CT: EXPOSED BY A STRAVA KOM

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

spud

by spud

tymon_tm wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 11:43 am
AJS914 wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 2:38 pm
I think the profit from a high end shop is overated. Very few markets can support high end shops where $10K+ bikes go out the door on a daily basis.

I've known many shop owners over the years and none were what I'd call rich - not rich like a cardiologist or a lawyer with a successful practice. All were middle to upper middle class though and didn't sit at a desk all day.

The high end shop near my house went out of business because they stuck to the high end road bike market when times were changing. They were carrying a lot of inventory with lots of unsold frames hanging in that shop. This owner looked down his nose at mountain bikes and kids bikes and his business model finally fell flat on its face.
sure, there's also a matter of perspective and life goals. what's the best word to describe someone who can achieve those material goals without borrowing money, secure their kids' future, keep on smiling on a daily basis and ride his damn bike whenever he or she wants to? from my POV that's wealth. I believe you don't really need millions of any given currency sitting on bank account, or a posh car to call yourself just that.
I don't know any shop owners who have the opportunity to ride whenever they want. Owning a shop is hard work, made all the worse by the relatively low margins/revenue streams, which means hiring/keeping good help is difficult. The gross margin on a bike is 35%, but the owner has the eat the cost of building the bike, which could easily be 4+ hours to cut the hoses etc on an integrated bike, beyond the overhead being carried.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Andrew69

by Andrew69

Wow, thats gold!
That guy (almost) makes Lance look like a choir boy!

JayOJonson

by JayOJonson

Amazing!