Xpresso pedal problem

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

KCookie

by KCookie

Hi Guys

I have Xpresso 15s & 12s and both are experiencing the same problem. One of the pedals isn't spinning freely.
I've removed the spindle and bearings, cleaned and re greased but soon as I start to tighten the threaded cap the spindle just get tighter to.
Can anyone explain why this is happening as I have no clue why.
Considering these are expensive pedals surely this should happen.
The 12s were bought second hand but never used so are relatively new.
One of the 15s spindles has worn badly which needs replacing but I can't seem to find any online.
I've contacted Time France many times with no answer. Time USA took 9 months to answer and they won't send out of USA and said speak to Sram.
So I guess that's my next avenue for spare parts.
Just installed brand new Xpro 12s and they dont even spin that well either. Hopefully they will come good.
Only lesson I've learnt is not to waste my money on these pedals anymore.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Last edited by KCookie on Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Attermann

by Attermann

Do you just tighten it all way down?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KCookie

by KCookie

Yes I do. Basically how they came when bought. Even if I back off the cap a little it still doesn't spin freely.
Half way tightened and it's ok but surely that will creak like made as there will be movement. 3 sets all with the same problem. That's a lot of money sitting there.
I'll call Sram Australia tomorrow for some info.

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

If I remeber correctly if the bearing feels fine there are bushings I had to replace when worn on the far side of the spindle. Loved them for their weight and they lasted 5 years with multiple bearing and bushing replacemnts and needed to replace on pedal body in the process as well. Now on Dura Ace 9100 pedals. No wear issues and one set is two years ols and the other three and still spin very smoothly. I rather have more weight and a reat functioning pedal.

glepore

by glepore

There's info here about how to replace the bushing with bearings . viewtopic.php?t=149272
The bearings are available on ebay. Its a common skateboard size. Have done this on multiple pedals.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Attermann

by Attermann

you are supposed to tighten them until the play is away, more than that, you crush the bearings.

and they come with needle bearings instead of bushings now.

KCookie

by KCookie

Thanks guys for the replies.

I actually came across this tread years ago and did buy the bearings. They all do actually have the needle bearings apart from the 6s I have on my Zwift set up which I changed to the new bearings.

My only mistake was that I didn't back off the threaded cap to find the sweet spot. I missed that part and just assumed I needed to tighten all the way. I will now try the correct way with some thread lock, which should eliminate the tightening.

Much appreciated guys.

KCookie

by KCookie

For the pedals to spin freely I had to back off the cap way to far. The 15s need a new spindle so Sram has said to send in all 3 pairs and they will service them.

Attermann

by Attermann

I find the sweet spot, and then on the underside, a small drop of fast curing glue, thread locker won't work because it's plastic.

KCookie

by KCookie

To me the sweet spot was half way. Surely that can't be right. As 2 pairs need parts my LBS will send them to Sram.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Attermann

by Attermann

Sounds like the needle bearing isn't in the correct place if your spindle binds already at half, I usually have them almost at the bottom