Gazprom-Rusvelo UAE Tour

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

blueturtle

by blueturtle

After the invasion of Ukraine by Russia the west have implemented a number of sanctions against Russia, including cancelling the Russian f1 race and changing the football final from St. Petersberg to Paris amongst other things. Am i alone in thinking that the Russian cycling team Gazprom-Rusvelo now competing in the UAE Tour should have their licence to compete suspended and be withdrawn from future events as a reprisal for the actions that Russia has taken.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stendhal

by Stendhal

blueturtle wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:28 pm
After the invasion of Ukraine by Russia the west have implemented a number of sanctions against Russia, including cancelling the Russian f1 race and changing the football final from St. Petersberg to Paris amongst other things. Am i alone in thinking that the Russian cycling team Gazprom-Rusvelo now competing in the UAE Tour should have their licence to compete suspended and be withdrawn from future events as a reprisal for the actions that Russia has taken.
You are not alone, at least in considering this seriously. Gazprom is majority-owned by the Russian government per Gazprom's website and widely considered to be an instrument of Russian policy. Although I would not advocate this as a "reprisal", but rather a consequence.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

ooo

by ooo

https://schalke04.de/verein/schriftzug-trikots/
FC Schalke 04 removes GAZPROM lettering from jerseys

In view of the events, development and escalation of the past few days, FC Schalke 04 has decided to remove the lettering of its main sponsor - "GAZPROM" - from the jerseys. This step follows discussions with GAZPROM Germania. Instead, "Schalke 04" will be on the chest of the Royal Blues.
'

Stendhal

by Stendhal

ooo wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:39 am
https://schalke04.de/verein/schriftzug-trikots/
FC Schalke 04 removes GAZPROM lettering from jerseys

In view of the events, development and escalation of the past few days, FC Schalke 04 has decided to remove the lettering of its main sponsor - "GAZPROM" - from the jerseys. This step follows discussions with GAZPROM Germania. Instead, "Schalke 04" will be on the chest of the Royal Blues.
It's now been reported that Manchester United has ended its sponsorship deal with Aeroflot, and that Formula 1 team Haas has removed its sponsor branding (including the zrussian flag colors) from Uralkali, which is owned by a close associate of Putin.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

uraqt

by uraqt

You are not alone .. it's sad that F1 was the 1st organzation/company to spet up support the Ukraine....Where are all the big tech firms, oh mighty $$$$ talks.... ... Kuwait wasn't part of Nato but becasue it has oil/money everyone stepped up so so sad!!

"We" as the rest of the free world have let down the Ukraine people and take some responblity for alowing this to continue.

I hope for a speedy end to the war and return to peace and fredom for the Ukraine...

C

maquisard

by maquisard

It is unacceptable that any Russian sponsor, team or rider continue in the sport of cycling while events in Ukraine continue to happen.

This is extremely harsh on the riders. However in perspective of people dying in Ukraine, not being able to race your bike is merely an inconvenience.

Russia as a country needs to be cancelled and shut off from the rest of the world. It and it's citizen's cannot expect to be allowed to participate in normal life until Putin resigns and it withdraws from Ukraine.

Miller

by Miller

Boot gazprom out.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

uraqt wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:35 am
You are not alone .. it's sad that F1 was the 1st organzation/company to spet up support the Ukraine....Where are all the big tech firms, oh mighty $$$$ talks.... ... Kuwait wasn't part of Nato but becasue it has oil/money everyone stepped up so so sad!!
Well in a way yes, oil was the reason the west got involved in that domestic squabble between two dictatorships. But let's be serious, Iraq is not Russia, and the reasons you would militarily step in against one vs the other are not just about money.

maquisard

by maquisard

Karvalo wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:40 pm
But let's be serious, Iraq is not Russia, and the reasons you would militarily step in against one vs the other are not just about money.
Exactly right, as appealing as it might be to establish a no-fly zone over the Ukraine. The repercussions of this involve shooting down Russian aircraft. This then means the West/NATO entering into a full scale war with Russia - no one wants to enter down that path. Putin knew this as well, so the invasion of Ukraine was a calculated risk before Ukraine becomes part of NATO. Increasing it looks like Putin misculated.

F U C K R U S S I A

liam7020

by liam7020

Yep, fully agree that Gazprom should be booted out immediately and just now I see Putin has raised the stakes again by putting his nuclear forces on high alert. The invasion of Ukraine is obviously not going according to plan so now he feels the need to increase the level of intimidation. Difficult to know if he's unstable enough to go ahead and push the button but I personally think the world needs to pony up and put this dangerous little cunt firmly in his box. I can't remember which Russian dictator it was, perhaps Stalin, but he defined the Russian approach to battle, and I'm paraphrasing here, as follows - "Stick the bayonet in and if it meets mush, push even harder. If the bayonet meets steel, withdraw." We, the world, need to meet him with steel.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

Omiar

by Omiar

Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

liam7020

by liam7020

I read today in Velonews that Look have pulled the sponsorship plug on Gazprom. Chapeau!

There still appears to be no steer from the UCI on banning Russian participation in cycling events despite the fact many many other sports have quite rightly done so. The UCI need to do the right thing and get off the fence before they get splinters in their arse.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

guyc

by guyc

UCI bans Russian and Belarusian athletes from cycling competitions, bans teams, too, and any sponsorship from Russian brands.

https://twitter.com/carltonreid/status/ ... 15/photo/1

liam7020

by liam7020

Proper order, job done. Good spot guyc.

spartacus

by spartacus

They should have been banned anyways for persistent state sponsored doping across all kinds of sports!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com