Registration cost is getting out of hand

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Kingstonian

by Kingstonian

liam7020 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:17 pm
Wow! De Ronde has certainly shot up in price - I've done it a on couple of occasions and at that time it was only 27 Euro. Still it's definitely worth the money, an excellent day out on iconic roads.

Yeah - it is a great day out. Great atmosphere during the ride too. Worth every penny IMO.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

I saw on 2022 Levi grand Fondo you will have to finish this year course in certain hours to qualify a spot for the 2023 one.

I am guessing maybe a lot of new to the sport riders signed up for these events but cannot finish on time in recent years?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

PoorCyclist wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:09 pm
I saw on 2022 Levi grand Fondo you will have to finish this year course in certain hours to qualify a spot for the 2023 one.

I am guessing maybe a lot of new to the sport riders signed up for these events but cannot finish on time in recent years?
they have always had a time cut off for the longer routes... but the prices are too much this year.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

spdntrxi wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:32 pm
PoorCyclist wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:09 pm

they have always had a time cut off for the longer routes... but the prices are too much this year.
I liked the origin route they had. This year is shorter and one big climb and looks very feasible to ride solo. Price is high but inline with these other waffle events.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

agreed.. old route was scenic especially the decent to the coast which was stunning. I wont miss coleman valley though.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

spartacus

by spartacus

spdntrxi wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:35 am
indeed.. and I am also not a fan of for example separating BWR CA into 2 days. I dont think I have the want to do the long course this year and it was nice chatting with VeganCyclist and taking a very short pull for Dylan of youtube fame.
2021 BWR CA was an absolute MAD HOUSE though. I can see why they need to split it up.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

It's like crack. They hook you on a low cost, then the price goes up. Many events cannot support thousands of people. The cost of insurance has got to be way more than anyone thinks it is. Probably 10x what you think. I suspect trying to get the emergency support is no cheap either. There has got to be a balance where the cost of admission is acceptable to the cost of running the circus.

It's no surprise that organizers want to make money. It's also no surprise that there is a lot at risk. If you have a ride that you can only manage to have 500 riders, but there are thousands that want to get in, why would you not want to cash in? I honestly do not think any bike organizer is making a killing.

With all those challenges, throw in the covid protocal. What happens when the next variant comes around and you are shut down. Everyone wants their money back but as an organizer, you have spent it for........organizing. Nobody is making a killing, matter of fact, I bet it's like a kick in the sack when someone mentions that it costs too much.

Remember Tour of California? Colorado? Utah? No profit on any of those races.

AJS914

by AJS914

Those pro races are totally different from a BWR fondo that charges $200 to ride on public roads in a quasi-race format.

In the end it comes down to supply and demand and right now the demand on these events outstrips the supply.

Sadly, cycling has become Rolexified. There is a contingent of cyclists that will buy $15,000 bikes, $500 shoes, $300 bibs, etc. The icing on the cake is the entry to a brand name event. The cost for this type of cyclist is nothing.

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

PeytonM wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:50 am
We are seeing the same thing in Australia. Fondo's costs $200-300AUD ($150-200usd). They appear to be selling out too.

My group ride most of these same roads at other times of the year for free.

If you have the race bug, we pay $15aud for club crits. You can crit race 5 nights a week during summer in Sydney.
Even our local small-ish crit races are getting expensive at $40/per. But the problem is that no one is promoting road racing, at least where I'm at. I'm actually strongly considering trying to organize a race, but I wouldn't know where to begin.
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

nickf

by nickf

AJS914 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:45 pm
Those pro races are totally different from a BWR fondo that charges $200 to ride on public roads in a quasi-race format.

In the end it comes down to supply and demand and right now the demand on these events outstrips the supply.

Sadly, cycling has become Rolexified. There is a contingent of cyclists that will buy $15,000 bikes, $500 shoes, $300 bibs, etc. The icing on the cake is the entry to a brand name event. The cost for this type of cyclist is nothing.
This. ^^

I can see where promotors got hung out to dry during the pandemic shutdowns. Deferred entries limit new money coming in for the following year, where we are now. I would be happy if they would scale it back. I don't need any of their food, sags. Water on the route is all I need. At this point I'm self sufficient and carry all of my nutrition, most of the guys I ride with are the same. On other hand all the events around me are all on public roads, so back to my original point.

smartyiak

by smartyiak

AJS914 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:45 pm

Cycling is the new golf!

I agree...and it's in running too. Some 5k are getting to be $40-50. I refuse to pay $$$$ for something I can LITERALLY do, outside my front door and back, in about 20min. I get the "it's for a good cause"...all of them are. Make it a 10K and I'll consider your cause.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

nickf wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:29 pm
First off I know races take money, permits, etc.

Some of these races and events are asking what I would consider a premium to participate. $250 to register for the Asheville Belgium Waffle ride is a bit much. I get it, it's a well put on event, I did it last year when a friend sold me a ticket for a fraction of the price. But it feels like these promotors are just cashing in. I don't need to see washed up pro toeing the line, I could care less. Another MTB races is only 27 miles long, $90. I can do all of these routes by myself unsupported. Don't want to sound like a grouch. I can afford it but a lot of these events I don't see the value in it. I can't be the only one.
Luckily there is cool alternate events popping up. In SoCal we have the LA tourist races and Strada Rossa. Nor Cal has the amazing Grasshopper series races that are still somwewhat reasonable. This is what happens when shit gets popular, like Leadville after Lance did it. Look around and do small stuff.

dolophonic

by dolophonic

HAHA.. they got you right where they want you... you bought the "Gravel Bike" ... the "gravel Wheels / Tires"...Even the special "Gravel Bibs" !!

now of course you got to fly to iceland / Idaho to do a stupid gravel grand fondo.. i mean its all you see everywhere. The reality is the whole Gravel vibe wass about exploring new areas and getting off the beaten track, to go for fun rides and try to push the envelpoe of what your bike can do.

The grasshopper is now a pay to play event, might get sold on to a big promoter. :noidea: ..i think it started out as a fun ride for pals, bring some beer for the "winner"vibe.. just like the old Gents Races.. its a real shame but its a reflection of society and consumerism.
I go ride dirt all the time and have a blast, we look at new routes and crew up with mates to explore fun rides.
We will have a go at each other as all cyclists tend to do.. see who has the legs etc. but the whole Grandfondo effect is not really what its about.

The shame is real racing like Mount Hood , or local road races have dissapeared. partly because so much hype on gravel, partly cos its not easy to put on a road race.

Fondo rides pretending to be a race .. kind of sums up the whole marketing scheme.

Lvevi's Grand fondo is a great example, just go ride Kings ridge route any time with with some pals and enjoy, especially when the roads are quiet... who needs thousands of choppers trying to show off their new bling..?

spud

by spud

So long as these events sell out, it's clear these promoters are providing a service the community wants. For those who have been riding a long time and know a lot of people, there will be smaller/less expensive events that give riders the fun of riding in a new place, hopefully with some cool people along the way.

One of my worst experiences was doing the New York Gran Fondo in its first or second year. A king's ransom for entry fee, and there wasn't a cold drink or shade to be found anywhere near the finish line. Ended up having to ride back across the GW to my car about 4 miles away to get a drink. Also had the pleasure of riding with a few guys who would not take a pull in paceline, or even reliably follow the wheel, when I was in pure survival mode with cramps etc. Just because they wanted to save it so they could nail us on the hills.

I understand they've fixed the finish line problem, but I've never been back.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lina

by Lina

I thought the entire point of fondos was to leverage numbers. A lot easier to organize something that isn't an office park crit when there are thousands of people paying for it vs. maybe a hundred. Of course you could go ride the same route some other time on your own. But it's not the same, there's no support, no camaraderie, no "racing". And just because the vast majority of riders are there for the experience doesn't mean that there isn't any racing going on in the top end. If you feel like you don't want or need any of that no one is forcing you to sign up. The events itself are a major reason for going for most of the people that go there. And as long as they sell out I don't see why they'd lower their prices.