2022 PRO Thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

Right if you all want to talk parenting feel free to start a new thread. Let's keep this on track. Any further off topic posts will just be removed 🙏
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spud

by spud

re team Quickstep, they have always won a lot of races. My impression is that to field a Tour winning squad, you have to invest a lot of money in people who don't win a lot of races ie really good climbers or TT riders but not the very best. When the climbing stages whittle down to 8-10 people, only the very best/deepest teams will have more than guy in it. Will Lefevere be able to handle spending big $ and not getting wins regularly?

Aeo

by Aeo

Julian has a contract until 2024, I wonder if he is looking to get out sooner if the team hard-focuses on Remco
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

spud wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:53 pm
re team Quickstep, they have always won a lot of races. My impression is that to field a Tour winning squad, you have to invest a lot of money in people who don't win a lot of races ie really good climbers or TT riders but not the very best. When the climbing stages whittle down to 8-10 people, only the very best/deepest teams will have more than guy in it. Will Lefevere be able to handle spending big $ and not getting wins regularly?
GTs aren't won only in the highest mountains. take those windy rolling stages, where you can "easily" put a minute or two on your rivals provided you've got a proper horsepower at your disposal. arguably in most of these situations we've witnessed, it was impossible to make most of it, as big teams focus on climber-domestiques, and riders they have for pulling on flats, are nowhere near the names Remco can count on. IMHO QS can outgun others by a country mile if an opportunity presents itself.

also, remember how Sky used to burn some of the best riders on the planet for their leaders? if Kwiato at his prime could sacrifice himself, so can e.g. Alaphilippe. of course the question remains if it even makes sense for Remco to do the Tour so early. but if they chose to, QS already has more than a decent squad. where they lack in climbing, they make up in sheer strenght and experience, something money can't buy that easily.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

Its not like they need to replace the whole squad. If they focus on one GT a year, 2-3 strong additional climbers might be enough to field a competitive team. Jumbo or Ineos target GC's all year round and therefore they'll have a different team structure.

djel

by djel

tymon_tm wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:01 pm
of course the question remains if it even makes sense for Remco to do the Tour so early.
He just won a GT with about 50km of time trial that netted him close to 2 minutes on his rivals. If the 2023 TdF has 50km+ of TT (similar to 2022), why wouldn't he go for it?

spud

by spud

tymon_tm wrote:
spud wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:53 pm
GTs aren't won only in the highest mountains. take those windy rolling stages, where you can "easily" put a minute or two on your rivals provided you've got a proper horsepower at your disposal. arguably in most of these situations we've witnessed, it was impossible to make most of it, as big teams focus on climber-domestiques, and riders they have for pulling on flats, are nowhere near the names Remco can count on. IMHO QS can outgun others by a country mile if an opportunity presents itself.

also, remember how Sky used to burn some of the best riders on the planet for their leaders? if Kwiato at his prime could sacrifice himself, so can e.g. Alaphilippe. of course the question remains if it even makes sense for Remco to do the Tour so early. but if they chose to, QS already has more than a decent squad. where they lack in climbing, they make up in sheer strenght and experience, something money can't buy that easily.
I don't think Ineos/Sky EVER got bossed by Quickstep in the cross winds in a tour stage. To the extent it ever happened to Jumbo, it's because Roglic was sleeping in the bunch too far back. When you look at this year's tour, look at the two times Vingegaard took time out of Pogacar - once with Roglic one-timing him, and another when WVA drilled it so hard that Pogacar cracked. Evenpoel is really good, but I don't see him cracking those two guys in a climb. GC Teams need at least 2 really good climbers to support the leader since it's inevitable that one of them will have an off day at some point. Look at UAE, they've got 3 guys that, on their day, can stay with the leader late into a stage. Those guys don't win a ton of races, and I doubt they come cheap.

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

Remco will get crushed by Pog, healthy Rog, and JV at the TdF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Karvalo

by Karvalo

djel wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:47 pm
tymon_tm wrote:
of course the question remains if it even makes sense for Remco to do the Tour so early.
He just won a GT with about 50km of time trial that netted him close to 2 minutes on his rivals. If the 2023 TdF has 50km+ of TT (similar to 2022), why wouldn't he go for it?
Because he'll be up against better TTers who are also better climbers with better teams than he faced in Spain and he won't win? I think the guy is brilliant but it's probably a better idea for him to do Giro/Vuelta than TdF at this stage.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

LedZeppelin007 wrote:Remco will get crushed by Pog, healthy Rog, and JV at the TdF.

Roglic wont win a grand tour again

jasjas

by jasjas

robbosmans wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:42 pm
LedZeppelin007 wrote:Remco will get crushed by Pog, healthy Rog, and JV at the TdF.

Roglic wont win a grand tour again
Why not? he could have won this years Vuelta and he is very good on the v steep climbs we usually see in the Vuelta, he is only 32 but sure he wont win the TdF

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

maquisard wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:37 am
Please can we drop this topic and return to talking about cycling...
OK...Why did Cav whore himself out with the usual LA suspects?
Maybe LA was kind to him years ago...so that justifies sullying his rep?
Last edited by UpFromOne on Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

spokenwords

by spokenwords

because of Hincapie. That crew probably knows about more than a few of Cavs skeletons.
"Notice how the door closes when the chimes of freedom ring." Joe Strummer
"this goes to 11" Nigel Tufnel
Dont move to Austin
Major Taylor rules.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

just strikes me as odd if Cav really wants to continue.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spud

by spud

^ what's going on w Cav?