2022 PRO Thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

tymon_tm wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:43 pm
Mr.Gib wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:57 pm
OnTheRivet wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:16 pm
Have TWO friends, one a coach, who have pacemakers now after developing heart issues right after their boosters. *f##k* amazing coincidence.
OnTheRivet wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:16 pm
I'm a mechanical engineer. Lifelong Democratic voter until the last election ( did some early volunteer work for the Elizabeth Warren campaign)...
:lol:

so... who do flat earthers and chemtrailers vote for?
[Yawn] that's the best you have? I am stating a fact.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spokenwords

by spokenwords

Honestly I dont want Cav to break Merckx's record. Not because I dont like Cav but because...its Merckx. He won all kinds of stages in all kinds of ways. However, I do think Cav should be there. Its not his fault he won so many stages (well, it is, but maybe u get it)
"Notice how the door closes when the chimes of freedom ring." Joe Strummer
"this goes to 11" Nigel Tufnel
Dont move to Austin
Major Taylor rules.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

spokenwords wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:25 am
Honestly I dont want Cav to break Merckx's record. Not because I dont like Cav but because...its Merckx. He won all kinds of stages in all kinds of ways. However, I do think Cav should be there. Its not his fault he won so many stages (well, it is, but maybe u get it)
Records are made to broken

spokenwords

by spokenwords

Oh, I thought they were made as a symbol status.
"Notice how the door closes when the chimes of freedom ring." Joe Strummer
"this goes to 11" Nigel Tufnel
Dont move to Austin
Major Taylor rules.

EdWiser

by EdWiser

Cav was at the TDF team introduction at least Image

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

thats messed up
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

micky

by micky

Jakobsen be like

maquisard

by maquisard

Predictions for the first stage?

Obvious choice is Ganna followed by Asgreen and WvA.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

spdntrxi wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:52 am
thats messed up
big time... :shock: just a hit below the belt for Cav
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

quick question for those of you who follow closely other disciplines - can you recall a situation when a team's or an athlete's hotel room is raided by local police during a sporting event? :noidea:

like, for instance, can you imagine a bunch of DIs turning Djokovic's apartment serching for dope just before 1st round of Wimbledon? I bet the whole tennis community would be outraged...

ave

by ave

Maybe Djokovic didn't win two back to back mountain top finish stages a year before, like Padun (then a Bahrain rider) did.
I'm pretty sure police have information to base this raid on, just unknown to us.

And it's not a new thing in cycling. 1998 for example.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

spdntrxi wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:52 am
thats messed up
Recalling/Reminding in a video the success of last years team without showing Cav would be difficult though.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

ave wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:35 am
Maybe Djokovic didn't win two back to back mountain top finish stages a year before, like Padun (then a Bahrain rider) did.
I'm pretty sure police have information to base this raid on, just unknown to us.

And it's not a new thing in cycling. 1998 for example.
yeah, it's a 20+ year long tradition for sure...

what I'm asking though - why is cycling community struggling so much to protect itself and it's image? it's not a piss poor discpline it was during Festina times, each team is a multimillion dollar operation, often with pretty hefty backers, like Bahrain or Total Energies. yet they obviously don't have any reach whatsover when it comes to authorities just bustling through their rooms in the eve of the most important race in calendar. again - it would be unthinkable if we *only* switched disciplines; from WT cycling to, NBA, NFL, Champions League, ATP, WTA, FIVB... you name it

maquisard

by maquisard

tymon_tm wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:04 pm
yet they obviously don't have any reach whatsover when it comes to authorities just bustling through their rooms in the eve of the most important race in calendar
They shouldn't have any reach to stop this sort of action by the police. It is not like the police randomly decided to raid a hotel. There is process required around this and in France at least a formal investigation must have been opened for the search to take place.

The fact that these raids happened in several jurisdictions indicates that this is not some whim of one individual. If multiple jurisdictions are involved the case will have needed to have been presented to multiple judiciaries and with that comes scrutiny.

I have no problem with it.

Packs

by Packs

Not many people make a big sums of money from cycling. Yes sponors have multi-million pound deals, but that's tiny compared to say a football team and all the revenue from tickets/merchandise. Most of the individuals in cycling only get relatively small amounts. In other sports so many more people make big money and can use it to protect the sport. That's my take on it - cycling is an easy unprotected target.
Just look at operation puerto - all those other non-cycling athlete's evidence just disappeared 🤔

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com