2022 PRO Thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Stendhal

by Stendhal

Stendhal wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:53 am
Stendhal wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:48 am
To continue a prior string the top 60 finishers earn UCI points, and even 10th place earns 100 points -- a material number. None of the really big numbers will go to the teams fighting for the spots. I figure Israel - Premier Tech is now out of contention, it really needed the 600 pts for the win. If Matthews has won that would have virtually clinched a spot for BE
Shock -- Matthews third. That's 400 points and vaults BE from 17th to 15th unless the intervening teams pick up points
BikeExchange gets 400 crucial points from Matthews = 15,748 total UCI points. Did not see any other BE riders but may have missed, don't think so though I just checked again

EF gets 200, 160 from Bettiol's 8th place finish, 30 from Powless in 18th place, 10 from Cort = 15,642. With about 180 added earlier from Bisseger, the team's focus on the Worlds paid off big time even as they saved their South American climbing contingent for the remaining European races including Il Lombardia (500 points for winner, many large points totals on down as was the case today)

Don't know enough about the Arkea and Cofidis team members to pick out whether they gained points. Looking through the list twice I didn't see any

Don't see any from Lotto, which was 800 pts behind Cofidis and BE going in. Lotto has been focused on European races

Israel - Premier Tech gets 275 from Trentin for 5th -- correction, nope, I got him confused with Nizzolo -- so only 10 from Clarke and 3 from Fuglsang. They came in way behind 18th place Cofidis and barely gained any ground. They are cooked. They were 50 behind EF for 2022 only results and thus lost ground on that race too. If I-PT moves past EF for 2022 it gets back into one of the 2 spots with byes into the Grand Tours if Lotto passes EF, the other is Total Energies who also gained 175 points today from Sagan's 7th place finish. I-PT had been well ahead of EF in the 2022-only race but is now 250 behind. It's best chance of getting into the Tour IMO is hiring Cavendish to try to sell the team as chasing history.

Ivan Cortina firms up Movistar's 14th slot with 85, very close to DSM. 10 more from Oliviera if he is in Movistar's top 10 for the year (only the top 10 per team count)

I think the status with less than 10% of the points available will be:
DSM 13th place at 15,960.71
Movistar 14th place at about 15,890 points
Bike Exchange 15 at 15,748.5, note that it is not scheduled in as many upcoming races as the other teams unless it signs up at the last minute
EF Easypost 16 at 15,642.65

--- about a 240 point gap ...
Arkea - Samsic 17 at 15,403
Cofidis 18 at 15,348 (you can see from how tightly packed the teams are how important today's points are, there are 6 teams within about 620 points)

... 800 points, into relegation from World Tour license zone
Lotto which has clinched one of the GT wildcard invitations, 19 at 14,540

... >1200 points
Israel - Premier Tech at 13,326.6
Last edited by Stendhal on Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:27 am, edited 12 times in total.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Karvalo

by Karvalo

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:25 am
Overhyped.
Especially disappointing that he only won by two and a half minutes. I expected a much stronger performance.

When was the last time a male rider won one event and medalled in the other in the same year?

Stendhal

by Stendhal

Karvalo wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:36 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Overhyped.
Especially disappointing that he only won by two and a half minutes. I expected a much stronger performance.

When was the last time a male rider won one event and medalled in the other in the same year?
Just checked. The UCI world championship time trial did not start until 1994. (Who knew?) In 1995, Miguel Indurain won the time trial and was second to Abraham Olano in the road race, and vice versa. A winner-medalist had not happened since until today. Indeed, between 1995 and today, no male rider had won ANY medal in both events in the same year; in other words, each year, the podia for the two events were different.
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

Stendhal

by Stendhal

More on Mr. Overhyped. He has medaled in the men's world championship time trial every time he has competed, starting in 2019 at age 19 (after having won the junior worlds in 2018). That's three medals in three events because he missed the 2020 worlds due to the crash at Il Lombardia, which was held before the Worlds in that pandemic year.

But perhaps he is slipping. When he won the 2018 European junior road race the same year he won the time trial, his victory margin was 9:44.

de zwarten

by de zwarten

Stendhal wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:47 am
Karvalo wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:36 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Overhyped.

Just checked. The UCI world championship time trial did not start until 1994. (Who knew?) In 1995, Miguel Indurain won the time trial and was second to Abraham Olano in the road race, and vice versa. A winner-medalist had not happened since until today. Indeed, between 1995 and today, no male rider had won ANY medal in both events in the same year; in other words, each year, the podia for the two events were different.
I thought Wout van Aert won silver in the TT and road race in Imola?

maquisard

by maquisard

That is correct on WvA.

Well done to Remco, he rode a great race and is finally starting to live up to the hype this season.

Stendhal

by Stendhal

maquisard wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:18 am
That is correct on WvA.

Well done to Remco, he rode a great race and is finally starting to live up to the hype this season.
You are correct on Imola, I stand corrected.

Miller

by Miller

I'm feeling sorry for MvdP. Everything ruined due to the behaviour of a couple of sh!tty teens.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Stendhal wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:47 am
Quality research skills :beerchug:

On the 'most overhyped' subject I'd be interested in getting Maquisard's expert opinion on MvdP. I love the guy (who doesn't?) but I can't remember more hype around a rider's entry to the senior road scene. And at 27 on the road he's got 2 monuments, no GT classifications and no senior world medals. Sagan was often criticised as having a disappointing record in major one day races and at 27 he had 5 green jerseys, 3 world champs and 1 monument. At 22 Evenpoel has 1 monument, 1 GT overall win and 1 senior world champs. And people will claim, with a straight face, that he's not living up to his potential?
Last edited by Karvalo on Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

jasjas

by jasjas

maquisard wrote:
That is correct on WvA.

Wow dammed with faint praise!!

guyc

by guyc

The lad is just 22 and he's 'finally starting to live up to the hype'.

Jesus. Last rider to win a monument, a GT and the Worlds in the same season was one Bernard Hinault. The only 3 other riders tp do this you may also have heard of.

Merckx
Saronni
Binda

Karvalo

by Karvalo

maquisard wrote:
That is correct on WvA.

*f##k* finally?

He's the youngest world champion since Lance. The youngest Vuelta winner since 1961. The youngest Liege winner since '68.

What the *f##k* do you mean finally? :lol:

maquisard

by maquisard

UPDATE: Mathieu van der Poel's passport has been seized and he is scheduled to appear in court on September 27, according to commentators on the local race feed.

Oh dear, I suspect there is more to this story than reported but it sounds like things 'over-escalated (is this the word?) quickly.

The teenagers should not have been banging on his door repeatedly. But at the same time, the reaction of using physical force in a situation like this is not a good course to take by MVdP. Sometimes the police have no option but to follow procedure, particularly if parents insist on pressing charges. Hopefully a judge in court will have a pragmatic attitude to the sorry affair and handle it appropriately based on the available evidence. That is not to say that if MVdP acted violently that he should escape punishment.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Perhaps teenagers were paid off to do this by a worlds competitor?????? It would not surprise me. But more likely kids just being kids and him not dealing with it properly. It is easy to lose temper under stress but it is best to remember they are only children
Last edited by mike on Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

there's an old soviet joke:

- is it true they're giving away cars on the Red Square?
- yes, although not on a Red Square but near central railway station, not cars but bikes, and not giving but stealing them

this is how much we know about MVDP incident so far. perhaps it's wise to wait till someone officially clarifies what's what, no?
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com