2022 PRO Thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

maquisard

by maquisard

Cipo is not in the same league as Cavendish, embarrasssing to even compare them.

Besides Cipollini is a repugnant disgusting human being, he deserves to be expunged from all records.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ave

by ave

Why not, maquisard?
Both were quite dominant sprinters in their time, record number of sprint stage wins in their favourite GTs, both were world champions even, and won MIlan San Remo, for example.

Cipollini is an ******, no doubt. But people hate cavendish too.

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

Not really a Cav fan, but I am certainly locked in for all the DRAMA that's sure to surround him this year if he can find any form at all. History does not bode well for him, however. How many riders have left the Wolfpack and had any comparable success on their next team? Not many I'd wager.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Editor to journo working Cav saga: "if you put that on the internet, people are gonna read it!"
Not many other stories are getting such mileage out of nothing really of any substance. Drama? Schmama!

And at a time when there are so many other, far more compelling stories to tell.
Inquiring minds wanna know how the race paces have gotten so fast.
Or what these kids are doing that makes them so resilient to the stresses of pro racing.
Or where the lack of respect in the peloton (you've all heard the reports) is taking the sport.
Et cetera.

micky

by micky

Cav was filmed the other day in a very blurry video on the road between Calpe and Benidorm riding what looked like a Wilier blue/silver.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

C36 wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:14 pm
No… I think this is a bad example, I followed Cipollini career very closely and I can ensure it was not making headlines when he signed to Liquigas end of 2004 season (and that was just 2 years after 2002 world title and 2 giro victories in 2003). That was the one example I had in mind when i though how out of proportion Cav coverage was. But as I said… I know it’s not a popular opinion.
It did when he signed for Rock Racing.

Anyway, did any of that happen at the last minute in December after his previous team folded and it looked like he was out of options? It all adds to the story - yes including the record because that is a thing people are excited about.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

UpFromOne wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:58 am

And at a time when there are so many other, far more compelling stories to tell.
Inquiring minds wanna know how the race paces have gotten so fast.
Or what these kids are doing that makes them so resilient to the stresses of pro racing.
Or where the lack of respect in the peloton (you've all heard the reports) is taking the sport.
Et cetera.
All of that requires the kind of long term investment of time and effort that'd get a journalist fired by Outside :wink:

Never mind that it's always going to be a big mix of opinion with only a few facts available to find. ('Kids these days have no respect!' is a story as old as written language, btw)

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

I see that Jumbo-Visma have confirmed their material choices for 2023. SRAM it is and, much to my surprise, they won't be going with SRAM-owned Time pedals but will use Speedplay!

I hope they're ready to warranty a lot of pedals!!

BenSiskri

by BenSiskri

It will be interesting to see what pedals/ shoes Van Aert, Vader, Vos & Van Empel wear off-road in MTB/CX......
Trek Crockett 4
Giant TCR Advanced 3

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

BdaGhisallo wrote:I see that Jumbo-Visma have confirmed their material choices for 2023. SRAM it is and, much to my surprise, they won't be going with SRAM-owned Time pedals but will use Speedplay!

It’s a somewhat strange switch at this point. SRAM must’ve paid a ton of money and shown Jumbo their new stuff (hopefully a consistently performing front derailleur). Maybe Jumbo had it with Shimano’s crappy power meters and mediocre wheels. I do think it’s mildly interesting that Jumbo are going with Reserve wheels rather than Zipp, but maybe that’s part of their agreement with Cervelo. UAE have clearly upgraded their equipment while Jumbo has more cross-graded their equipment. We shall see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tarmackev

by tarmackev

I loved Cav and Cippo. Hard to judge fame level of Cippo without living in his homeland. I was watching religously at the time and he seemed HUGE.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

tarmackev wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:21 pm
I loved Cav and Cippo. Hard to judge fame level of Cippo without living in his homeland. I was watching religously at the time and he seemed HUGE. Also the internet and social media has changed eveything.

toronto-rider

by toronto-rider

LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:56 pm
BdaGhisallo wrote:I see that Jumbo-Visma have confirmed their material choices for 2023. SRAM it is and, much to my surprise, they won't be going with SRAM-owned Time pedals but will use Speedplay!

It’s a somewhat strange switch at this point. SRAM must’ve paid a ton of money and shown Jumbo their new stuff (hopefully a consistently performing front derailleur). Maybe Jumbo had it with Shimano’s crappy power meters and mediocre wheels. I do think it’s mildly interesting that Jumbo are going with Reserve wheels rather than Zipp, but maybe that’s part of their agreement with Cervelo. UAE have clearly upgraded their equipment while Jumbo has more cross-graded their equipment. We shall see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
All about the money. Shimano could not match the money that Sram offered. Nothing against Sram, but you wont find any pro team who buys their equipment and is not sponsored by Sram; they all buy Shimano. Interesting about Reserve wheels, not much of a player, I dont think anyone would have those wheels over Zipp, Enve, or Roval. But the bottom line, the pros are so good, not going to make a difference.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Not only money, but oem deals with cervelo are important to bike brands

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

itsacarr

by itsacarr

PON Holdings is significant. I imagine they wanted the brand continuity with Reserve to Cervelo - simple as that.
Just ride ..