New bike purchase - spend money on high-level bike or another China frame?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

inertianinja

by inertianinja

I just turned 41. I ride every day, but I stopped racing years ago due to kids and career demands on my time. I've owned some decent bikes - Felt AR1, Cervelo S2, etc.
However, 3 years ago I bought an open mold FM-066 just to try it out, and it's been my primary ride ever since. Light, stiff, aggressive, and cheap enough that I don't have to worry about it. Ive never felt like that $500 feameset was holding me back - if anything, the opposite.

My experience with the FM-066 put to rest any concerns about the differences in quality between so-called "china bikes" and major-brand bikes. the FM066 is relatively old even as open mold frames go, and it remains excellent.

I'm shopping for a new bike now. The most exciting bike ive seen is the Factor Ostro VAM, but at $10k+ I'm having trouble justifying that expensive a pro-level bike when there are options like the Winspace T1500 out there (which I think is cool, costs a fraction of the Ostro, and is probably more raceworthy than my 40+ year old ass).

Any thoughts on this? Is it silly for me to spend money on a pro-level bike at this point in my life?

manystyles

by manystyles

You only have one life. You also have to factor in your age. You’re at a pt in your life that you can think about spending this much, so it sounds like you can afford it.

At the same time, with age and health, you just never know what can happen.

Make a budget and get that sweet bike if you can swing it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

inertianinja wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:30 pm
Any thoughts on this? Is it silly for me to spend money on a pro-level bike at this point in my life?
You know it's silly but the state of the market is what it is. It kind of depends on how bad you want it. Personally, I think $5k+ framesets are horribly overpriced. I don't think I'd ever buy a new $10-15k bike at full retail. If I were buying new, I'd be looking at the $5-8k range for a whole bike or buy a framset and build it up. You get a nice bike for that price range. If you build it yourself and source your own wheels that don't cost $2500 you can really stretch the budget.

Hellgate

by Hellgate

Sure, why not? I bought an S5 with DA12 and I'm 57. I don't see what age has to do with anything. If you want a brand name bike buy one. You're young and have plenty to time to earn more money.

inertianinja

by inertianinja

manystyles wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:19 am
You only have one life. You also have to factor in your age. You’re at a pt in your life that you can think about spending this much, so it sounds like you can afford it.

At the same time, with age and health, you just never know what can happen.

Make a budget and get that sweet bike if you can swing it!

I'm thankful that the work I've put into my career over the past ~10 years has put my family in a place where I can even consider a big purchase.

Cycling has been extremely helpful for my mental health during that time and kept me in vastly better health than, for example, my father who passed away due to overworking. I'm never going to be Chris Froome, but riding his bike might be fun.

On the other hand, just becasue a purchase won't ruin me doesn't mean I should blow every dollar. :)

inertianinja

by inertianinja

AJS914 wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:37 am
inertianinja wrote:
You know it's silly but the state of the market is what it is. It kind of depends on how bad you want it. Personally, I think $5k+ framesets are horribly overpriced. I don't think I'd ever buy a new $10-15k bike at full retail. If I were buying new, I'd be looking at the $5-8k range for a whole bike or buy a framset and build it up. You get a nice bike for that price range. If you build it yourself and source your own wheels that don't cost $2500 you can really stretch the budget.
That's what I've been doing for years now, actually - just building custom bikes up from the frameset, transferring parts from prior bikes, etc.

Just the idea of buying a complete bike feels weird, let alone for $10k. I think if i were going to buy a complete, especially in this **ridiculous** bike market, it'd have to be something really exciting. Currently the Ostro does that, but the T1500 looks good as well.

Problem is, I don't see bikes coming DOWN in price anytime soon. Bikes are overpriced AND selling out. That means that even if supply increaes, the price will stick for a few years thereafter.

scapie

by scapie

inertianinja wrote:
Is it silly for me to spend money on a pro-level bike at this point in my life?
no

treat yourself

robertbb

by robertbb

If you are ready/able to spend that kind of money, spend it on a custom steel or Ti. It'll fit perfectly and will stand the test of time. Consider it a "lifetime" bike - it won't age like any off the shelf plastic frame you buy today - branded or otherwise.

manystyles

by manystyles

Hellgate wrote:Sure, why not? I bought an S5 with DA12 and I'm 57. I don't see what age has to do with anything. If you want a brand name bike buy one. You're young and have plenty to time to earn more money.
- I’m assuming the older you are, you’re more established and have more income.
- In the same token, the older you are, you have more ailments, aches and health issues.

manystyles

by manystyles

robertbb wrote:If you are ready/able to spend that kind of money, spend it on a custom steel or Ti. It'll fit perfectly and will stand the test of time. Consider it a "lifetime" bike - it won't age like any off the shelf plastic frame you buy today - branded or otherwise.
This.

I just bought a custom Firefly All-Road and that will be my forever bike.

micky

by micky

Few years back I was stopping at a local fountain where there were other cyclists getting the water on a sunny day.
2 elderly gentlemen were cheering each other and one was showing off his new bike to his mate.
When asked why he spent so much on a bike he replied "....you know, as you get older and slower, you must balance it with a nicer bike!".

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Comparing a factor ostro to a winspace isn’t a good comparison, the winspace is quite a lot heavier. The Ostro is supposed to be the perfect lightweight aero bike, they are not even in the same league

rjich

by rjich

It's cost Vs usage when it comes to hobbies which really aren't my primary focus. I haven't any experience with good open mould frames but i doubt it's night and day to brand named frames from up the factory up the road. I got back into bikes a few years ago and had the means to try what I wanted after years in my youth lusting. Now I have reached a place where I know what works for me and it's not necessarily Sworks or top end races race.

Perhaps try one out in a shop and see if you feel the FOMO!

inertianinja

by inertianinja

robertbb wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:25 am
If you are ready/able to spend that kind of money, spend it on a custom steel or Ti. It'll fit perfectly and will stand the test of time. Consider it a "lifetime" bike - it won't age like any off the shelf plastic frame you buy today - branded or otherwise.
I do love the look of firefly, sturdy, Baum, and the like. However, I did a custom steel once before a few years ago actually. The wait time for all the US builders was years, but I found an Italian builder who was able to do one in about a year. still a long wait time, customs was a mess, etc.

I rode it for a while, it was nice, but a delivery guy crashed into me and wrecked it. So much for forever :)

For this bike I'm really looking for techy aero road, and

usr

by usr

When you're racing, the (real or imagined) risk of an open mold dud eventually taking you down shrinks to insignificance compared to the general risk of race madness taking you down.

Wheras when you've aged out of racing you're only left with the general dangers of regular road usage and suddenly frame reliability creeps into view. Your bones are more brittle now, reactions slower and muscles weaker (those used you protect from injury in a crash far more so than those kept in shape by pushing pedals)

I'd say it's perfectly logical to leave the open mold value to young racers and the pro cosplay irrationality to an older audience. If you want to tone down the irrationality a little there's always the "Ultegra class" from the same brands (often even the same frames).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com