New bike purchase - spend money on high-level bike or another China frame?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Matt28NJ

by Matt28NJ

Usernamealex wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:15 pm
How about somewhere in the middle like a reliable, reasonably priced frame like a Giant TCR?
Great frames! Historically snoozer paint jobs, however.

davidalone

by davidalone

I would take a look at the SEKA Exceed RDC if you like the factor. The cost is just a little more than the Winspace and it looks very close to the Factor. There are multiple reviews of it on youtube. have seen one in the flesh and the build quality is really really really nic, you wont be disappointed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BobRider

by BobRider

davidalone wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:58 am
I would take a look at the SEKA Exceed RDC if you like the factor. The cost is just a little more than the Winspace and it looks very close to the Factor. There are multiple reviews of it on youtube. have seen one in the flesh and the build quality is really really really nic, you wont be disappointed.
I have had a look at the SEKA and after watching the review by Cam something or another, an Aussie youtuber, I wasn't so sure about it. Obviously all brands have issues, but I think Asian based brands have a bit more sensitivity around them.

But speaking of Winspace, I was doing a bit of searching into a local brand, (https://www.ridecabal.com/aero-2-disc) which sell at a CRAZY CRAZY price when its just the Winspace T1500. I know GOTOBIKE is Winspace, but I'd like to know where you can get your hands on the T1500 as a blank frame. As I am typing this I found this site (http://en.globalimporter.net/procat/476 ... ycle/0.htm) GOTOBIKE led me to this.

nowtaps

by nowtaps

Also, take a look at Pardus.

Unlike Winspace, SEKA(?), etc, Pardus only sells complete bikes built with Shimano/SRAM/Campy so at least you know parts will fit properly, otherwise it won't come out of the factory, ideally.

Shimano also uses their frames for the neutral service.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Forget about the brand, just concentrate on how easy the bike will be to live with. Do you do all your own wrenching? Do you spend money on mechanics?

What attracts me to some bikes is simplicity, I want a screw-in BB, I want moderately simple internally frame routed cables. I think the clean look of cabling running trough the headset is beautiful, but I don't want the hassle. I want a famous name on my down-tube, a brand that's paid it's dues to the sport but I don't want the high price tag or non-standard parts. I don't want the hassle of disk brakes, tubeless and don't need electronic shifting.

It depends what's important to you, everyone is judged by the name on their down-tube, depends if you care. I would say stay away from poorly made and designed bikes that have fork steerer failures despite being famous brands ridden by pros.

the jackel

by the jackel

I am the same age as you, ride as often as possible and have recently been through this dilemma.

I have owned open mold frames and have to say they have completely changed my mind. I'd never buy branded again unless there was a very specific reason. In my case I really wanted to experience the ride quality of Look bikes, given their reputation for excellence, and I love their innovative products from both an ideas point of view as well as the manufacturing. I ended up with a 785 RS with zed cranks. Even then I shopped around for a solid deal.

Part of what I do with my clients is to really try and understand their buying motivation. Of course there can be multiple reasons behind a purchase but there is always one thing that drives the purchase. In your case you mentioned you want something "techy and aero". If this is your main driver then I'd stick with the brands that have already been suggested (Seka, Pardus etc).

And to answer your initial question about whether it's silly spending money on a pro level bike, no it's not if that's what you want. It is silly though if you do so because you expect that bike to be discernably better than cheaper alternatives.