Routes from Tossa de Mar

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

wobbly

by wobbly

Inspired by some of Alex Dowsett's recent training rides, I'm thinking to spend 4-5 days based in Tossa de Mar at the end of Jan.
Just did the strava heat maps and googled "rides around..." but would like WW recommendations also please.
I spent a week at Giverola in 2007 ish pre strava time and I recall Els Angels was one. Also up to the reservoir (possibly Angles?) and then for a final ride we went Arbucies and over and back to the coast. 160+ kms

WW reco's appreciated for 120km routes and avoiding the main roads

Woland

by Woland

Here's a great route that runs nearby Tossa de Mar: https://www.strava.com/activities/6442320459

The leg from Calonge to Girona is great, including also Els Ángels. Also, the ride south from Llagostera (road GIP-6821) is awesome. Icing on the cake, you get to ride the best parts of the stunning coastal road.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jadedaid

by jadedaid

This is a littler longer than you were looking for (135km) but it combines the best of the Hincapie loop (Els Angels, and my favourite climb in the area Santa Pellaia) together with Tossa de Mar. There are multiple ways of getting to Tossa, I like this one the most - it's a wonderful climb up followed by a descent where you see coast open up. The only bit that isn't good on this route is the GI-674 on the way to Llagostera, it's a boring TT. Depending on which way the wind is blowing you either get through it fast or it's a scramble.

I'm not sure what you regard as main roads, lots of the routes you find on strava around Girona include straight up motorway sections. I find those to be insane. The activity linked below is all roads which the missus was comfortable with. Enjoy! Wonderful riding in that area.

https://www.strava.com/routes/2913869837344512120
Last edited by jadedaid on Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wobbly

by wobbly

thanks both :thumbup: :thumbup:

Woland

by Woland

jadedaid wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:25 pm
This is a littler longer than you were looking for (135km) but it combines the best of the Hincapie loop (Els Angels, and my favourite climb in the area Santa Pellaia) together with Tossa de Mar. There are multiple ways of getting to Tossa, I like this one the most - it's a wonderful climb up followed by a descent where you see coast open up. The only bit that isn't good on this route is the GI-674 on the way to Llagostera, it's a boring TT. Depending on which way the wind is blowing you either get through it fast or it's a scramble.

I'm not sure what you regard as main roads, lots of the routes you find on strava around Girona include straight up motorway sections. I find those to be insane. The activity linked below is all roads which the missus was comfortable with. Enjoy! Wonderful riding in that area.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5179257298
The Strava link doesn't work, is it just me or is the ride not public?

Agree on the Hincapie loop, it's my favourite short loop from the city of Girona with barely any car traffic. Love it. While there, check out Placa Major in Monells or Madremanya. Both villages have fountains for filling up your water bottles.

I would also advice staying away from C and N roads, they can be unpleasant at best and crazy at worst. Whenever I ride one of those, my instinct is to get on a smaller road as soon as possible, even though I know that the locals think they're ok to ride.

jadedaid

by jadedaid

updated the link to be a route.

On the roads, I'm amazed at what the locals consider normal, and means that any route taken off strava needs to be vetted through google maps. Anytime I see a route which includes the C-66 it's just "nope, not getting overtaken by semis on a bike ride". I learned that mistake the hard way :)

wobbly

by wobbly

Excellent recos for routes - thanks guys.
Grau, Pellaia, Els Angels, Romanya were all nice climbs.
Temps were a bit fresh in the mornings, but short sleeves in the afternoon.
Plenty of cyclists out and about
Placa Jaume in Monells was a good shout. And the road back to Calonge (once found) was virtually deserted.
Fav stretch was the 20k from TdM to St Feliu
No C-roads needed

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com