Tucson, AZ: Rubber choice over tarmac surface/goathead thorns, etc... ?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

LouisN

by LouisN

My daughter will be spending the winter around Tucson, Az.
We're preparing the gear, I'm wondering how's the road surface around Tucson and surroundings ?
I read all sorts of things on states with tarmac made of some kind of "grade 2" asphalt mix :? that's tough on rubber ?
Would this mean it's a no go for race tires, or tubular tires ?
Thanks for the info :beerchug:
EDITED thread with added info (down below ) :mrgreen:
Louis :)
Last edited by LouisN on Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

I suggest you expand the question to get information on the prevalence of (goathead) thorns, and how that varies with time of year, etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Anyone who rides in goathead country should be on tubeless. Goatheads do absolutely nothing to tubeless tires. You could run over hundreds of them and still be at rideable pressure.

dolophonic

by dolophonic

gatorskins ..or 4 season we get loads of goatheads here in Cali, just try not to ride in the gutter.

gsgrossart

by gsgrossart

Been in the Tucson area for a little over a year (Midwest rider generally). Surface roads are pretty crappy. Goatheads are for real. The Loop and outlying roads are pretty good. Had good success with tubeless Schwalbe Pro One and Orange Seal Endurance. My wife's bike has clinchers, but after several flats, I put in tubes with removable cores and some Orange Seal. Much fewer flats. Enjoy Mt Lemmon and Madera Canyon.

kytyree

by kytyree

Having recently moved away from goathead country I will agree with TobinHatesYou and gsgrossart. Tubeless does great with goatheads, our MTB tires especially would be full of them.

A few goathead rules/lessons:

1. Never pull a goathead from a tire before a ride, the only ones that OrangeSeal doesn't take care of are the ones you pull out right before starting a ride! I'm kidding, mostly.

2. Be careful about bringing them in the house on the bottom of your shoe for example, they hurt like hell to step on later in your bare feet.

3. Traveling on foot it can be easy to get them all over your socks near the ankle, that can end up hurting obviously and they are a pain to remove. Get in the habit of checking for them as they can be a painful discovery the next time you put on your socks. The wash doesn't soften them in the least.

4. I'm a good 1000 mi's from the nearest goathead area now, but like beach sand once you've encountered goatheads you'll never truly be rid of them. Somewhere in this house one is stuck to something waiting for me to step on it or grab it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

kytyree wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:43 pm
2. Be careful about bringing them in the house on the bottom of your shoe for example, they hurt like hell to step on later in your bare feet.
Even worse when one gets stuck in your bibshorts chamois (been there, done that). :shock:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"