Best (g)road events/races in UK-EU

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

robeambro

by robeambro

Hi all,

I would like to try some events in 2022 that are either on road or on light gravel (something one would be able to do on a road bike with 32-34mm gravel tyres, nothing too gnarly such as large rocks) or a mix of both. The gravel aspect is more so that I get to be in the nature, I don't need the added challenge of surviving a rocky technical course.

In terms of distance I'd like:
Nothing too short (I'm not travelling to ride 50km), Multi-day (2-3) events are Ok, but nothing too long either, I don't have the time or the willpower for that. Let's say a ballpark race time between 5 and 72h.

In terms of location, would really appreciate having an airport not too far (doesn't matter if it's within the UK).

Any suggestions? I'd want to hear especially from people who actually participated in these events.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

The Fred Whitton is a bucket list event! Road only and ballot entry but epic
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

robeambro

by robeambro

CustomMetal wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:28 pm
The Fred Whitton is a bucket list event! Road only and ballot entry but epic
Thanks. That and the Dirty Reiver are on my list already. I'm hoping there's something else in Europe as well.

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

Tour de station?
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

GaBa

by GaBa

Maratona dles Dolomites? Or maybe Sportful dolomiti race?

robeambro

by robeambro

Thanks both, noted. They're all seemingly pretty tough, but supposedly with the right gearing and enough time, all can be done.

micky

by micky

Why not Granfondo Strade Bianche?
https://gfstradebianche.it/en/

robeambro

by robeambro

micky wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:09 pm
Why not Granfondo Strade Bianche?
https://gfstradebianche.it/en/
That's a good one, but it was already sold out when I decided to do this :D

Karvalo

by Karvalo

robeambro wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:29 pm
Thanks both, noted. They're all seemingly pretty tough, but supposedly with the right gearing and enough time, all can be done.
Of course they can be done, people do them all the time! Honestly I'd go so far as to say that with modern gearing there's no single part of the Maratona (for instance) that is particularly difficult. Don't go nuts on the Sella Ronda loop before striking out towards the Giau and it's all fine. Still a massive day out and hugely rewarding/beautiful - but in a lot of ways today I'd say you can put together century rides in Yorkshire, the Lakes, the Southwest etc. that are significantly more difficult due to the spiky nature of the efforts and the savagery of the gradients.

Long story short, don't get put off by big mountains. Just treat them with a little respect and they'll pay you back.

robeambro

by robeambro

Karvalo wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:56 pm
robeambro wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:29 pm
Of course they can be done, people do them all the time! Honestly I'd go so far as to say that with modern gearing there's no single part of the Maratona (for instance) that is particularly difficult. Don't go nuts on the Sella Ronda loop before striking out towards the Giau and it's all fine. Still a massive day out and hugely rewarding/beautiful - but in a lot of ways today I'd say you can put together century rides in Yorkshire, the Lakes, the Southwest etc. that are significantly more difficult due to the spiky nature of the efforts and the savagery of the gradients.

Long story short, don't get put off by big mountains. Just treat them with a little respect and they'll pay you back.
I see what you mean. Ultimately, a 32 tooth cassette can do wonders on those climbs, whilst it was still inadequate at times in the Lakes, as you said, because of the silly high gradients.

I'll see if I can find some epic gran fondo for next autumn. Hopefully they're not all in the spring.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eins4eins

by eins4eins

Ötztaler Radmarathon is another great event. Expensive, but organisation is perfect.