Bearing press/extractors for BB and hubs

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

jspaceman

by jspaceman

With the winter approaching I thought I might do some off-season maintenance and replace the BB on one of my bikes, and the wheel bearings on my Zipp 303s.

I'm looking to get myself a good quality bearing press and extractor kit. Wheels Manufacturing seems to sell one that does both --> https://wheelsmfg.com/presses-tools/pre ... l-kit.html

Although it looks as though it can only be used on bottom brackets, not hubs.

They also sell a kit that appears to work on both BB's and hubs, but it doesn't come with any extractors --> https://wheelsmfg.com/presses-tools/pre ... press.html

Is there a press/extractor kit out there that does it all? Or do I need to buy one for the BB, and another for the hubs?

barbaar

by barbaar

Interested!

But am I the only one who things those prices are ridiculous?

The Park Tool BB-press is over 200 dollar/Euro, just like the one mentiones above.

It's no rocket science to CNC these presses if you ask me...
Fuctor Ostro - Campy EPS SR Disc 12sp/P2M NG
Ridley R12 - Campy EPS Record 11sp/P2M NGEco
Thrust something - Campy Chorus/Record mechanical/P2M NGEco

No, that's not a typo

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mvnsnd

by mvnsnd

Just get something like this. It's good enough for the home mechanic for most bearings.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193859873574

Note that it does not include any bearing extractor tools though. they would need to be purchased seperately.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

I have the Wheels Manufacturing BB press and to be honest not super impressed. A good press should be able to keep the bearings concentric and perpendicular. We have some nice industrial bearing presses at work and the difference is night and day. As far as bearing pullers, I have a slide hammer bearing puller that is worth it's weight in gold especially when doing blind bearings on a suspension frame.

ms6073

by ms6073

I think it all really comes down to economies of scale. I had no issue purchasing an Enduro BRT-003 for maintaining several bikes with BB86/PF86 bottom brackets several years back, and I certainly did not hesitate to purchase a Ceramic Speed Dual Socket Tool T45 Colnago/T47 tool for the Colnago.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MaxPower

by MaxPower

I have the BB kit, the hub press, overaxle kit and some ekstra bearing cups. (bought over a couple of years)

Be aware that the rod of the BB kit is big and might not go through your hub (it can just be done with zipp 177 axle, but is very tight). also, it is shorter than the hub press and might not be long enough for your need.

I use the BB kit (and some other stuff) for bearing extractions in BB´s and the two wheel sets i have (zipp 77/177 and farsports hub for carbon spokes) and the over-axle stuff + hub press for pressing new bearings in.

There are a lot of ways to replace bearings... some better than others, but i´m a fan of the "modified" extraction toll as i don´t like hammering stuff out on cycling stuff. Using a press with cups for that job is just so much more controlled!