Cycling news firewall

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Are you saying I should stick to sports?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Karvalo

by Karvalo

misteryellow wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:49 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:17 pm
Fragile male egos detected.

“Stick to sports,” he said, just before going off on a socio-polical rant.

Stick to sports, Tommy Smith and John Carlos.
Oversimplification of arguments is also a nasty trait of modern media... You fail to comprehend my arguments and reduce them to oneliners that are not even remotely applicable.
In all fairness, your argument was already as simplistic as it could get. You provided absolutely no substance beyond emotional button pressing buzzwords. Even with the direct queston about your beef with one article you didn't provide a single specific problem with any identifiable part of the article, you just reiterated that you didnt like it.

misteryellow

by misteryellow

Karvalo wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:57 pm
misteryellow wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:

Oversimplification of arguments is also a nasty trait of modern media... You fail to comprehend my arguments and reduce them to oneliners that are not even remotely applicable.
In all fairness, your argument was already as simplistic as it could get. You provided absolutely no substance beyond emotional button pressing buzzwords. Even with the direct queston about your beef with one article you didn't provide a single specific problem with any identifiable part of the article, you just reiterated that you didnt like it.
That's true, though I expected one to understand my arguments based on the content of the article. Its entire inductive reasoning falls on behalf of a comment made under the Roubaix slideshow. I did in fact use emotional button pressing buzzwords because I believe they depict the moral disagreement of the way people of privilige manage to needlessly stir up emotions (especially online) without taking responsibility for the principles that underlie these rants. It is a cancerous mentality that fails to be defeated by reason so I have no problem using 'emotional buzzwords' to distance myself from these people. Moreover, detailing an argument online is as useless as sniffing one's own farts. If you don't like my opinion fine, feel free to block me.

I must say I miss the time when the Tour de France was ridden by guys who worked in a factory, trained the entire year without bitching and then rode a gruelling TDF for a bottle of wine and a kiss from their wives. Cycling culture was made by riding, not reading. Now we have people riding a 10000 dollar carbon bike with their 500 dollar jerseys who read online comments and fire critique at an entiry community based on a comment made on the internet.
''Just because something is possible, doesn't mean it's a good idea. It will add unnecessary complexity with little, if any, real benefit. Part of the beauty of this sport is the lack of hand holding & arse wiping.'' - ultimobici

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Does anyone have a Velonews membership? Or Outside+ membership? I read Velonews and Cyclingtips. Both are now under the same parent company Outside. If I buy an Outside+ membership ($1.05/week) do I get access to exclusive content on Velonews and Cyclingtips? Thanks.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

misteryellow wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:29 am
I did in fact use emotional button pressing buzzwords because I believe they depict the moral disagreement of the way people of privilige manage to needlessly stir up emotions (especially online) without taking responsibility for the principles that underlie these rants.
This argument absolutely can be simplified down to a one liner - it doesn't mean anything. It's word salad.
I must say I miss the time when the Tour de France was ridden by guys who worked in a factory, trained the entire year without bitching and then rode a gruelling TDF for a bottle of wine and a kiss from their wives. Cycling culture was made by riding, not reading.
The Tour de France was started by a newspaper. Cycling culture was quite literally made by reading.

And you miss those times? I highly doubt you were alive during those times. You don't know what those times were like, so how can you miss them?
Last edited by Karvalo on Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Raimundo

by Raimundo

misteryellow wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:29 am
Karvalo wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:57 pm
misteryellow wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:

That's true, though I expected one to understand my arguments based on the content of the article. Its entire inductive reasoning falls on behalf of a comment made under the Roubaix slideshow. I did in fact use emotional button pressing buzzwords because I believe they depict the moral disagreement of the way people of privilige manage to needlessly stir up emotions (especially online) without taking responsibility for the principles that underlie these rants. It is a cancerous mentality that fails to be defeated by reason so I have no problem using 'emotional buzzwords' to distance myself from these people. Moreover, detailing an argument online is as useless as sniffing one's own farts. If you don't like my opinion fine, feel free to block me.

I must say I miss the time when the Tour de France was ridden by guys who worked in a factory, trained the entire year without bitching and then rode a gruelling TDF for a bottle of wine and a kiss from their wives. Cycling culture was made by riding, not reading. Now we have people riding a 10000 dollar carbon bike with their 500 dollar jerseys who read online comments and fire critique at an entiry community based on a comment made on the internet.
It was only a matter of time until someone thought you didn't had the right to voice your own opinion publicly.
Nowadays even at an online cycling forum, and probably fueled by their own eco chambers in the social media networks and a desire to stamp their own brand the easy way, social justice warriors come out of the dark with their political correctness capes and badges to keep your speech and opinions in check. Go figure... :noidea:

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Raimundo wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:26 am
It was only a matter of time until someone thought you didn't had the right to voice your own opinion publicly.
Yes, it is a shame that misteryellow can't deal with CyclingTips voicing their opinions publicly. Not to worry though, I'm sure they'll survive his attempt to cancel them :beerchug:

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Can you blame him? That editorial quickie used threatening language like “we have a long way to go.” Disgusting.

Raimundo

by Raimundo

Karvalo wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:45 am
Raimundo wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:26 am
Yes, it is a shame that misteryellow can't deal with CyclingTips voicing their opinions publicly. Not to worry though, I'm sure they'll survive his attempt to cancel them :beerchug:
Regardless, he has the rigth to his own opinion, just as CyclingTips had the right to publish the story, just as me and you have. What should we do now, force misteryellow to like the content on that story, and shut his speech down in the meanwhile?? why don't we just go burn some books while we are at it.

And circling back, so that we can get our story straight, it was tobinhatesyou that got triggered and it was him that tried to bait misteryellow with those bobby traped smelly oneliners and remarks over his ego, it was he that went after the other forum user looking to cause a fuss, not the other way around...

:beerchug:

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Raimundo wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:13 am
Regardless, he has the rigth to his own opinion, just as CyclingTips had the right to publish the story, just as me and you have. What should we do now, force misteryellow to like the content on that story, and shut his speech down in the meanwhile?? why don't we just go burn some books while we are at it.
What on earth are you talking about? Who has tried to shut his speech down? Who has told him he doesn't have the right to voice his opinion? This is a pure figment of your imagination.

The only person who has come close to trying to silence anyone else is misteryellow saying I should just ignore his opinion instead of commenting it. Should I take your advice and be offended that he is trying to silence me? Should I scream and shout about my free speech rights being violated? Of course not, that would be an absurdly oversensitive overreaction. In a true free speech environment you have to learn to deal with the possibility of vocal disagreement when you decide to express your opinion. It goes both ways.

C36

by C36

misteryellow wrote:
Maddie wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:17 pm
And what's your beef with that article?
It's a twitter like rant with no substance based on the modern era of identity politics. It's useless, stupid, intellectually hollow and most importantly it is becoming more abundant on CT. I want to read about bikes and engage with my hobby in a positive manner. I have no need to read about social justice warriors poisoning everything that has to do with cycling.
CT are serious about female cycling, their Paris Roubaix coverage was good. I feel ashamed about the comments around the pictures in their articles but I am not sure there was material for an article about the stupid comments made there.

As side note, all the comments about the shower pictures were pretty clueless about what happened, you would have had to walk over their dead body to stop the riders I know to access them… that’s how important it was for them (then was totally legit to be in the article)
Last edited by C36 on Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Raimundo

by Raimundo

Karvalo wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:10 am
Raimundo wrote:
What on earth are you talking about? Who has tried to shut his speech down? Who has told him he doesn't have the right to voice his opinion? This is a pure figment of your imagination.

The only person who has come close to trying to silence anyone else is misteryellow saying I should just ignore his opinion instead of commenting it. Should I take your advice and be offended that he is trying to silence me? Should I scream and shout about my free speech rights being violated? Of course not, that would be an absurdly oversensitive overreaction. In a true free speech environment you have to learn to deal with the possibility of vocal disagreement when you decide to express your opinion. It goes both ways.
The answer to your first 3 questions can be the second part of my post that you chose to leave unquoted. Don't know why you would choose to quote only half of my previous post, because in this situation we are indeed at risk of removing valuable context by doing that.
But i will politly transcribe it directly below for arguments sake:
Raimundo wrote:
And circling back, so that we can get our story straight, it was tobinhatesyou that got triggered and it was him that tried to bait misteryellow with those bobby traped smelly oneliners and remarks over his ego, it was he that went after the other forum user looking to cause a fuss, not the other way around...
What i totally agree with you, albeit within the realm of civility, is the following:
Karvalo wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:10 am
In a true free speech environment you have to learn to deal with the possibility of vocal disagreement when you decide to express your opinion. It goes both ways

basilic

by basilic

So given the ado here I went and read that editorial. What I get is this: CT published an article about women's Roubaix that featured photos from the showers, that showed (quite discreetly) some skin. Apparently some online commenters found that objectionable. The editorial was to defend CTs right to publish these photos against the pc-police.

So maybe they exaggerate, telling a handful of prudish commenters to stuff it doesn't make them heroes in the defense of free press. But otherwise it seems a healthier attitude than going full woke.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Raimundo wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:16 pm
The answer to your first 3 questions can be the second part of my post that you chose to leave unquoted. Don't know why you would choose to quote only half of my previous post, because in this situation we are indeed at risk of removing valuable context by doing that.
There is no answer or relevance to my questions there. Tobin never suggest that he couldn't express his opinion, so again your claim that anyone is trying to silence him is pure fiction. You made it up.

If it was lack of civility that bothers you, mr yellow has been quite uncivil about Cyclingtips and very clear about the things he believes they should not write about. So quite why you think you have to protect him from the forces of censorship is beyond me. He is the only person in this whole discussion who is trying to be a censor.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

misteryellow wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:48 pm
CT is the best cycling website bar none when it comes to technical reviews, however articles like these: https://cyclingtips.com/2021/10/opinion ... e-imagery/ make me quit looking at their website.

I don't really understand the argument. You won't read the "best cycling website bar none" because of an editorial article that was clearly marked editorial?

My only problem with the article is that it's a waste of space devoting an article to calling out a handful of complainers on Twitter or message boards. So what if a few people don't like pictures of women in showers? There will always be complainers about everything especially when they can vent their ideas anonymously. I just roll my eyes every time I see a journalist writing about the natives getting restless on Twitter.