Cycling news firewall

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

MichaelB

by MichaelB

I won't miss CN as much as CT as I liked their style better.
CN has also become a bit more obtuse and advertirial as mentioned by others.

So what's the next best option ? Inner ring is great quality, but sporadic

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The next best option is paying for content if you like their style.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

C36

by C36

MichaelB wrote:I won't miss CN as much as CT as I liked their style better.
CN has also become a bit more obtuse and advertirial as mentioned by others.

So what's the next best option ? Inner ring is great quality, but sporadic
Pay for good quality content? Can’t have it all no? Then you are left with the (very average) sponsored-based platforms like Bike Rumors and GCN where you have a mix of interesting-informative News (few) with « let’s make has many click as possible » and many (terrible) pure ads.
Last edited by C36 on Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Meh, BR and GCN are pretty lame.

Already subscribe to plenty and may consider CT, but not CN. At least CT were up front about it.

misteryellow

by misteryellow

OnTheRivet wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:10 pm
ghisallo2003 wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:20 pm
So, Cyclingnews is now behind a paywall. Shame, as I have read it for years, but the quality of journalism has, in my opinion, eroded and there is too often an advertorial feel to articles.

I am sure I am not the only one who does not feel that poor journalism should be rewarded, and think it is not worth paying even a small amount.

Sorry if this has been covered, but I could not find anything on a search.
Krisin Frattini is the worst writer in the bike biz. Every article is just Social Justice Warrior crap. Good riddance. Anybody remembers the gold old days when Cyclingnews was "Bob Cyclingnews" and was just a single page of text, 1994ish it started.
Unfortunately, CyclingTips ain't much better in that regard. Much worse, in fact.
''Just because something is possible, doesn't mean it's a good idea. It will add unnecessary complexity with little, if any, real benefit. Part of the beauty of this sport is the lack of hand holding & arse wiping.'' - ultimobici

C36

by C36

misteryellow wrote:
Unfortunately, CyclingTips ain't much better in that regard. Much worse, in fact.
Out of curiosity, what do you have in mind regarding something worse on CT than CN? I struggle to find anything CT does worse than CN. I am still doubtful to their technical knowledge (but here that’s the engineer bitching) but they do go way more in-depth than any competitor.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:57 pm
calleking wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:55 pm
Could you give some advice on similar sites with good journalism? Just trying to widen my perspective :-)
https://inrng.com/

INRNG cannot be beaten for in depth articles on the sport. Excellent writing and keen insights.

Since I wrote this, I stumbled on the Beyond The Peloton newsletter on Substack. It is excellent and I had no qualms about subscribing for the year.

I have been reading through the archive and it is very well written and researched with some fascinating insights. It's well worth it, imo.

https://beyondthepeloton.substack.com/

misteryellow

by misteryellow

C36 wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:17 pm
misteryellow wrote:
Out of curiosity, what do you have in mind regarding something worse on CT than CN? I struggle to find anything CT does worse than CN. I am still doubtful to their technical knowledge (but here that’s the engineer bitching) but they do go way more in-depth than any competitor.

CT is the best cycling website bar none when it comes to technical reviews, however articles like these: https://cyclingtips.com/2021/10/opinion ... e-imagery/ make me quit looking at their website.
''Just because something is possible, doesn't mean it's a good idea. It will add unnecessary complexity with little, if any, real benefit. Part of the beauty of this sport is the lack of hand holding & arse wiping.'' - ultimobici

Maddie

by Maddie

And what's your beef with that article?

misteryellow

by misteryellow

Maddie wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:17 pm
It's a twitter like rant with no substance based on the modern era of identity politics. It's useless, stupid, intellectually hollow and most importantly it is becoming more abundant on CT. I want to read about bikes and engage with my hobby in a positive manner. I have no need to read about social justice warriors poisoning everything that has to do with cycling.

BenSiskri

by BenSiskri

I've never had a problem with CN in regards to a paywall; however I have with CT, which is disappointing, but since Outside now own them, it's not a surprise. Doesn't appear that Pinkbike have a paywall - maybe it's only a matter of time.

INRG is good, but only if you're a road racing fan.
Trek Crockett 4
Giant TCR Advanced 3

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

misteryellow wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:24 am
Maddie wrote:
It's a twitter like rant with no substance based on the modern era of identity politics. It's useless, stupid, intellectually hollow and most importantly it is becoming more abundant on CT. I want to read about bikes and engage with my hobby in a positive manner. I have no need to read about social justice warriors poisoning everything that has to do with cycling.
+1.

If people want something, someone will supply it. If it's not popular, why force it. It's a lot like brussel sprouts. No matter how many receipes there are, it will never be popular.

misteryellow

by misteryellow

Butcher wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:15 pm
misteryellow wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:24 am
Maddie wrote:
+1.

If people want something, someone will supply it. If it's not popular, why force it. It's a lot like brussel sprouts. No matter how many receipes there are, it will never be popular.
Well, that is the problem with modern media. Even if it is unpopular it will garner clicks and make money. That is exactly by issue with this article, its only purpose is to invoke anger, without the proper journalistic integrity.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Fragile male egos detected.

“Stick to sports,” he said, just before going off on a socio-polical rant.

Stick to sports, Tommy Smith and John Carlos.

misteryellow

by misteryellow

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:17 pm
Fragile male egos detected.

“Stick to sports,” he said, just before going off on a socio-polical rant.

Stick to sports, Tommy Smith and John Carlos.
Oversimplification of arguments is also a nasty trait of modern media... You fail to comprehend my arguments and reduce them to oneliners that are not even remotely applicable. Nonetheless, I simply wish to end this discussion. I already found the solution to my problems! I simply don't visit these websites anymore, so everyone can be happy.

By the way 'TobinHatesYou'. In the time that I have been on this messageboard I have noticed some very toxic comments from you, including in the Covid thread. These personal attacks on other posters really do not belong here on this messageboard, so please stop.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com