Cycling news firewall

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

So, Cyclingnews is now behind a paywall. Shame, as I have read it for years, but the quality of journalism has, in my opinion, eroded and there is too often an advertorial feel to articles.

I am sure I am not the only one who does not feel that poor journalism should be rewarded, and think it is not worth paying even a small amount.

Sorry if this has been covered, but I could not find anything on a search.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stefano

by Stefano

Cyclingtips too, which at least has good quality articles.

frostorama

by frostorama

Just browse in a private/incognito window and bypass the paywall......

Raimundo

by Raimundo

You get more up-to-date and unbiased opinions here at weightweenies anyhow.

...and to go a level further on honesty, Cycling Tips for example was getting a bit too heavy on the virtue signaling side of things, my browser shortcut for them was erased since yesterday. a Pitty, their crew is solid, and i like their reviews, but......

Cycling News should be a matter of time until i also delete their shortcut from my browser i'm affraid... i'll wait and see.

Better for me! more free time to ride.

dolophonic

by dolophonic

Yes. Crazy as they did so much paid content and had so many adds on the site already... it seems crazy to have to pay ?
Cycling tips feels like its pay to play for their advertisers .. their content is sometimes just a press release..
i will try the incognito tip for Cycling news, but tbh the headlines are all you need from them, they do not have very good or interesting content beyond the news of the day.

calleking

by calleking

Could you give some advice on similar sites with good journalism? Just trying to widen my perspective :-)
2022 Wilier Filante SLR Dura-Ace/Ultegra Di2 12sp
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

Retired:
2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Sagan Superstar DA 9150
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2
2016 CAAD12 - SRAM Red 22 - Hyper 50mm

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

calleking wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:55 pm
Could you give some advice on similar sites with good journalism? Just trying to widen my perspective :-)
https://inrng.com/

INRNG cannot be beaten for in depth articles on the sport. Excellent writing and keen insights.

C36

by C36

Cyclingtips is probably the only one of its kind and worth paying for. Articles are very detailed, long ans way more in-depth than what BR or vélo News will do.

Clearer when it’s a sponsored and commit to report female cycling.

ms6073

by ms6073

ghisallo2003 wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:20 pm
So, Cyclingnews is now behind a paywall.
Not sure I follow. Using MS Edge Chromoum, I just visited Cyclingnews.com and clicked on several links and did not see any moderated/paywall content although every page has the disclaimor
We are supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

AJS914

by AJS914

I wonder how the paywall is working out for Velonews. I stopped reading their articles or listening to their podcast when Caley Fretz left for CyclingTips and then Trevor Connor started Fast Labs with Chris Case.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

AFAIK Cyclingnews' paywall is a metered paywall. You get a limited number of articles per a certain time period. If you go past the limit you won't be able to view the content.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

I think op is getting cyclingnews and cyclingtips mixed up.

Cyclingtips has a paywall now after reading a certain amount of posts.

Cyclingnews doesn’t. *Turns out they do, they didn’t even announce it.

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

So not mixed up then, and there is a paywall. Shame, but someone else will appear to tell the news.

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

Would someone like to post some pictures of tech from the Rouleur show?

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

ghisallo2003 wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:20 pm
So, Cyclingnews is now behind a paywall. Shame, as I have read it for years, but the quality of journalism has, in my opinion, eroded and there is too often an advertorial feel to articles.

I am sure I am not the only one who does not feel that poor journalism should be rewarded, and think it is not worth paying even a small amount.

Sorry if this has been covered, but I could not find anything on a search.
Krisin Frattini is the worst writer in the bike biz. Every article is just Social Justice Warrior crap. Good riddance. Anybody remembers the gold old days when Cyclingnews was "Bob Cyclingnews" and was just a single page of text, 1994ish it started.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com