Richmond park (London) attacks on cyclists and bikes stolen

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Bring back the public pillories! With a big bowl of rotted fruit for passers-by to toss at them!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wooger

by wooger

UpFromOne wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:01 am
Bring back the public pillories! With a big bowl of rotted fruit for passers-by to toss at them!
More like bring back hanging. I'd have no compunction killing people who do this.

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

wooger wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:40 pm
More like bring back hanging. I'd have no compunction killing people who do this.
seriously? Think you need to get a grip on reality.

IchDien

by IchDien

ryanw wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:16 pm
I'm building his new bike tomorrow, and he's in good spirits about it all.

Hard to keep a good man down.
Good to hear.

uncle-gee

by uncle-gee

UK, France, US big cities (at least Seattle & Portland of which I know the most), among others, You get what you voted for!
Last edited by uncle-gee on Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dolophonic

by dolophonic

uncle-gee wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:29 pm
UK, France, US big cities (at least Seattle & Portland of which I know the most), among others, You get what you voted for!
Maybe better to keep your politics out of the forum. That is a much larger conversation. This forum is about light bikes.

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

i actually live next to richmond park and have stopped riding road bike outside since i heard of the incidents. subsequently i found 4 other cases on Richmond Park/MET police facebook/twitter accounts. the police claimed they arrested one 16 year old but it was very clear there were at least 4 of them in that initial attack, then we heard nothing since. together with the rubbish weather, i just packed it in and start doing turbo trainer session again.... for me, with a newborn, just not worth the risk. :noidea:
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

misteryellow

by misteryellow

Tip: get training in Krav Maga. I train in knife attacks every WEEK, so I atleast have a chance when someone wants to stab me. Cyclists are easy targets: skinny, can't defend themselves on clip-in shoes and often come from a priviliged background without any fighting experience. Yeah it sucks badly to get your bike stolen but the important thing is to remain safe. That's pretty much all you can do unfortunately!
''Just because something is possible, doesn't mean it's a good idea. It will add unnecessary complexity with little, if any, real benefit. Part of the beauty of this sport is the lack of hand holding & arse wiping.'' - ultimobici

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

They should have added on to the sentence, if the bikes he stole were the most prized and irreplaceable of all, mechanical rim!!

Under 6.8? Add another year.
Glued tubulars? Give him the chair.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

This is a direct result of the "defund the police" movements in Western countries. That and limited prosecuting by liberal court systems and criminals are emboldened.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

OnTheRivet wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:04 pm
This is a direct result of the "defund the police" movements in Western countries. That and limited prosecuting by liberal court systems and criminals are emboldened.
There is no 'defund the police' movement in the UK.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

RTW wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:53 pm
OnTheRivet wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:04 pm
There is no 'defund the police' movement in the UK.
No, there's an 'underfund the police and courts system' movement in the UK, also known as the political party in charge

I live 15 minutes ride from Richmond Park and the whole area is teeming with very expensive 'superbikes'. It's almost as if anyone and everyone in the cafes has a S-Works, or Pina. It's a target rich environment for the criminally minded.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

AJS914

by AJS914

This is not political. I think it's simply that nice bikes have flown under the radar for a long time but now criminals have realized that people on $10,000+ bikes are vulnerable and easy prey. It's a hell of a lot easier than robbing a grocery store for $200.

Criminals have also learned that all the parts on a high end can be sold at full used retail without a care in the world because there are no serial numbers. The frame can be sold in other countries where people don't care if the frame was stolen in the US or Europe. There was a theft ring in Boulder, CO that targeted high end bikes. They shipped them to Mexico to sell them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com