Absolute Black OSPW(reamed by Hambini).

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I have a few clients that spend well over $600 for lunch. Cost is relative. If AB can sell their stuff for $600 then good for them. If I could buy it for that price, great for me. They are not going to sell a million of them. They did not design and make this in a few minutes. Someone should pay for the R&D. I think it would be a great idea if the buyers paid for that. Certainly the company does not want to. Since there is a limited market, then those costs need to be spread out. That is probably the only reason for the $600 price tag. Is it because people have no clue how business works or they just like to whine because they cannot afford a $600 component that nobody in their right mind needs.

Fortunately, I have doubts on anyones hype about their products. I expect a company to hype it up. What's wrong with that? I have enough confidence in my thought process to know they are just trying to sell something.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

radiantRadish

by radiantRadish

Sadly, we're not all blessed with your business knowledge or thought processes, so we have to rely on five year olds.

Andrew69

by Andrew69

ichobi wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:40 pm
I don't want him to turn to another Durianrider here.
Not possible
Durian rider is in a class of his own when it comes to being an absolute dickhead

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

In case anyone is not familiar with durianrider, here he is harassing Richie Porte, which apparently he was very proud of, since he posted the video.

jlok

by jlok

Butcher wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:04 pm
I have a few clients that spend well over $600 for lunch. Cost is relative. If AB can sell their stuff for $600 then good for them. If I could buy it for that price, great for me. They are not going to sell a million of them. They did not design and make this in a few minutes. Someone should pay for the R&D. I think it would be a great idea if the buyers paid for that. Certainly the company does not want to. Since there is a limited market, then those costs need to be spread out. That is probably the only reason for the $600 price tag. Is it because people have no clue how business works or they just like to whine because they cannot afford a $600 component that nobody in their right mind needs.

Fortunately, I have doubts on anyones hype about their products. I expect a company to hype it up. What's wrong with that? I have enough confidence in my thought process to know they are just trying to sell something.
Alright to sell stuffs, alright to buy stuffs, also right to point out funny hypes. Nothing's wrong I think.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Leviathan

by Leviathan

I find Hambini so annoyingly offensive that I didn't watch the whole thing, and AB insulting him is no doubt a PR disaster for a 700$ toy so not sure how much I care either way.

But my big issue with much of Hambinis "analysis" as it seems to start from a point of "let's find something wrong", not "let's understand if this is generally engineered right." For example all the BBs he measured sent in by people who had issues, he seemed to have totally ignored sample bias.

Isn't the point of these OSPW they reduce overall system frictional losses materially. Shouldn't he, therefore, test that? I appreciate the pulley angle was wrong but, again, how much material difference does this make?

Again, didn't look through all of his vid as I just can't, so sorry if it was addressed..

Sent from my M2101K7AG using Tapatalk

"I saw you with elephants hosing down some dwarves on black and white TV" - Ode to Anthony H Wilson

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

I might come off as a grumpy old man, but afaik all these YT warriors is one big piece of BS. anyone these days can produce "content", brand it "scientific" or whatever, and spread it like a disease which it really is. it's not about being right or honest anymore, just being loud. opinions have succesfully kicked out such ancient qualities like facts or knowledge, and the funniest thing is it's so easy to paint them as such.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

CarlosTheJackal

by CarlosTheJackal

Leviathan wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:41 am
I find Hambini so annoyingly offensive that I didn't watch the whole thing, and AB insulting him is no doubt a PR disaster for a 700$ toy so not sure how much I care either way.

But my big issue with much of Hambinis "analysis" as it seems to start from a point of "let's find something wrong", not "let's understand if this is generally engineered right." For example all the BBs he measured sent in by people who had issues, he seemed to have totally ignored sample bias.

Isn't the point of these OSPW they reduce overall system frictional losses materially. Shouldn't he, therefore, test that? I appreciate the pulley angle was wrong but, again, how much material difference does this make?

Again, didn't look through all of his vid as I just can't, so sorry if it was addressed..

If you can't be bothered with the video, there's a summary on his website

scroll down to claims and it summarizes it

https://www.hambini.com/absoluteblack-7 ... n-tatters/

those statements alone are worthy of roasting.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Thanks, I did pick up those points from the video as I skimmed it, but I'd hoped as an engineer he would look at the stiff that mattered, eg are the bearings low friction or not, and does the derailleur reduce watts...
But the text is much less annoying than the video!

"I saw you with elephants hosing down some dwarves on black and white TV" - Ode to Anthony H Wilson

ms6073

by ms6073

tymon_tm wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:08 pm
I might come off as a grumpy old man, but afaik all these YT warriors is one big piece of BS.
We are not grumpy, we are just not in the target age demographic for Hambini's videos. Like most content these days, Youtube and Tik Tok are primarily aimed at the 'I want/need it now' generation, the new generation who all got a trophy simply for showing up, where stacking plastic cups is an athletic event in schools, never had to wait a few minutes to rewind a video in order to watch movies, or turn a rotary dial to make a phone call, or even wait, heaven forbid, 45 minutes to an hour to heat dinner up in a conventional oven!

Please note this was all meant to be tongue in cheek - well, except for the part about stacking cups. :beerchug:
Last edited by ms6073 on Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

ms6073 wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:29 pm
We are not grumpy, we are just not in the target age demographic for Hambini's videos.
5 year olds watching a 5 year old.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Leviathan wrote:

I'm, going to disagree with you here. I'm sure the sample bias concept is not lost on Hambini. Of course he is mostly dealing with bad frames. Is the company at fault for producing the defective frame? Yes. Is the company pathetic for letting the defective frame out of the factory? Yes. That's all he's basically saying. (Besides, most of the brands Hambini slaughters are fairly notorious for bb problems beyond just his rants.) His style is radical and perhaps offensive to more sensitive types, but the net outcome is that consumers are better off for what he exposes.

We consumers in the cycle industry accept shit that would not be tolerated in most other industries. Guys like Hambini ultimately help the situation.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I would argue his delivery counteracts any perception of help he offers. I'm not the only one that does not listen to what he says. I certainly would if it was delivered in a way that I could tolerate.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

tymon_tm wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:08 pm
I might come off as a grumpy old man, but afaik all these YT warriors is one big piece of BS. anyone these days can produce "content", brand it "scientific" or whatever, and spread it like a disease which it really is. it's not about being right or honest anymore, just being loud. opinions have succesfully kicked out such ancient qualities like facts or knowledge, and the funniest thing is it's so easy to paint them as such.
Completely agree. And most of us ride frames with lumpy inner linings, and it doesn't phaze us one bit.

Can I be a grumpy old man now? Is that a club or something? :lol:

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Mr.Gib wrote:
Leviathan wrote:

I'm, going to disagree with you here. I'm sure the sample bias concept is not lost on Hambini. Of course he is mostly dealing with bad frames. Is the company at fault for producing the defective frame? Yes. Is the company pathetic for letting the defective frame out of the factory? Yes. That's all he's basically saying. (Besides, most of the brands Hambini slaughters are fairly notorious for bb problems beyond just his rants.) His style is radical and perhaps offensive to more sensitive types, but the net outcome is that consumers are better off for what he exposes.

We consumers in the cycle industry accept shit that would not be tolerated in most other industries. Guys like Hambini ultimately help the situation.
Look, I feel you often have well thought out and helpful posts, and so don't wish to get all "engineery" on you but the question Hambini should have asking is not "how sh!t is this product?" But "how often?" and "how much does it matter". I worked as a project engineer for 5 years and a lot of stuff broke (I even managed to set fire to an $800,000 detergent packaging machine once), we as engineers were trying to figure out best practices and best products to cost effectively deliver a solution, not simply show we know how to use a micrometer (yes, I'm that old).

He's just playing for the crowd. Vox populi, vox dei.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com