Absolute Black OSPW(reamed by Hambini).

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Marin

by Marin

I'd still use one because it looks awesome, and to piss of Hambiny.

Plus, whoever thinks bearing frictions matters in cycling shoud ride more

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Is it just me or does Hambini just sound like he is 5 years old and just wants to shock people with his remarks? I suspect if he shared his remarks with the education that he says he has, maybe Absolute Black would have done the same.

I did watch this video, but I just can't stand his presentation. I know, I'm old and just don't get it.

ms6073

by ms6073

warthog101 wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:02 am
I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't sell because it is very expensive and it turns out it is functionally very poor.
How else do you think innovations like the Ventum NS1 exists in the market? There are always those in the crowd who will absolutely have to have one on their bike(s), especially the triathlon crowd. I think the wow factor is off the peg and would even consider purchasing a couple for our bikes if not for the fact that these days we can buy a good quality, generic carbon wheelset from China for not much more than the price of the OSPW.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

I can't stand Hambini but I probably hate the Absolute Black bullshit machine more. Been calling these guys out on Social for years for unsubstantiated claims.

warthog101

by warthog101

ms6073 wrote:
warthog101 wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:02 am
I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't sell because it is very expensive and it turns out it is functionally very poor.
How else do you think innovations like the Ventum NS1 exists in the market? There are always those in the crowd who will absolutely have to have one on their bike(s), especially the triathlon crowd. I think the wow factor is off the peg and would even consider purchasing a couple for our bikes if not for the fact that these days we can buy a good quality, generic carbon wheelset from China for not much more than the price of the OSPW.
I watched the video and it appears it is functionally poor.
Combined with the ridiculous price it has absolutely no appeal.

It is a derailleur cage and pulleys.
I couldn't really give a rat's about looks. However if you look at its' single side and see that from a design perspective it loses rigidity by losing a side it now looks stupid.
That is just how I see it.

As I said, further in my post that you did not quote, they will probably still sell a few.
Some will think it has a "wow factor" and buy it for its' looks and accept the blurb accompanying it.

jlok

by jlok

It's ok to buy for the WOW factor or the look, but performance gain is definitely not in the book.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

Does this Hambini have any kind of mechanical engineering degree along with physics to back any of his claims? Not standing up for Absolute but just want to know if any of his annoyingly presentation holds any weight....

EdWiser

by EdWiser

shoemakerpom2010 wrote:Does this Hambini have any kind of mechanical engineering degree along with physics to back any of his claims? Not standing up for Absolute but just want to know if any of his annoyingly presentation holds any weight....
https://www.hambini.com/about-hambini/

Engineer in real life.

As a maintenance man for 45 years. I looked at it and laughed. It is all looks and no substance.

CarlosTheJackal

by CarlosTheJackal

If I was in Absolute Black's PR department I would stop right now. They aren't far off hitting the self destruct button!

Hambini has said the video has been blocked to UK viewers.

Get popcorn!

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I can make a website and tell everyone I'm Jesus but that does not make it so. Is there any real proof?

I get everyone has a gimmick to sell their stuff and his works well for him. What's the saying? There is no such thing as bad publicity?
Last edited by Butcher on Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

kode54

by kode54

Hambini's marketing is himself, along with his language. I have no problems with that.
Absolute Black's marketing is the marketing-speak. I don't have a problem with that either...in fact most have similar marketing-speak including apparel companies like Assos. Its what sells...and that's business.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

ichobi

by ichobi

While I agree with hambini criticism and his argument based on simple physics and manufacturing knowledge, criticising things without actually having the said item on hands just doesn't feel right, despite whatever absurd claim AB is making. Fixing poor bb himself and make a presentation to criticize the company qc, that I am fine with. It's no better than mud slinging at this point.

jlok

by jlok

Some claims do not need to get hold on the actual thing to be critized, like... a bike with triangular wheels ride as fast as one with circular wheels...

Maybe you could tell us some specific points that Hambini should hold the actual thing before critizing?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

kidrob

by kidrob

We are talking about a premium product here, with a ridiculous price of 600 bucks, and imho it should absolutely be threatened/assessed/tested as such. No compromises.
As a consequence, there is no room and tolerance for Absolute Black's i) "mistakes" (and be it only in their presentation), or ii) their way of communication.

Hambini is just the guy who perfectly put the finger to where it hurts.
And no matter of what his "style" or language is, he is continuously successful and of impact with it. So much, that the big companies are obviously afraid of him and we discuss his findings here. More power to him.

ichobi

by ichobi

jlok wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:29 am
Some claims do not need to get hold on the actual thing to be critized, like... a bike with triangular wheels ride as fast as one with circular wheels...

Maybe you could tell us some specific points that Hambini should hold the actual thing before critizing?
Take for example his bearing criticism that it's a cheap chinese order. While likely (you can find similar looking item on aliexpress etc), it doesn't make that true or false, unless he pry it open with his own hands. It's simply speculation.

Again, I find how AB deal with this situation horrific, likewise their product presentation and overclaims, but it would do the criticiser a big plus and adds massive validity when he can actually experiment on the genuine item, like how he fixed non-rounded bb for countless time. I don't want him to turn to another Durianrider here.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com