Absolute Black OSPW(reamed by Hambini).

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

tabl10s

by tabl10s

2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CarlosTheJackal

by CarlosTheJackal

That was a proper reaming. Irrespective of what he said, their response in the comments was not professional, the comments about eggs was plain weird.

I just see they shutdown their instagram

FrederickVCyclestein

by FrederickVCyclestein

That absolute black chart on aerodynamic drag was pretty disappointing. I can't imagine anybody with an engineering background publishing that. The marketing would've been better without that graph.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Oh my. Absolute Black appears not to be familiar with the consequences of this type of behaviour in the internet age. Whoever is making those comments on Hambini's site may have just killed their company. Going full douchebag in front of your customers never seems to work out. I have a set of AB chainrings on one of my wife's bikes. One of the crank bolt holes was out of place by nearly two millemeters. I had to get out the dremel to get it to fit. Works fine now though. :noidea:
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

tabl10s

by tabl10s

Deleted.
Last edited by tabl10s on Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).

tabl10s

by tabl10s

CarlosTheJackal wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:36 pm
That was a proper reaming. Irrespective of what he said, their response in the comments was not professional, the comments about eggs was plain weird.

I just see they shutdown their instagram
This is the video by GC Performance which came out today. Pay attention to when he spins the wheel:

https://youtu.be/s8W208ho5Ec
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).

robbosmans

by robbosmans

He might be right but I still think his behavior is toxic and he would get my respect if he would be more mature

kidrob

by kidrob

Should have just said thx for the feedback, give us a day to work on our data presentation, and sent him one for testing...

blaugrana

by blaugrana

The aero drag graph with 2 datapoints is absolutely hilarious. And tested without the rest of the bike at 0 and 30 degrees, just to make it even more ridiculous. They could have thrown both derailleurs off a cliff and claimed that the one that hit the ground first is the most aero, and it would still have been less ridiculous than that.

It would have been more honest to simply market it as a unique component that looks cool without trying to make up performance claims that they can't really back up with actual data. There are plenty of manufacturers (like custom frame builders, for example) doing cool stuff that isn't necessarily the lightest or the most aero, and there is nothing wrong with that.

warthog101

by warthog101

Charging $700 for a derailleur cage and pulleys.
It seems a hell of a charge and you would expect a level of superiority and special componentry.
It appears you get neither.

Yeah I could do without the sarcasm and swearing but it appears the price charged for performance received is very dishonest.

Andrew69

by Andrew69

robbosmans wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:14 am
He might be right but I still think his behavior is toxic and he would get my respect if he would be more mature
I love that he is so flippant about all the people threatening to sue him because he outs their BS.
His lack of "maturity" makes it even funnier, especially when he is so self-deprecating and doesnt take himself so seriously

AJS914

by AJS914

I liked this Hambini video better than most because the product is a ridicuolous $700 derailleur cage. It's the kind of part someone installs so they look cool at the coffee shop, not because they want to go faster.

spud

by spud

^ I'd almost respect them more if they said, "we built it because it looks like the dog's bollocks, it works OK too."

LRB23

by LRB23

blaugrana wrote:The aero drag graph with 2 datapoints is absolutely hilarious. And tested without the rest of the bike at 0 and 30 degrees, just to make it even more ridiculous. They could have thrown both derailleurs off a cliff and claimed that the one that hit the ground first is the most aero, and it would still have been less ridiculous than that.

It would have been more honest to simply market it as a unique component that looks cool without trying to make up performance claims that they can't really back up with actual data. There are plenty of manufacturers (like custom frame builders, for example) doing cool stuff that isn't necessarily the lightest or the most aero, and there is nothing wrong with that.
You hit the nail on the head. They totally missed the mark on this one. I really like the look of their chainrings and my initial reaction to the OSPW was it looks mean. Instead they made a load of unsubstantiated claims and retaliated with personal attacks when someone questioned the technology. If they truly believe in their product they should have welcomed someone like Hambini. I wouldn’t be surprised if this doesn’t sell because of they way they’ve handled the situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

warthog101

by warthog101

I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't sell because it is very expensive and it turns out it is functionally very poor.

Still how many people are going to see the vid demonstrating how poor it actually is?
They will probably still flog a few off.