What to do when buyer won't pick up item?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

engsohere

by engsohere

Hi all, I sold a groupset and I'm having an issue with the buyer not picking it up. After the first delivery attempt failed the item has been transferred to a UPS access point for pick up. I've sent multiple messages to the buyer to pick up the item including the business name and address. If the item is not picked up by tomorrow it will be returned back.

I contacted customer service and this is their response:

"I see what will happen in here if the item will be returned and the buyer didn't pick up the item is, if this buyer will open an item no received case they are not going to have their refund, it's their obligation to pick up the item. You already provided the tracking number for this order, meaning to say the protection of this buyer will not be granted."

This doesn't sound right to me. How can I get the item back and still keep the money? The buyer will most likely open a case and dispute the charge with his credit card company. If there's no proof of delivery the bank will most likely proceed with the chargeback and refund the customer.

Am I right on this?

AJS914

by AJS914

ebay?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

engsohere

by engsohere

I'm wasn't sure if we're allowed to name other sites but that's close enough. How should I proceed with handling this matter?

AJS914

by AJS914

I think that if you get the item back you are going to have to refund the money.

Either the guy has some health issue that prevents him from picking it up or answering or he's just being lame, changed his mind, and wants you to get the parts back.

micky

by micky

Just sit and wait for the time being for the package to actually be delivered back to you.
Of course it will appear on the tracking and you will be obligated to refund.

In this kind of situations I always try to contact the buyer via message and ask them kindly to contact their local USPS office.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Karvalo

by Karvalo

I think the point of Ebay customer services is that you have fulfilled your obligation as a seller and the groupset belongs to the buyer. If the groupset is returned to you by the courier, it still belongs to him but it is his responsibility (if you want to insist that he have it) to either collect it or arrange a redelivery.

Whether the card issuers take the same stance is a different matter.