Lifelong Oakley user wanting a change. Smith? Rudy? POC?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

RedRacer

by RedRacer

I started in '80s Factory Pilots and have been a loyal Oakley cleint until today with the Sutro Lite, Flight Jacket, Radar and Jawbreaker but I need a change! Oakley sunglasses are high quality and functional but IMO none of their current performance/cycling sunglasses look good. They are all very strange looking and I have arrived at an age where it would be nice to not look like a Star Trek extra when I go for a post-ride coffee or beer!

What are best brands to consider that offer large cycling sunglasses? My face and head isn't small so I always buy the largest models available in style sunglasses, googles, etc. After a bit of time on Google it looks like Smith, Rudy Projects and POC have a strong following of cyclists but I would like to hear from fellow WW'ers for size large recommendations.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Roka has the best optical clarity of any brand I’ve tried. Currently using Koo (Kask sister brand) as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

SunGod! Look epic, feel great, good customer service
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

RedRacer

by RedRacer

Roka and SunGod are both new two me - thanks. Anyone else find high quality riding glasses that look less freakish than Oakleys?

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

I ride smith, hard to go back to wear the jawbone after frameless. But I recommend picking ones with more coverage, not just a tiny one. There is also an option for photochromic that is completely clear so I can wear at night.
both smith and oakleys have some problem with rubber melting after a number of years. one smith the lense seem to have a coating that is flaking and basically not usable any more.
but, all the trendy people those huge POC ones. Those look really hot when climbing.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:08 am
Roka has the best optical clarity of any brand I’ve tried. Currently using Koo (Kask sister brand) as well.
might have to check these out.. I have Roka sunglasses and blue blockers but never thought of cycling glasses from them. Usually wear 100% for years now.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Roka are very very nice. Still alternating between smith and roka.

velov

by velov

RedRacer wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:38 pm
Roka and SunGod are both new two me - thanks. Anyone else find high quality riding glasses that look less freakish than Oakleys?
Haven't tried Roka but 100% S2 have been good Jawbreaker replacements. Would recommend if you're after standard sized glasses...

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I’m a big fan of the S2 look. I keep going back to them.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I just purchased the Smith Ruckus as the Oakley seem to be limiting their photochromic lenses to very few models. The Smith offer the photochromic in many different models so purchased pair onsale to see how they fit and feel. They seem to fit my helmets and my face better than any of the Oakleys I own.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

Love the sungods. Great lenses and customisation
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

Flasher

by Flasher

Smith Pivlock Reverb Photochromic, best year round glasses I've ever used :thumbup:

smartyiak

by smartyiak

On a whim, I picked up some Rapha glasses on clearance. I really like them. I might even pay full frieght if I need a second pair. The frameless don't look freakish at all.

RedRacer

by RedRacer

Circling back to this. I bought SunGod Airas with the 8KO Iris HV Blue lens. Fit is good, quality is decent but the lens is terrible. In cetain lighting conditions the reflection from the back of the lens makes it downright dangerous to ride and I've had to remove the glasses to continue riding. This has never happened to me in 25+ years of riding with Oakleys, on and off road.

The search continues. Maybe Smith or Roka next?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

ASSOS have wide sunglasses and clarity is perfect and unmatcheable