Sunglass that don't suck

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

nickf

by nickf

I'm about done with oakleys. Yet again the lens coating is flaking off. Always cleaned with microfiber. 3 set over the past 2-3 years that did this. Other riders I know experience that same thing.

What are some glasses similar to the Evzero but are a little more durable? I like frameless, don't block my entire face.

synchronicity

by synchronicity

I like old brands.
Rudy Project doesn't have any frameless models now.
Briko?
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

req110

by req110

Oakley are always good for me, now i own 2 flight jacket and they work perfect.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

roadman

by roadman

Briko durability is so-so, the Superleggero frames crack at the joints easily and the nose pad has broken on mine after 1 year. Just switched to Assos Skharab.

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

As an Oakley owner who has just bought a set of sun gods from now on I'm just buying sungod
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Had the same problem, its crazy how fast the coating peels. Ekoi was similarly bad. Went on to get 100% and it's has worked well for me without similar problems for 3 years. IIRC they do have frameless designs too.

TribesMan

by TribesMan

Happened to me on 4 different sets of Oakleys.
Usually in about 2-3 years of use. Always cleaned after use with warm water and soft cloth.

Then I bought a set of knock off "jawbreakers" from Ebay for 20€, funny enough after 3 years of use, no signs of peeling.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Are you overheating your oakleys? I don't think anyone uses special coatings. The biggest difference would be the lens material - plastic/poly/trivex (Evzero are trivex I think). coatings flaking off would indicate the lens itself shrinking or growing (or fake oakleys). Maybe just buy cheaper glasses and accept the replacement cycle. Anyone who's not Oakley is likely using Zeiss or generic lenses, so if another company doesn't work out, none of the others will either.

Most glasses don't need microfiber cloths anymore, and the microfiber just pushes the grease around.

DirtiousDirte

by DirtiousDirte

I've had 100% speedcraft sl sunglasses for a few years now and they have been great. The lenses don't have all the features of Oakley's but I do enjoy the little bit on the 100%'s that raises up. It's in the perfect spot for when you're in the drops.

ico

by ico

POC? They use high quality Zeiss Lenses. I can't complaint.

Orbital

by Orbital

I like Alba glasses. Have a few pairs and have used them for years. I have a pair of Oakley Sutros but they aren’t great for coverage so on sunny days I get full light in over the top. Kinda defeats the purpose. My Albas cover everywhere.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

I've never had this problem with Oakley but I have a friend who does. I'm convinced it's his toxic sweat, that stuff ruins frame paint too.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

OnTheRivet wrote:I've never had this problem with Oakley but I have a friend who does. I'm convinced it's his toxic sweat, that stuff ruins frame paint too.
My face/head don't sweat significantly at all, helmet paddings are still dry to the touch at the end of the ride, so there's no way any drop of sweat got onto my Oakley lenses. Somehow, they just goes to shit so fast, maybe for the high humidity and heat environment of the tropics that I'm in. My wife wears her pair like once every 3-4 months, same thing happens to hers.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

IvanZg

by IvanZg

I had this issue with Oakley's polarized lenses, would have to replace them 1-2x a year. Zero issues with prizm lenses.

Flasher

by Flasher

Smith Reverb, excellent glasses and frameless.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com