Sunglass that don't suck

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

PeytonM

by PeytonM

Question for the people having the peeling problems with Oakley, are you storing your glasses in your helmet at all during the ride?

I had a pair of radars roads for years, and for early morning starts would slip them into my jersey collar. A new helmet later and I started storing them on the helmet at the start of rides and very quickly the peeling started.

I think the flexing nature of storing them in the helmet caused the lense coating to peel.

mrbrown4001

by mrbrown4001

What about wind blockage? Are there any glasses that actually protect your eyes from the wind completely?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nickf

by nickf

Flasher wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:22 am
Smith Reverb, excellent glasses and frameless.
These look like a winner. Can also buy replacement lenses which is a plus.

With my Oakley's I always clean them after the ride to remove sweat and dirt off the lenses. I'll wear them backwards on my head if I do take them off during the ride. I just feel they should last a bit longer for the prices they command for a few grams of plastic.

Cleaner

by Cleaner

I have 3 pairs of Smith, 2 frameless used for cycling. I have not had any issue with the lens coatings delaminating but they are not polarized. I did have issues with the older generation Pivlock design which would cause cracks in the lens mount but they were covered under warranty by Smith without any problems. The latest Pivlock mount has not caused any issues so far after a year of use. I am currently using the Reverb with Chromapop lens.

Andrew69

by Andrew69

What do you guys recommend for us blind old guys that need a prescription?
Currently using a pair of Adidas cycling glasses with clip on prescription lenses inside the main lenses
I'm not really a fan at all as they fog up easily and I find the image somewhat distorted

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Andrew69 wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:15 am
Currently using a pair of Adidas cycling glasses with clip on prescription lenses inside the main lenses
I'm not really a fan at all as they fog up easily and I find the image somewhat distorted

Contact lenses. Yes, they suck for a few days, but then they don't feel like anything. They have zero distortion since the focal plane is right on top of your eyeballs.

Barring that, any non-shield style glasses/sunglasses with Trivex photochromic lenses.

Fin.

Andrew69

by Andrew69

I used to use dailies back when I was racing tri's or kick boxing, but its a bit much for a few hour ride
On cold mornings Im actually using my prescription safety glasses from work. Not exactly cool looking, but work really well because they are photochromic and sit enough off my face they dont fog up
I will check out the Trivex lenses, thanks

Edit: Also used to use cheap, frameless Uvex safety glasses as my race sunnies while racing tri's.
Were cheap enough that if they started to annoy me for whatever reason, I could just throw them at an aid station or on the run and not worry about it

req110

by req110

I really don't understand what are you troubleshooting.

I am washing all my oakleys with very hot water and dishSoap. No issues with any of lenses or frames.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

sfo423

by sfo423

I have the old pivlock and agree the arm mount to lens is a crap design (if you swap out lenses often). But, the lens are great.

When you warrantied the old Pivlock did they replace w/new design?

Cleaner wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:33 pm
I have 3 pairs of Smith, 2 frameless used for cycling. I have not had any issue with the lens coatings delaminating but they are not polarized. I did have issues with the older generation Pivlock design which would cause cracks in the lens mount but they were covered under warranty by Smith without any problems. The latest Pivlock mount has not caused any issues so far after a year of use. I am currently using the Reverb with Chromapop lens.

kafreeman

by kafreeman

I've got a pair of Smith Reverb, Optic Nerve Fixie Max and a pair of Optic Nerve Fixie Pros that cracked the lens where the arm attaches.

Smith Reverb were a warranty replacement on the Pivlock. The nose piece failed on them. Picked up the fixie pro as a quick replacement which failed after a year. Fixie Max is a bit more robust and have been holding up well.

I recently came upon a pair of Oakley Sutro at a good price though and picked them up.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Cleaner

by Cleaner

For the warranty replacement Smith provided me with a credit to be used at Smithoptics.com. The model I had was out of production hence the credit.

akaspin

by akaspin

My wife using Assos Zegho G2 for years with prescription insert. I'm using POC Aim. Both uses Zeiss lenses. No issues.

Andrew69

by Andrew69

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:20 am
Andrew69 wrote:

Contact lenses. Yes, they suck for a few days, but then they don't feel like anything. They have zero distortion since the focal plane is right on top of your eyeballs.

Barring that, any non-shield style glasses/sunglasses with Trivex photochromic lenses.

Fin.
Ive been looking for the last few days for cycling glasses that are available with my prescription but Im pretty much limited to a few different pairs of Oakleys, but by the time I include prescription lenses, the cost is totally unreasonable...almost AU$1000!

When the same glasses without prescription are sub AU$200, that is not viable.
Contact lenses look like a winner after all!

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

Be careful if you are upgrading from older Smith Pivlock to the Reverb, the Reverb has a tighter fit and was pinching my head a bit.

After making this mistake and talking to Smith, I had to get the Ruckus which is same width as the Pivlock. But the Ruckus has the bigger lens which may be warmer.

Oakley or Smith, both have rubber parts that melt after some years which feels like sticky glue, these parts are the nosepad and sleeve.
Oakley have some aftermarket support (not as good fit and finish) and I was able to find the original nose pads. Smith had no parts but they have been good to gave me a coupon to buy a new pair, although I had to pay a little out of pocket.

Lina

by Lina

Andrew69 wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:36 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:20 am
Andrew69 wrote:

Fin.
Ive been looking for the last few days for cycling glasses that are available with my prescription but Im pretty much limited to a few different pairs of Oakleys, but by the time I include prescription lenses, the cost is totally unreasonable...almost AU$1000!

When the same glasses without prescription are sub AU$200, that is not viable.
Contact lenses look like a winner after all!
I have prescription Rudy Projects with transition lenses and while they're expensive I also prefer them a lot over contacts + normal glasses.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com