Thinking about a smart watch for Christmas

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

cheapvega

by cheapvega

I'm sorry if there is a huge smart watch thread. I didn't see one. I want something that

- has a round face and can use 17mm straps
- has good sleep monitoring (I like the monitoring on my Fitbit)
- can automatically detect activity, preferably through ANT+ device detection (and moisture for swimming)
- costs less than $400USD

I use Android/Samsung if that matters.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

mcfarton

by mcfarton

I use a garmin245 music and like it. I will upgrade it when Garmin offers LTE in the lower end models. Right now it’s only the 945. Apple sells the most smart watches followed by garmin. I like the Garmin connect app, it’s free. DCRAINMAKER has lots of reviews for all the fitness oriented watches. I have never seen one that automatically detects an activity. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joejack951

by joejack951

Some Garmin watches (including my low-end Forerunner 35) have an ‘auto IQ’ feature which will automatically detect an activity. I never use it but it is there. Not sure if it will detect swimming but when I was playing with the feature it detected walking, running, and cycling just fine. The FR35 will also do sleep monitoring so I am sure others will as well.

spartacus

by spartacus

Amazon has refurbished fenix 5s plus in your price range. Maybe even 5s sapphires?

nowtaps

by nowtaps

The Garmin Venu 2S fulfills all the criteria, except they use 18mm instead of 17mm.

Surprisingly excellent sleep tracking (To the point that I had to Google how they managed to do it)

HR monitoring is also pretty good. Compared it with the TICKR Fit for 1-1.5 hour of indoor cycling and they only differs about 1-3BPM in average.

GPS tracking is also pretty good for long recreational rides that I stopped carrying my Wahoo bolt and just wore the watch

cheapvega

by cheapvega

Wow, looks like the Venu 2 has some weight lifting stuff that would be relevant to me. That might be the one.

cheapvega

by cheapvega

If I got a Garmin watch, would there be any benefit whatsoever in swapping to a Garmin bike computer? Or is something like the Venu 2S good enough to ditch my Wahoo Bolt entirely?

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I got a Vivoactive4 from my wife at Christmas. At first I thought I would never use it. Although I like gadgets, I just cannot see having a watch while working or at sleep.

After playing with it awhile, I still think it's a gadget but I kinda like it. My wrists do not since it causes a rash every now and then. Google it. Some people can wear watches and others can't. Whatever you look into, some wrist watches are worst than others.

cheapvega

by cheapvega

I have been wearing a Fitbit Insight 2 since last Christmas so watch or no watch is NBD. Just looking for a better watch. I went on an hour long ride today and while it recognized that as cycling it also counted those as steps. I find that extremely annoying

nowtaps

by nowtaps

cheapvega wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:03 pm
If I got a Garmin watch, would there be any benefit whatsoever in swapping to a Garmin bike computer? Or is something like the Venu 2S good enough to ditch my Wahoo Bolt entirely?
If you need power & cadence data, the Venu can't natively connect with it (you need workaround apps), but if you just want standard map/segments/HR to record and post to strava, then the Venu is good enough.

But yeah, I'm switching to Garmin computer now to complement the data I get from Venu. It isn't too fitness oriented, as in there are no training status, training effect, training load and recovery time metrics like you can get with garmin cycling computers.

Many ppl say it's not very accurate but I'm not too worried about the accuracy as I'm more interested in the pattern and how it changes overtime with training.

mcfarton

by mcfarton

If you are into fitness the forerunner watches are better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geoff

by Geoff

God I am old. I just googled some of the stuff you guys are talking about. Here's me thinking my Seamaster 300 with its co-axial escapement is so 'new'...

EdWiser

by EdWiser

My Apple Watch does it all and I can make calls if needed. Lastest OS added more cycling data and auto detect so you don’t even have to start the workout.

anzi

by anzi

^Does the auto detect only suggest to start a cycling workout, or does it start automatically?

EdWiser

by EdWiser

Just got the update last night will check it out today. Image

https://metro.co.uk/2021/09/22/cyclists ... -15297888/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com