Stance width and knee tracking

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

willb102

by willb102

Hi all,

I have been having a few knee niggles recently and have been looking at my stance width.

Does anyone have any thoughts on my knee tracking in this video?

Cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Raimundo

by Raimundo

In my view, nothing to do with stance. You seem to be tracking better than most of the pros and amateurs anyway... it would not be bad to have a video from the side also.

Just make sure your hamstrings, gluteal muscle group and your lower-back can keep up with your quads. From what i see in the video, your quads seem to be well developed, make sure the rest can follow. Then if still necessary worry about corrections, whether they be through stance width, shims...

Trying to emulate beautiful riding positions that other athletes/amateurs use doesn't always apply seamlessly to your own morphology. Static training like in your video should always be only a part of the story, and not the whole picture. And i don't just mean getting outdoors and ride either.

A basic bike-fit goes a long way, but understanding your own muscular quirks can lead to a much needed fine tuning on the bike... and this is extremely important if your goal is to snap that crankset in half on a regular basis, while pain-free that is. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ms6073

by ms6073

I would agree with previous reply, but can't help but am curious which pedal system/cleats. Thinking there might be something to be gained by altering cleat setup such that the OP's ankles are pushed out a tad further away from the frame. That said, would be a good idea for the OP to record him walking in bare feet towards and away from the camera to gauge natural stride to determine if he walks toe in or toe out as well as whether or not there are concerns over arch/instep as well as whether or there are ane varus/valgus considerations.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

willb102

by willb102

Thanks for the reply both.

I am using shimano spd-sl pedal system. Will try and get some of the videos that you have suggested.

Would be interested to see how you feel this compares to the original video?

Cheers

robertbb

by robertbb

Your knee tracking is excellent.

Agree we'd need to see side-on to be a bit more definitive.

My hunch: move cleats back a few mm and saddle slightly down the same amount.

robertbb

by robertbb

Your left leg tracks MARGINALLY better than your right in the 2nd vid. Leg length discrepancy....? Which knee is causing pain?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

robertbb wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:45 pm
Your left leg tracks MARGINALLY better than your right in the 2nd vid. Leg length discrepancy....? Which knee is causing pain?

His left or our left? IMO his left knee is a bit wonkier than his right.

robertbb

by robertbb

His left. His right, to my eye at least, tracks outwards slightly on the pull before moving back inboard as part of the push

willb102

by willb102

Main issue has been localised VMO discomfort in both legs.

First video is cleats all the way out (narrow as possible) second is cleats all the way in (wide as possible)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

willb102 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:23 am
Main issue has been localised VMO discomfort in both legs.

First video is cleats all the way out (narrow as possible) second is cleats all the way in (wide as possible)

IMO stance-width is somewhat important, but rarely the biggest contributor to knee pain. Have you tried different footbeds with more arch support or the little in-shoe wedges that Specialized makes?

Also I’m not sure if you’re naturally riding with your knees cocked inward because it’s visually appealing and aerodynamically beneficial, but some people are better off keeping their knees farther away from the bike. It’s counterintuitive, but you should relax your knee and ankle and not consciously try to stabilize them while your big muscles are driving your legs.