Rim brake-ten speed? What are they worth?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

roberto

by roberto

Just curios and wasn't sure where to ask as it has been a while where would be the best place to sell a few nice bikes?

Too many years totally off any bike because of an illness. Back at it again thankfully and refurbishing three carbon fiber bikes I built along the lines of the WWs :D

Two Cervelo R3s, a SLC-SL and a P2 , with Zip or Zipp Firecrest wheels (303s or 808s) . One of the R3s checks in at 11# with 303s, Zero Gravity brakes and a Red gruppo among the goodies. The other two were built to be lwt bikes with Dur-Ace 10 speed drive trains.

Ebay? Slow Twitch? Here on WW comes to mind. Any other places I need to check out? Thanks for the help.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. While my roadies, one are and standard caliper brake and the other disc. I love them both. Can you favor one of your childfren over the other? They both appeal to be in dirrent ways as do my daughters. Slowtwitch, here and Craigslist are all free to post and sell. I've had a falling lut with Ebay. They claim, and they maybe truthful, that they cannot send your funds to Paypal from a sale and it has to go to your checking account. There went my "I can buy bike things with no questions mode". The wife doesn't understand the need for spare wheels, chain, tubes and tires. Yes I still ride tube abiet latex for so many years I can't count. Tubeless cross and fatbike 100% but I just don't embrace it on the road even though all my wheelsets are tubeless compatible.

AJS914

by AJS914

List them on craiglist and Facebook marketplace. Think of that as free market research. You can list them and see if you get any response. Local sales also depends on where you live. If you live in a major metro area with 8M people, bikes are easy to sell. If you live in a small town with 100K people, they will be harder to sell.
They claim, and they maybe truthful, that they cannot send your funds to Paypal from a sale and it has to go to your checking account.
Ebay divorced from Paypal a while ago. Now Paypal is just one of many ways to pay for stuff on ebay. It sounds like for selling, they don't allow you to use Paypal now? FWIW, checking or savings accounts are usually free. You could set up a separate account to funnel your ebay bike parts slush funds through so your wife never sees the bill. :-)

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Pinkbike.
Facebook groups will get the most attentation. List them with training wheels and the fancy wheels extra.

Matt28NJ

by Matt28NJ

Love that generation SLC.

I'll bet you find plenty of buyers who will still work with 10 speed. I actually love 10 speed, but that's because I have a whole ecosystem invested in that gear - my race bike (Venge), commuter (retired race bike Tarmac) and TT bike (Cervelo S2), and 11 speed has seemed a pointless reason to get rid of all that gear, including race wheels and all assorted spares.

And 10 speed never slowed anyone down; I raced 2021 in elite criteriums with 10 speed. Is there anything more "Crit-rat" friendly than replaceable, cheap 10 speed gear?

AJS914

by AJS914

I was also going to say that typically you'd make a lot more parting the bikes out on eBay.

I've gotten free frames by buying bikes like those and then selling off all the unneeded parts.

roberto

by roberto

Thank you gentlemen. Some ideas I had not thought of.

eurostar

by eurostar

Sell them fast before the shortage of new bikes and components ends.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com