Cycling Emilia Romagna

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

clutchmarlin

by clutchmarlin

Hi guys,
First post on the board. Thanks for accepting.

I am travelling with my wife the next two weeks to Italy to see family. Not our first time to Italy, but it is my first time renting a bike. I will have it for our second week, when we are staying in the Emilia Romagna region, more specifically, about 30km south of Bologna outside of Grizzana Morandi. I will be riding solo, likely in the mornings, so planning 40-60km rides. Has anyone ridden this area before? Any must sees? Safety tips? Gear tips? I have made a bunch of routes using the most popular roads based on strava, is that reliable?

Basically any extra info would be great!

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

micky

by micky

Don't have any real suggestion for that area, but everytime I happened to be passing by car in Emilia, I always wished to have my bike with me.
Not huge mountains but many nice landscapes.

clutchmarlin

by clutchmarlin

Thanks!

Definitely a beautiful area! A little intimidated coming from flat Toronto area, but looking forward to it! I've got ~6k in this year so I should be good to go, right!? :lol:

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I hope you have been riding the escarpment frequently for some hills clutchmarlin. I have ridden the area to the south Riccione at the Belvedere Motel and the countryside in that area is more medium mountains and also the area somewhat near Florence (Greve) and the mountains there were a little bigger but nothing crazy. Tuscany is a beauty area and I would love to go back one day. Have lots of fun.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Hi and welcome to WW's.
I have some experience in that area. My recommendation is to work south toward Monte Calvi, there are some fum roads and medium climbs in the area. As well to the west is Sestola which gives you access to some nice routes near Monte Cimone. Be prepared for some bad roads. It all depends on your exact route, but some of the best terrain in that area involves some rough surfaces. Route finding in the area can be a challenge so a good GPS unit is a must. Also wouldn't hurt to look at a paper map to get the lay of the land.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

clutchmarlin

by clutchmarlin

Thanks all, really looking forward to it. Yes, been trying to get as much climbing as possible in, although nothing quite like this obviously. Either way, got everything sorted. Strava has a handy feature to minimize elevation, so I've made a couple routes that seem to be a good balance. Only one way to find out! Cheers all!