Rain jacket

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

mrlobber

by mrlobber

jfranci3 wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:32 pm
Shakedry doesn't live up to the hype. It packs small, breathes slightly better than Gore Active/GTX or similar, but doesn't fit well, doesn't feel nice, isn't durable, and without any air moving around inside, you're a swampy mess inside.
So what is it you would recommend instead?
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

alistaird

by alistaird

I use one of these packed in the bag... Found it pretty good when it rains and I'm already out and about.

Novel use of a parachute.

http://www.thewashingmachinepost.net/ra ... eview.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jfranci3

by jfranci3

mrlobber wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:14 am
jfranci3 wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:32 pm
Shakedry doesn't live up to the hype. It packs small, breathes slightly better than Gore Active/GTX or similar, but doesn't fit well, doesn't feel nice, isn't durable, and without any air moving around inside, you're a swampy mess inside.
So what is it you would recommend instead?
Found what I was looking for while shopping for a rain/light winter shell today... "air permeability" This is the amount of air the shell lets for a given amount of pressure (wind). Most of these have ~0cfm (cubic ft/min). For cardio, you always want some. Shakedry is ~.1cfm

(these numbers may not be from the same testing method)
  • Waterproof rating (fabric only) Breathabilty (moisture transfer) Air Perm
  • Trad Goretex/windstopper 27000mm 27000g/m/24 0cfm
  • Shakedry - 50000mm 27-80000g/m/24 .1cfm
  • eVent - 10000mm 20-30000g/m/24 .1-2cfm (Velico Rain)
  • Gore Active (GTX) 27000mm 27000g/m/24 .1-.2cfm
  • Polartec Neoshell 10000mm 20000g/m/24 .5 -1cfm (Ornot , Sportful Fiandre Pro Jacket)
  • Polartec Shield Pro 5000mm 20000g/m/24 5 cfm (PNS Control Winter Jacket)
  • non-undershirt Cotton t-shirt 23cfm
  • Fleece jacket 65cfm
  • NF Futurelight / Outdoor reseach Acentshell 15,0000mm 15-30000mm 1.5cfm
Waterproof: 5000:drizzle w/ wind ; 10000 rain w/ wind; 20000+ sea captain

So, something like the Northface/Outdoor research solutions would be best here (basically eVent with a lot of micro holes in it) , but they don't make a jacket in a tight cut. Another solution if its not so wet is something like Castelli does and get a partial waterproof jacket. If you're dealing with proper wet conditions, you're going to get cold and/or wet, but I'd try the Polartec jackets

Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

Problem with comparing fabrics is that you are just comparing the outer shell. These numbers don't include the scrim, tape and anywhere that the fabric may have been strengthened.

They get these numbers from a piece of fabric pulled taught over a container so it is very hard to compare in real life

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I do not disagree with the criticisms of shakedry but it has a unique advantage in that it does not have an outer bonded fabric. Outer fabrics depend on a surface treatment (DWR) that repells water. In serious rain that treatment will be overwhelmed and the fabric will be saturated with water. A saturated fabric will not breath which results in condensation on the inside of the jacket. As well it will conduct heat away from the body and be heavy.

The advantage of Shakedry is that water simply cannot stick to it so you will be dry. The limited breathability of any rain jacket means that if you ride hard you will sweat or produce more water vapour from you body than any jacket can expel and here Shakedry is no different. But if you can manage your effort, Shakedry cannot be beat IMO - it breaths well enough for moderate effort and you can even climb with it on if you leave it open. And my size XL Seven Mesh Oro weighs less than 100 grams and doesn't even take up a complete jersey pocket when stowed. I will never bother with anything else.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

dmp

by dmp

I've been really happy with the Pactimo Torrent (https://www.pactimo.com/collections/men ... acket-mens). Its really light and compact (fits easily in a jersey pocket), true race fit but stretchy, and breathes as well as anything I've ever tried while keeping me dry. Obviously if you are working hard enough you'll sweat enough to collect moisture inside, but this seems to do better than the alternatives I've used.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

velomane wrote:I did a 2 hour ride in the rain this morning wearing the 7mesh Oro jacket. Temperature was 16C and I was perfectly comfortable. There are two vents on the back that kept the inside comfortable. Money well spent as far as I'm concerned. https://7mesh.com/mens-oro-jacket
I have one too - best bit of kit I have ever bought. Shakedry has transformed my bad weather cycling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

youngs_modulus

by youngs_modulus

Mr.Gib wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:52 pm
The advantage of Shakedry is that water simply cannot stick to it so you will be dry. The limited breathability of any rain jacket means that if you ride hard you will sweat or produce more water vapour from you body than any jacket can expel and here Shakedry is no different. But if you can manage your effort, Shakedry cannot be beat IMO - it breaths well enough for moderate effort [...] I will never bother with anything else.
I'll second this. In any given rain condition, Shakedry breathes better than any other membrane-based fabric. It is a little fragile and pit zips wouldn't hurt. But the main pitch for Shakedry is that it's a lightweight shell that breathes indefinitely because it doesn't get wetted out.

At that, it succeeds brilliantly.