Best American made steel frames

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Dakrisht

by Dakrisht

Looking to build up a single speed but ideally, U.S. made steel and frameset.

What are some of your favorite U.S. steel makers?

I know of MASH but those are impossible to get since they make like 100 per year or what have you. All City are great but made in Taiwan or Asia.

Curous to hear your thoughts!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Herb5998

by Herb5998

What type of steel? TIG welded, lugged, fillet brazed? Tons of great builders out there.

I’ve got a 953 Stainless frame from David Kirk, Kirk Frameworks.

Chris Bishop does some incredible work

English Cycles as well

Tons of other builders, really depends on type of construction, what you like for style, and build time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dakrisht

by Dakrisht

Herb5998 wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:44 am
What type of steel? TIG welded, lugged, fillet brazed? Tons of great builders out there.

I’ve got a 953 Stainless frame from David Kirk, Kirk Frameworks.

Chris Bishop does some incredible work

English Cycles as well

Tons of other builders, really depends on type of construction, what you like for style, and build time
Thanks, I've head of Chris Bishop, definitely some amazing builds. But more high-end road machines than a single speed. Something you throw Super Record on and destroy all carbon :)

I think TIG welded looks better in my eyes, although lugged are gorgeous too (especailly the old school Colnago's, Faggin, Cinelli... basically anything Italian).

I have a Cinelli Supercorsa which rides like a dream (Columbus SL tubing) but I'm thinking that something along the lines of Reynolds 725 tubing could be a solid single-speed build. I'm no steel expert but the characteristics for me here are: a supple and comfortable ride.

I ride carbon mainly these days on road, but want a bike I can spend an hour or two, casually cruising, city, paths, some errands - a city machine that's also lively, has pop, stiff BB and looks incredible (with a matching paint job). I love the steel Paul components, for example, and want to bling it out a bit, tastefully.

Just finished a carbon / Campagnolo build and love it so want to go in a completely different direction with this build.

I know you have "entry-level" brands such as Wabi (US assembled, Taiwan made Reynolds tubing) or MASH (all US?) who are somewhat mass produced but well priced sub-$1000 framesets. Just not a big expert on single speeds, even though any frame can be a single speed. I love what a shop like BLUE LUG in Japan does with their builds.

Would love a Stelbel or Faggin (in my opinion, as good as it gets in Italian steel) but don't want to drop $3000 on a frameset right now.

Just some thoughts :)

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

Waterford or Gunner might be good options. Had a Gunner 27.5 hardtail and it was a wonderful frame. Beautiful welds and paint.

dolophonic

by dolophonic

look at Hunter, he builds son=me sweet frames

nowtaps

by nowtaps

I'm 99% sure MASH frameset are made in Taiwan, not in the US.
The older MASH are made in Taiwan as a collab with Cinelli, it doesn't make sense that, post-Cinelli, they can make and sell a US-made frameset for only slightly higher than Taiwanese frames.

If you're looking for a steel, US-made, single-speed frameset, Squid Bikes comes to mind? Still handmade in the US and they can do some crazy colours, too.

If you wanna include alloy frames in the picture, LOW Bicycles makes LK Road framesets, handmade in SF for like ~$1500. Amazing value.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

I am almost 100% confident that MASH is made in Taiwan

froze

by froze

Rodriguez Cycles at rodbikes.com They not only do they make the lightest steel bike on the planet but whatever bike you select for only $250 more they can custom build it for your fit needs. About a year ago I did an online search for problems with their lightest frame called the Outlaw and found none! They're a bit pricey for my budget constraints otherwise I would have bought one of the Outlaw models. The company for some reason just fascinates me with what they can do to with steel tubing...and by the way, they are very honest about their frame weights.

Benbo

by Benbo

By single speed do you mean a "fixie"? If so I'd go with someone who specializes in these types of bikes. Maybe https://www.broakland.com/track-bikes

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

You might want to look up local builders. Even someone I ride with weekly is fabricating his own frames as of last year and they look excellent.