Northwest Italy?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Good pandemic riding here in the Pacific Northwest over the last 18 months but this ain't the Alps. So I think I will take a risk and book travel to Piemonte for 2 - 3 weeks in August. Of course all the big climbs in that part Italy are in the plans, but I'd like to spend a week hanging out and doing some "warm up" riding before the heavy lifting starts. I was thinking of Alba as a base. Any insights? Recommendations? Tips? Are there alternative towns in the area that might be better? My plan is AirBnB type rental for the hanging out. The rest of the trip will be nice hotels, and it sure looks like Piemonte is not short of nice hotels.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dolophonic

by dolophonic

Lots and lots of amazing riding there .. from the hills of piemonte to the mountains above. What is the trip you have planned ? dont want to recommend the same as you have already on the agenda.
Faunera is great climb to start with.. i can give you more info.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

dolophonic wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:40 pm
What is the trip you have planned ? dont want to recommend the same as you have already on the agenda.
Faunera is great climb to start with.. i can give you more info.
Thanks. The climbing part of the trip will include the famous climbs: Fauniera, Sampeyre, Finestre, Sestriere, Agnello and into France for the Izoard. I have the big mountains pretty sorted. I was more wondering about any "must ride" routes near Alba or alternately if there was a better base town as far as the riding goes. The Piemonte hills/vineyard area all look pretty similar (and great). On paper it seems you can't go wrong, but perhaps local knowledge says there are some gem routes and places to avoid. Curious about that sort of info.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

jdecraene85

by jdecraene85

I am leaving for Piemonte for 2 weeks the day after tomorrow :-)
The ones you listed are great, especially Fauniera, which is the best imho. Sestrière is clearly the least interesting option on that list.
You should also add Colle della Lombarda (Italian side) with a nice detour to Sant'Anna di Vinadio (highest sanctuary in Europe + ice cream). It's a great climb I've done twice.
If you're wanting to go a little bit further away from Alba, even into France, then the Colle del Nivolet (!!!), Col de la Bonette are great options too.
If you're interested in some more gravel besides Finestre: check Strada dell'Assietta / Strada Militare Gran Serin (= next to Finestre) and Altopiano della Gardetta (= next to Fauniera). Loads of info on https://www.cycling-challenge.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

jdecraene85 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:46 am
Strada dell'Assietta / Strada Militare Gran Serin (= next to Finestre) and Altopiano della Gardetta (= next to Fauniera). Loads of info on https://www.cycling-challenge.com
Those roads look incredible but can they be ridden comfortable on 28mm tires? Doesn't look like it. Going up is never a problem, descending on 28mm road tires can be a big problem.

dolophonic

by dolophonic

they can but doesn't mean they should ! I like the riding from Barcelonette .. but i think you have a lot of great climbing in store. I have done some great days in that area The Langhe is amazing, you could do the old salt road if you want a little adventure riding too.
Monforte D Alba - Dogliani -Murzzano - San Benedette Belbo- Niella Belbo - Serravale Langhe-Pedaggra- back to Monforte D Alba was a fun loop .. the whole area is great.

Who are you doing a trip with there ?
I used to do one from Turin to Nice that was heavy but a lot of fun. I have also worked Cent Cols in that area that covers most of your climbs.. you will have a blast. :thumbup:

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Great info thanks. I am looking at a couple of options, but if you know some good tour providers, I will look at others. The pandemic has me waiting til the last minute to commit. It would be naive not to the think the whole thing could blow up in my face at the last minute, and nothing is insurable these days. Done the Cent Cols thing - wild fun. Would love to do more of those, but injuries mean I am limited to about 5 - 8 hours per day of saddle time. Cent Cols is 10 -12 hours per day and 10 days in a row - beautiful madness, but sadly not for me at present. Maybe next summer if the body survives this adventure.

basilic

by basilic

Also, colle Nivolet near Ceresole Reale. Several reports on the cycling-challenge site. A bit out of the way though. The real climb starts in Noasca, the old road that bypasses the tunnel above Noasca has been resurfaced for the Giro a few yrs ago.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

If you need a long lunch one day, this is a nice spot: https://www.locandaincannubi.it/en/ and if you decide to take day off and sample the local grape juice this is a nice vineyard tour: https://www.vietti.com/en/tour/ . You can't go to Piedmont and not indulge a bit :wink:

COVID may affect opening hours.
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

basilic

by basilic

Mr.Gib wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:09 am
Those roads look incredible but can they be ridden comfortable on 28mm tires?
The Assietta road is passable on 28 tires but not optimal, you end up looking the the road too much (and I did flat on the descent to Sestrière). But it's a great road, a pity to miss out on it. Next time I would rent a mtb locally.
I have looked at the Gardetta a couple times from the Valcavera pass but never dared descend, it seemed too rough. It's very remote, a serious mechanical could be an issue. But the scenery is unbelieveable.
Another nice option is the military road around Tende, but only the western rim is easily doable on a road bike, from col de Tende to baisse de Peyrefique, there turn right to Castérino, where the road becomes paved down to St Delmas de Tende (tbh I have not ridden that bit to Casterino, I rode up from the town of Tende to baisse d'Ourne, but in places it's difficult, quite steep on loose dirt, I wouldn' recomment descending on that). The eastern rim is superb, but for mtbs.
Have fun!

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Again, amazing but this is serious gravel bike territory. Has the makings of a fantastic gravel trip if the right tour company could figure out a way to offer proper support (enduro type motor bikes? :D ). And all of the good stuff is way up high so don't even bother unless the weather is perfect or you could die. Nope, it is going to be mostly tarmac for me or whatever makes sense on 28mm tires. The strada bianche in Tuscany was all I wanted and more as far as taking a road bike on an unfinished surface. Hammering on that stuff is a gas but as soon as the road turns or descends it's pucker time. Remember Evenpoel's face during the Giro - dude was terrified. I think even worse roads at over 2000 meters is asking for trouble. And remember all this is with Mrs. Gib, who while strong as Andre Greipel, has zero off road chops. She regards mountain biking as exactly the same as hiking except that you are carrying a bike. :lol: Would be epic on a proper gravel rig. Maybe next time.

Matte86

by Matte86

Mr.Gib wrote:Again, amazing but this is serious gravel bike territory. Has the makings of a fantastic gravel trip if the right tour company could figure out a way to offer proper support (enduro type motor bikes? :D ). And all of the good stuff is way up high so don't even bother unless the weather is perfect or you could die. Nope, it is going to be mostly tarmac for me or whatever makes sense on 28mm tires. The strada bianche in Tuscany was all I wanted and more as far as taking a road bike on an unfinished surface. Hammering on that stuff is a gas but as soon as the road turns or descends it's pucker time. Remember Evenpoel's face during the Giro - dude was terrified. I think even worse roads at over 2000 meters is asking for trouble. And remember all this is with Mrs. Gib, who while strong as Andre Greipel, has zero off road chops. She regards mountain biking as exactly the same as hiking except that you are carrying a bike. :lol: Would be epic on a proper gravel rig. Maybe next time.
Late to the party, but I live in Piemonte.. so any help or info you need I’m more than happy to help
Are you here now? If so Where are you located?

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Matte86 wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:43 pm
Mr.Gib wrote:Again, amazing but this is serious gravel bike territory. Has the makings of a fantastic gravel trip if the right tour company could figure out a way to offer proper support (enduro type motor bikes? :D ). And all of the good stuff is way up high so don't even bother unless the weather is perfect or you could die. Nope, it is going to be mostly tarmac for me or whatever makes sense on 28mm tires. The strada bianche in Tuscany was all I wanted and more as far as taking a road bike on an unfinished surface. Hammering on that stuff is a gas but as soon as the road turns or descends it's pucker time. Remember Evenpoel's face during the Giro - dude was terrified. I think even worse roads at over 2000 meters is asking for trouble. And remember all this is with Mrs. Gib, who while strong as Andre Greipel, has zero off road chops. She regards mountain biking as exactly the same as hiking except that you are carrying a bike. :lol: Would be epic on a proper gravel rig. Maybe next time.
Late to the party, but I live in Piemonte.. so any help or info you need I’m more than happy to help
You are a lucky bastard to live there. A week of riding everything we could in Barolo and Barbaresco - really the whole of the Langhe followed by a week in the high mountains, and due to Covid, all of it without a tourist in sight - place was empty and silent, a once in a lifetime opportunity. Absolutely incredible riding and you eat and drink well also. I will be back soon.

Matte86

by Matte86

Mr.Gib wrote:
Matte86 wrote:
You are a lucky bastard to live there. A week of riding everything we could in Barolo and Barbaresco - really the whole of the Langhe followed by a week in the high mountains, and due to Covid, all of it without a tourist in sight - place was empty and silent, a once in a lifetime opportunity. Absolutely incredible riding and you eat and drink well also. I will be back soon.
LOL!
more than happy you enjoyed your time here
Which high mountains did you get to ride?
You should definitely come back.. next time we organize a ride together
Where are you from?

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Matte86 wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:41 am
Mr.Gib wrote:
Matte86 wrote:
LOL!
more than happy you enjoyed your time here
Which high mountains did you get to ride?
You should definitely come back.. next time we organize a ride together
Where are you from?
Fauniera, Sempeyre, dell'Agnello, Izoard, Finestre, and a bunch of lesser colle. Thanks for you kind offer of a ride. The Langhe is so nice I would seriously consider a long term visit. The roads and views in the vineyards of Barbaresco in particular blew my mind. It would be nice to hang out there for a couple of months. I'm on the west coast of Canada - the jet lag is killing me. :shock: I go to Europe every summer and I don't remember it this bad. Going out for a ride with some buddies this morning. I'd better get my shit together. :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com