menthol for riding in the heat?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

theStig

by theStig

With summer coming, i've been looking at the Sis turbo+ gels (currently out of stock) which claims that adding menthol will reduce the perceived effects of heat by approx 5%.

https://www.scienceinsport.com/us/shop- ... els-6-pack

there was an article on Nature that talkes about applying menthol to control perceived heat during exercise..
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-70499-9

I'm considering finding some bulk menthol extract and adding it to my bottles. I always did like minty water. Apparently, there iis also an amount of menthol that becomes toxic depending on body weight.

Has anyone looked into this?

usr

by usr

Judging by Moroccan tea habits you might be on to something.

Personally I'm too much of a sucker for that piss-warm plasticcy taste of stale water towards the end of a long summer ride because those are the moments when I cherished a beverage the most. How could I not love it?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

synchronicity

by synchronicity

Not menthol, but I once added glycerol into my drinks because I read in some magazine that it improves performance... never again!🥴

Probably the best thing would be to get used to cycling in hot weather.
I used to go out training right in the middle afternoon part of the day when it was like 43°C. :mrgreen:
People thought I was crazy.:mrgreen:

What temperatures are you expecting to encounter?
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

theStig

by theStig

synchronicity wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:59 am
Not menthol, but I once added glycerol into my drinks because I read in some magazine that it improves performance... never again!🥴

Probably the best thing would be to get used to cycling in hot weather.
I used to go out training right in the middle afternoon part of the day when it was like 43°C. :mrgreen:
People thought I was crazy.:mrgreen:

What temperatures are you expecting to encounter?
Thats what I do in the summer, head out around 3pm with sun sleeves on. 105-110F usually. When I'm alone I can manage the pace well enough that I don't suffer too much with adequate hydration... but sometimes in group rides there's always the odd enthusiast that pushes the pace too fast and too long.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

And I thought this was a thread about cigarettes.....

ms6073

by ms6073

theStig wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:00 am
head out around 3pm with sun sleeves on. 105-110F usually.
That is not really an option for those of us in areas with really high humidity as there is little to next to eno vaporative cooling especially with a hot southerly breeze, hence for many the sun sleeves simply become saturated with sweat.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

3phase

by 3phase

Menthol? nah, we don't need them Menthols here in South East Asia :thumbup: 35-42C @ 90-95% Humidity

Just train for the heat

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com