Hammerhead Karoo 2 vs garmin 530

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

spookyload

by spookyload

I've had mine since February. Daily commuting with it amd several very long rides. Did the Co2uT gravel race last weekend with it. It's a very solid unit. I haven't had a single crash with it. At the gravel race, it ran for 9.5 hours with wifi and cellular turned off. Paired with a power meter and HR via ANT+, it had 35% remaining at the end of the ride.

My favorite feature hands down is the ability to side load apps. Any app from the Google play store can be added. When I pair my headphones with it, I can play Audible and Pandora via cellular data. The software team is very active with updates and you generally get a new firmware tweaking things ever other Thursday. I'm a long time garmin 1030 user and every version prior. I held on to the Garmin when I bought this, just to be sure I was going to be happy. If anyone has specific questions of what it can do, hit me up. Newest feature that is purely cosmetic is the color change kits you can add. They screw on in a few seconds.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

handler wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 11:25 am
It depends for now, you can sideload Facebook Messenger and Whatsapp to do calls with a bluetooth headset. Even Spotify works. I often leave my phone home after starting using the Karoo.
I am really interested in doing this to my Karoo 2. I have tried, but couldn't get WhatsApp to work, so I am interested that you have. The thing which ocurred to me is that you need an address book on it, and a dialer too (or do you?) to get it all to work properly. I am happy to just copy your setup if it is working. I am with you - I have a Karoo 2, a Wahoo Bolt and a Garmin 810. There is nothing wrong with the Garmin, and I am happy with it. I can even get 9 hours battery out of it connected to a PM, but a Karoo 2 landed in my lap. Now I have it, I would love to just carry a Bluetooth headset and use the Karoo for telefonie.

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Worth note is that the Karoo still does not work with google play services which kills a handful of useful apps or pieces of them. Side loading is fun but you're also always an update away from having to mess about with it. I agree there is still potential here. I just wish they would unlock the boot loader and open it up for development - or perhaps move a little quicker to turning it into the phone that it is. Glad to see them moving forward overall though. The market needs competition.
Just ride ..

ohjinguh9

by ohjinguh9

This is what I don't understand about the karoo. I can get an actual android phone with 5000mah battery, and full android functionality, for 1/2 the price. then you stick a garmin mount on the back and use it like a bike computer. Did I say 1/2 the price?

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SM-A217M ... uage=en_US

I run a 1030, but I've had 2 ride buddies both return their hammerhead 2s for disappointing battery life when all the gizmos are on

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

ohjinguh9 wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:08 pm
This is what I don't understand about the karoo. I can get an actual android phone with 5000mah battery, and full android functionality, for 1/2 the price. then you stick a garmin mount on the back and use it like a bike computer. Did I say 1/2 the price?

I run a 1030, but I've had 2 ride buddies both return their hammerhead 2s for disappointing battery life when all the gizmos are on
Same argument for the 1030 though, isn't it? Why have that and not a Samsung phone?

Flasher

by Flasher

RTW wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:01 am
ohjinguh9 wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:08 pm

Same argument for the 1030 though, isn't it? Why have that and not a Samsung phone?
Well it is close to getting to that stage, Samsung S21 is waterproof rated to IP68, and all day runtime, I've not looked into it but am now wondering if there are apps you can connect sensors to!

How complicated could it be for a company like Samsung to launch a cycle specific cell phone :noidea:

jlok

by jlok

Phones touch screen may not work too well under direct sunlight, sweat and rain. But when you have a spare lying around, yeah why not? Must be cheaper than buying 830.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

MiSzA (PL)

by MiSzA (PL)

[/quote]
Well it is close to getting to that stage, Samsung S21 is waterproof rated to IP68, and all day runtime, I've not looked into it but am now wondering if there are apps you can connect sensors to!
[/quote]

http://www.iforpowell.com/cms/index.php?page=ipbike

ohjinguh9

by ohjinguh9

RTW wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:01 am

my 1030 doesnt parade around as a pseudo android phone tho. it has a nearly 24hr battery, it has more functions baked in, w/ convenient on bike charging options
Karoo battery life is what, 8hrs? you could do that on a bigger cheaper phone just as easily is my point

London9921

by London9921

spookyload wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 1:53 am
I've had mine since February. Daily commuting with it amd several very long rides. Did the Co2uT gravel race last weekend with it. It's a very solid unit. I haven't had a single crash with it. At the gravel race, it ran for 9.5 hours with wifi and cellular turned off. Paired with a power meter and HR via ANT+, it had 35% remaining at the end of the ride.

My favorite feature hands down is the ability to side load apps. Any app from the Google play store can be added. When I pair my headphones with it, I can play Audible and Pandora via cellular data. The software team is very active with updates and you generally get a new firmware tweaking things ever other Thursday. I'm a long time garmin 1030 user and every version prior. I held on to the Garmin when I bought this, just to be sure I was going to be happy. If anyone has specific questions of what it can do, hit me up. Newest feature that is purely cosmetic is the color change kits you can add. They screw on in a few seconds.

Hey spooky. How did you find it so far?

I'm looking for something which works well for gravel riding/navigation and is easy to operate on the bike or side of the road. Clear screan regardless of how bright it is outside. Those would be my decision criteria's. Not fussed about additional apps, music or add-ons. HK2 costing $100 more than the 530 is OK if it performs better than the 530. Has yours been stable? Any outrages or crashes?

Hazzer19

by Hazzer19

Not sure if it's ok to post this here but I'm looking to try out the K2 and have a fairly new Wahoo Roam if anyone is interested in trading. Thanks!

Visqu

by Visqu

10hrs battery life during summer months, how about winter?
My original Karoo had less than 1h of battery life when below 0°C.

jencvo

by jencvo

Visqu wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:41 am
A buddy of mine had his Karoo 2 die in 5hrs using navigation and being sinked to power meter and HR monitor (hot, humid weather too). 10 hours is extremely optimistic.

HansZuDemFranz

by HansZuDemFranz

jencvo wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:22 pm
Visqu wrote:
A buddy of mine had his Karoo 2 die in 5hrs using navigation and being sinked to power meter and HR monitor (hot, humid weather too). 10 hours is extremely optimistic.
Well I get more than 10 hours easily. So its definetely not "extremely optimistic".

jencvo

by jencvo

HansZuDemFranz wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:32 pm
jencvo wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:22 pm
Visqu wrote:
Well I get more than 10 hours easily. So its definetely not "extremely optimistic".
Maybe just a unit then? Is that with navigation on, power meter, Di2, and heart rate connected?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com