How to setup older iphone as bike computer?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

stockae92

by stockae92

I have a few iphone 5s laying around and thinking to see if I can convert them into bike computer

whats a good mount for them? bike computer app?

or am i better off just getting an actually bike computer

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

openwheelracing

by openwheelracing

Use Wahoo app with iPhone 5. Perfect

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Quadlock is great, but I wouldn’t even bother, the battery just wont last

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Been curious about this too for a while, so got a cheap Zrace out front mount of Ali, along with a silicone case to glue the garmin adapter to and a couple of Magene S3+ sensors. The mount is surprisingly good quality and solidly built. Paired with ipbike (Android only), the setup proved to be great, I am not going back to a cycling computer. The battery life point @robbosmans makes might be true for iPhone, though. My Pixel 4a has an OLED screen and the ipbike allows to configure an all-black UI, which helps to keep usage to about 10-15% a ride. I say this is worth a try and quite affordable.

AJS914

by AJS914

I tried this a long time ago. Battery life was an issue and I could keep the screen lit using Apple Maps while not plugged in. I suppose a cycling specific app would work better.

The good news is that DIY battery swaps on older iPhones isn't very hard and 3rd party batteries are inexpensive.