MAAP's product range - equivalents to Rapha?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shrike

by Shrike

Is the Evade Pro Base their 'aero jersey' equivalent? Looks like it has dimpled arms, or is that just a stylistic thing.
https://maap.cc/eu/products/evade-pro-base-jersey-maize

They have the Stealth Race fit. Maybe this is more their 'aero' jersey?
https://maap.cc/eu/products/stealth-race-fit-jersey-ink

Guess I'm puzzled over Race fit v Pro fit. Both sounds very tight to me. How do they compare to Rapha.

They also have an Echo Pro Base jersey
https://www.sigmasports.com/item/MAAP/E ... ersey/P9HE

That looks very similar to the Evade.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

garbageman

by garbageman

The Echo (and before that the Encore) is just the previous season's iteration of the Evade. I think they are the same except for the graphics and colors. The material used on the sleeves is a textured mesh; I don't think it's intent is to provide aerodynamic benefit. It's moreso for comfort, ventilation, moisture wicking, and style.

Haven't tried their race fit jerseys but the Echo Pro jersey I have is pretty close in fit to the Rapha Pro Team (non-aero) jersey (size XS vs XS), maybe slightly shorter in the body. The sleeves are a tighter and longer on the MAAP jersey. The race fit jerseys are supposed to be a tighter fit but maybe not by much judging from the shots of the model.

The short sleeve Rapha aero jersey is a lot tighter than the MAAP pro fit and regular Rapha Pro Team in the same size in my experience. The sleeves are slightly longer on the Rapha aero jersey compared to the MAAP Echo, IIRC. I size up in the short sleeve Rapha aero - long sleeve version is fine in my normal size.

I like the pockets on the Rapha Pro Team line better than MAAP - the angled cut, less bouncy, zippered pocket. I also prefer the thinner waist band on the Rapha jerseys. I find the MAAP line better looking and the sleeves more comfortable than both the regular and aero Rapha Pro Team.

Shrike

by Shrike

That is brilliant thanks GM. Looking to replace my ‘fast’ jersey the Rapha Aero short sleeve. Like you I wear it one size up, but the long sleeve aero I wear Medium as normal.

Would you get for a medium or large Evade to get same fit as Large Pro Team Aero or medium regular pro team jerseys?

garbageman

by garbageman

I'd go for the same size in Evade as regular pro team and 1 size down from aero - medium for you. The 1 size up aero is noticeably longer in the body and sleeve for me (xs vs s, might be less of a difference for bigger sizes). MAAP offers free returns on full-priced items should you want to try both sizes though.
Also, if you didn't notice, the Echo Pro is available discounted in MAAP's archive sale section and it looks like there's still decent selection/inventory - just beware returns are not free and are stated to be store credit only for sale items.

Shrike

by Shrike

Thanks again GM, ended up going for M and L Evades since I can return for free, didn't realise that!

Definitely much classier looking than RAPHA's latest lines which tend to have massive RAPHA written on them, especially their new training jerseys. Very tacky looking, though guess it's appealing to the mega logo logo trend which is hype in fashion for a number of years now. If it sells well then, no worries for them to lose a small number of guys like me.

I got MAAP's bibs few weeks ago, Medium sized Pro Evo I think they're called. They fit more like a Pro Team small bib. Kept them anyway, they look good, little tight and have a few kg to lose yet so that's fine. Very racy feeling.

MAAP waistbands look a little odd in photos, glad you mentioned it, always wondered what their deal was there. Let you know how I get on with this Evade though the colour is 'purple ash' - I wanted a grey jersey, so hoping the purple doesn't stand out too much in real life and just looks grey.

Shrike

by Shrike

So update in case anyone stumbles across this when searching in the future!

The Evade purple ash jersey was really nice and yes definitely tighter fitting than an equivalent Rapha Pro Team sized jersey. Really big length difference between MAAP's L and M jerseys I notice too.

The purple ask colour was hideous in real life when light hits in. Absolutely appalling and you can tell the founders have spent a lot of time in the fashion industry and are fully conditioned by the seasonal cycle of having nice things ruined in some way (see their Unite beige vest - lovely but ruined again by having a bright yellow logo instead of white, which would have made it a core non-seasonal piece which I would have bought).

I did try the love colour Evade, and it was less drab looking than expected and actually really nice. Had to return it as it had a small hole under the armpit! I'd also ordered a medium navy training jersey at the same time there and ended up keeping that and have been riding it since. Really like this design. I think I'll order that olive Evade again, perhaps in the sale or just some day I'm bored. No real need for it as I've been smashing KOMs like a lout in the basic training jersey as it's nice and tight which has killed my motivation for a 'fast jersey'. I know it's nothing more than a second if lucky here and there, but I like the mentality of putting on fast kit when going for a KOM and TTing about.

Most impressive however are these MAAP Team Evo Bibs.

I cannot stress how much I loathe the stupid irridescent logo on them that flashes pink like a disco ball when light hits it. Turns them from lovely black/black bibs to black/hideous don't want to be seen dead in these in an instant.

That aside though to fit is amazing, and the chamois is great too. I've been doing massive mileage the last couple weeks and these have stopped my saddles sores. I'm now thinking I should size down in other bibs and maybe I've even been wearing the wrong bib size the whole time. Rapha Classic bibs in M now feel awful, even though they're definitely supposed to be fox my size (I'm size 32inch waist - and sometimes pack a fair bit of fat around that though, which has mostly come off recently thankfully).

The MAAP's in M barely fit me when I first tried them, but they're good now I've lost some weight and will fit better after I drop a few KG more. The whole time though they're been brilliant. Really, really compressive, and look great aside from the stupid logo thing. Might get a Navy/White pair if I see them on sale.

Style wise - I think MAAP is taking over from Rapha. MAAP's older stuff like the outline kit looks a bit naff as does a lot of their older designs, but this season and hopefully seasons to come is looking great. Just hope they do more core pieces in sensible colour/logo schemes. I'd love a beige vest, will see if MAAP do one next season with a white logo.

Generally speaking, think I'm in - happier to ride around in MAAP kit than RAPHA. Feel like RAPHA's lost their way a bit and is stuck in a design loop and throwing garish RAPHA logos in new places each season is their new thing. Hideous and a shame, they do make good kit otherwise (though their normal Pro Team bibs with horizontal RAPHA on the legs have always been horrible looking).

Side note - RAPHA's thermal Pro Team bibs are one of my favs, but the ass always wears out. I noticed on these new MAAP Team Evo Bibs that they say the material 'won't thin'.

Planning on putting that to the test! If true, I'll be hooked. ASSOS and RAPHA bibs have went in the bin each time due to material thinning out, even though the rest of the shorts were great condition. If MAAP have solved this and rolls it out across their line they've got a new loyal customer.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Does anyone have experience with their draft gilet? Looking for an aero gilet

ff119

by ff119

From a total aesthetics view i think Rapha looks better, I say this as a woman, for what it is worth

g32ecs

by g32ecs

I recently bought an Evade and the Pavement Pro jersey. I know Im always pushing the limits for a size Small as Im borderline Small-Medium but godamn, this one fits like a skinsuit. Im about 1 month away from comfortably putting this in and by that time comes it's already getting a bit cooler here 😬

I better get on this eating disorder quickly so I can enjoy these purchases.

Loi

by Loi

garbageman wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:43 pm
The short sleeve Rapha aero jersey is a lot tighter than the MAAP pro fit and regular Rapha Pro Team in the same size in my experience. The sleeves are slightly longer on the Rapha aero jersey compared to the MAAP Echo, IIRC. I size up in the short sleeve Rapha aero - long sleeve version is fine in my normal size.
I agree on the sleeves, but otherwise in my experience, the MAAP pro fit jerseys are tighter than Rapha's Pro Team Aero. Unless the MAAPs have gotten looser compared to previous models? Haven't tried the recent Evade or Echo.

garbageman

by garbageman

Loi wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:42 pm
I agree on the sleeves, but otherwise in my experience, the MAAP pro fit jerseys are tighter than Rapha's Pro Team Aero. Unless the MAAPs have gotten looser compared to previous models? Haven't tried the recent Evade or Echo.
In XS the Rapha aero short sleeve is definitely tighter than the MAAP Echo. I don't have any of the older MAAP jerseys so I can't comment on if they've gotten looser. XS Maap echo is tight but comfortable for me, whereas I could barely zip up XS Rapha aero. The sizing might scale differently between the two brands, so it might be different in larger sizes. Size S Rapha aero ss is actually a bit narrower in the mid torso than XS MAAP echo, which is in turn narrower than XS Rapha pro team.

After a direct comparison, I'll amend my earlier comments re: MAAP echo vs Rapha (regular) pro team, XS vs XS; the Echo is shorter and tighter (most notably in the chest/shoulders and sleeves) but has longer sleeves. I take the same size in each, but if Rapha pro team is a very tight or short/borderline fit, you'll probably need a size up in MAAP pro fit.

bqbs1234

by bqbs1234

Hi Shrike, how does the training jersey compare to Echo/Evade?

On the website, it looks like the fabric is identical, except for the sleeves. Happy to give the mesh sleeves a miss if that’s the only difference and the fit is the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shrike

by Shrike

bqbs1234 wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:56 am

On the website, it looks like the fabric is identical, except for the sleeves. Happy to give the mesh sleeves a miss if that’s the only difference and the fit is the same.

Yeah in person the material seems the same on the main body, but the overall impression is that the Evade is much more expensive. The Training Jersey fits tight like a Rapha Pro Team jersey and the Echo/Evade seems to be just a touch tighter again, but not as tight as say Rapha's Aero jersey. More panelling and the obvious one the posh sleeves like you mentioned on the Evade.

Honestly, I've been so pleased with the short sleeve Training jersey's fit and general usability that I bought a second one on sale in another colour this week. Maybe I'm losing a few watts somewhere but I'm KOM'ing everything I want in it and I love the style, super easy to wear and the design elements on the back are really cool and I don't have to deal with the MAAP across the front that you have on the Evade (which looks great and sporty, but I'm also wearing MAAP bibs and socks a lot now so that's a lot of MAAP logos already!). Between the Training Jersey and the Evade - I'm not seeing the massive jump in 'aerobes' that you would from say a Rapha Pro Team jersey (any of them) to a Pro Team Aero jersey (which is definitely designed to be as fast a jersey as they can make). It was because of that I built a little MAAP Training jersey collection now.

Evade material I would put a question mark over longevity on the arms as one I tried on already had a hole on the pit area, so if you go for that, maybe treat it well. The original Training jersey I got has been mistreated and still looks brand new. All the logos and design stuff still intact and hasn't faded yet. Think I paid £58 for a black one on sale this week.

Since starting the thread I've went pretty deep on MAAP (as I've got a reusable discount code which works out at nearly a permanent 30% off for a year) so if you have any questions on the following, fire away:
2 x Training Jerseys
Long Sleeve Training Jersey
Team Evo Bibs
Draft vest
Prime Stow vest
Team Base Layer vest
Thermal T
Prime New Era Cap
New Era Cap
Evade (Returned)

Long sleeve training jersey was a punt when I saw it go on sale, but really love it. It's more fitted than the same size Rapha Pro team Thermal Jersey comparing size mediums. Its material is much thicker than the short sleeve versions, and really is a thermal jersey. I least like the New Era Cap. Really terrible design, the sides kinda flare out, too much material. It shrunk in the wash thankfully and would only look stupid if worn alone. Under cap it's a nice flash of colour and soaks up sweat. The Prime New Era Cap is a kinda water resistant version and it's a much better design and fit. Prime Stow vest is much more orange, and has a retro feel to the colour for some reason, makes me feel like an 80s kid. No clue why, it's either hideous or amazing - love it either way. Draft vest is pretty fitted, I went for a size L in it, compared to M in the Training Jersey, but an M would be really aero, just not how I want it - I want to use it over thicker thermal kit as I got the fern colour. Will work for me in summer as a windbreaker and winter as a safety vest. Prime Vest more for when it's bucketing down. Thermal T shirt is expensive, but probably the nicest cut and style I've seen (I usually wear Rapha's thermal kit). The off white/grey colour looks really handsome - recommend it. Team Evo bibs broke for me - had them warrantied and replaced quickly. One part of the bib strap is attached by a single thin line of stitching (bottom part is heavily stitched - not sure why both parts aren't stitched heavily but my top part unravelled on both sides after two wears. If the replacement pair do the same I'll have tailor stitch it up properly.)

Recommend sizing one up on their Team Evo bibs compared to Rapha Pro team. I loved the fit of MAAP's size M as someone with 32 waist, but ultimately the Large is probably a smarter buy and wear that now. The chamois is my favourite - works perfectly for me with my saddle and position. It's thin but really dense. Super comfortable, wish all my bibs had this because MAAP's bibs are £££.

I have a discount voucher for MAAP that's reusable by the way, hence I put in a few separate orders using the code each time. Saved quite a bit that way!

I'm waiting for their winter kit to come out so I can see if they have a nice pair of thermal bib shorts. That's the sort of thing I tend to get most use out of, then think that will do me for a couple of seasons unless I get sucked in and feel the need for something more aero.

Hopefully within that there's something useful, but if you got questions give me a shout. A lot of this kit hasn't been put through any rigorous wear and tear yet, so jury is out, but overall - I'm really loving MAAP's style this season. It's clean, fun, sporty, nice colours, and the logos aren't ridiculous.

Worth noting I got dropped today by someone (and I think it was a woman) on a climb who was wearing what looked like full new Pro Team kit and PT gilet in green. Looked lovely in person the full kit, quality too.

BenSiskri

by BenSiskri

I think some of their Trinity kit is really nice (though I'm not sold on the current one).
Trek Crockett 4
Giant TCR Advanced 3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Since I read your entire post, can you share your discount code? 😀

Shrike wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:32 pm
bqbs1234 wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:56 am

Yeah in person the material seems the same on the main body, but the overall impression is that the Evade is much more expensive. The Training Jersey fits tight like a Rapha Pro Team jersey and the Echo/Evade seems to be just a touch tighter again, but not as tight as say Rapha's Aero jersey. More panelling and the obvious one the posh sleeves like you mentioned on the Evade.

Honestly, I've been so pleased with the short sleeve Training jersey's fit and general usability that I bought a second one on sale in another colour this week. Maybe I'm losing a few watts somewhere but I'm KOM'ing everything I want in it and I love the style, super easy to wear and the design elements on the back are really cool and I don't have to deal with the MAAP across the front that you have on the Evade (which looks great and sporty, but I'm also wearing MAAP bibs and socks a lot now so that's a lot of MAAP logos already!). Between the Training Jersey and the Evade - I'm not seeing the massive jump in 'aerobes' that you would from say a Rapha Pro Team jersey (any of them) to a Pro Team Aero jersey (which is definitely designed to be as fast a jersey as they can make). It was because of that I built a little MAAP Training jersey collection now.

Evade material I would put a question mark over longevity on the arms as one I tried on already had a hole on the pit area, so if you go for that, maybe treat it well. The original Training jersey I got has been mistreated and still looks brand new. All the logos and design stuff still intact and hasn't faded yet. Think I paid £58 for a black one on sale this week.

Since starting the thread I've went pretty deep on MAAP (as I've got a reusable discount code which works out at nearly a permanent 30% off for a year) so if you have any questions on the following, fire away:
2 x Training Jerseys
Long Sleeve Training Jersey
Team Evo Bibs
Draft vest
Prime Stow vest
Team Base Layer vest
Thermal T
Prime New Era Cap
New Era Cap
Evade (Returned)

Long sleeve training jersey was a punt when I saw it go on sale, but really love it. It's more fitted than the same size Rapha Pro team Thermal Jersey comparing size mediums. Its material is much thicker than the short sleeve versions, and really is a thermal jersey. I least like the New Era Cap. Really terrible design, the sides kinda flare out, too much material. It shrunk in the wash thankfully and would only look stupid if worn alone. Under cap it's a nice flash of colour and soaks up sweat. The Prime New Era Cap is a kinda water resistant version and it's a much better design and fit. Prime Stow vest is much more orange, and has a retro feel to the colour for some reason, makes me feel like an 80s kid. No clue why, it's either hideous or amazing - love it either way. Draft vest is pretty fitted, I went for a size L in it, compared to M in the Training Jersey, but an M would be really aero, just not how I want it - I want to use it over thicker thermal kit as I got the fern colour. Will work for me in summer as a windbreaker and winter as a safety vest. Prime Vest more for when it's bucketing down. Thermal T shirt is expensive, but probably the nicest cut and style I've seen (I usually wear Rapha's thermal kit). The off white/grey colour looks really handsome - recommend it. Team Evo bibs broke for me - had them warrantied and replaced quickly. One part of the bib strap is attached by a single thin line of stitching (bottom part is heavily stitched - not sure why both parts aren't stitched heavily but my top part unravelled on both sides after two wears. If the replacement pair do the same I'll have tailor stitch it up properly.)

Recommend sizing one up on their Team Evo bibs compared to Rapha Pro team. I loved the fit of MAAP's size M as someone with 32 waist, but ultimately the Large is probably a smarter buy and wear that now. The chamois is my favourite - works perfectly for me with my saddle and position. It's thin but really dense. Super comfortable, wish all my bibs had this because MAAP's bibs are £££.

I have a discount voucher for MAAP that's reusable by the way, hence I put in a few separate orders using the code each time. Saved quite a bit that way!

I'm waiting for their winter kit to come out so I can see if they have a nice pair of thermal bib shorts. That's the sort of thing I tend to get most use out of, then think that will do me for a couple of seasons unless I get sucked in and feel the need for something more aero.

Hopefully within that there's something useful, but if you got questions give me a shout. A lot of this kit hasn't been put through any rigorous wear and tear yet, so jury is out, but overall - I'm really loving MAAP's style this season. It's clean, fun, sporty, nice colours, and the logos aren't ridiculous.

Worth noting I got dropped today by someone (and I think it was a woman) on a climb who was wearing what looked like full new Pro Team kit and PT gilet in green. Looked lovely in person the full kit, quality too.