Sore achilles experiences

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

For the past couple years i am experiencing intermittent soreness in the achilles at the ankle level and a bit above. Sometimes the pain radiates in the heel and it becomes pretty nasty. Recently did ultrasound, doc said there is inflammation but nothing horrid (like tears etc)

I am yet to raise this with orthopedic / kineto as i had more pressing issues with them (knees)

Wondering what other peoples histories are. Did you find relief with a fit change? Saddle higher or lower, back or fw, cleat position?
What about shoes? Perhaps a more supple heel helps? Mine are stiff carbon tub style, but not too tight fit, and also i dont do crazy sprints etc
I have tried the usual calf and achilles stretch routines but they don't seem to help much....same for pushing the cleat as far back as possible.

Thanks!

synchronicity

by synchronicity

Is it tendon pain?
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Saddle too high, cleats too far forward or a combination of both. Your Achilles tendon and calves are under stress when your foot is pointed toe down, so anything you do to make it point down less often is beneficial.

Shoe heel cups don't matter that much, nor cleat rotation or lateral position. Those two cleat adjustments are more likely to affect your knees than your ankles.

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

I would have said my sh is perfect, or on the low side. On the flat my soles stay pretty much paralel to the ground, when i climb the heels drop hard. I get pain all around the front of the knee if i lower it 2mm (just tried this again a couple days ago. Cleats are almost fully back, but they can be tricked a few mm more with some dremel work.

What if my saddle is actually too low. This could stress the tendon from having too much heel-down.