Winter Jacket

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

la85

by la85

What's everyone's pick for a jacket for winter riding in sub zero degree Celsius riding?

Castelli Alpha ROS 2 Jacket rate well.

Will need for early morning riding in sub zero to 5 degrees Celsius. Both endurance and intervals do don't want to cook either.

Cheers!

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

I have a Castelli Alpha ROS (original) that I use for the coldest of days. Anything be 32F (0C) I wear a thermal baselayer as well. I typically like to be warmer than most people though so I can wear the jacket with only a light base layer clear up to ~50-55F (10-12C).

I've had warmer jackets, but none that have the form fitting cut I like.
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Castelli Espresso Duo.

PeytonM

by PeytonM

I have the castelli alpha ros v1 and it's an amazing piece of kit. A little to warm for me so I only use on the coldest days here. I only use below 5c. I have found if I undo the inner thermal then zip the shell back up I can extend the range a bit higher (maybe 8-10c) compared with just opening the shell.

Personally get way more use out of my gabba ros. But if your climate is cold go for it. Especially if you can find 40% off.

sychen

by sychen

I run cold... Our winter is 0 to 5deg celsius at its coldest mornings. I'm not sold on the castelli alpha ros.. I use a q36.5 long sleeve (layer 3) and I'm still getting cold chills and can alpha ros can get quite damp and heavy.

I actually like the castelli perfectto ros long sleeve paired with the same inner and add a Rapha insulated vest.

Both setup has the polartec alpha vest layer but the perfectto + vest combo tend to gives me less chills (due to a better windproof material on the arms and double up on the chest) and more flexibility. If it's a really a windy day I can always ditch the vest and go the full insulated rapha brevet jacket.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk