Question on TT

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

addictR1

by addictR1

i recently converted my 2018 TMR02 to a TT setup with Vision Metron TFA + Metron Hydration System. want to get into doing some sprint tri again. last time i tried sprint tri was 6yrs ago and DNF due to being rescued out from open water swim... a fear i need to overcome. anyways trying to get back into it.

i'm using a Fizik Transiro Mistica Kium saddle with mounts for my gorilla cages in the back. i'm running tubs, so trying to figure out how to carry my spare tub while other tools like sealant, etc. i dont' have a carry bag or case on the top tube, so would be open to get one to keep my tools there and save the rear cage for extra bottle of water.

how do you guys carry your tub and accessories when doing TT with older generation bikes. thanks.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

once you have a flat in a sprint tri.. it's over anyways. You can always strap a tire under your seat if you really need it. I've never needed a hydration system for a sprint tri either, but if that nose cone makes you more aero..why not. Use the extra cage for tools.. you really dont need that much water for sprints. If I drink too much I end up with side stiches on the run = no fun.

Like you said the disqual for the swim is something you need to overcome. I've seen plenty of people struggle in open water swims it's not for everyone.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

yea i know sprint tri i wont' need that much water. it's more for when i train on the road for longer distances. i'll see about changing how i fold the tub instead so it'll fit under the saddle. need to google it up.

as for open swim.. yea... before i only knew how to do breaststroke and figured that should be ok, but hell no. i got dropped so fast by ppl swimming freestyle, soon i was in the middle of the lake with ducks nearby me staring at me while taking a poop that float on top. very tramatizing. on top of that.. when weeds or whatever tangled my feet on every kick, imagery of harry potter scene where he's being grabbed underwater appeared. by then... a lifeguard sitting on a surf board kept asking if i was ok... i kept kicking the trying to swim, but seemed like i was not moving anywhere and ultimately got rescued up before i sank. after that, i used my 24hr fitness membership to teach myself to swim freestyle... i can't float for the life of me, till a friend recommended getting a ROKA short which helped me float and was able to swim freestyle... then COVID hit and 24hrs fitness gym i went to closed for good. :( figure i'll train my run and bike during this time and hopefully build up enough balls to overcome open swim.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I dont do tris on tubs, but my moots is on tubs and I just use a basic spedslev and strap the tire in. It's not pretty but it works.

I'm not a fast swimmer either( I think anyways, for an ex-lifeguard), which is why I've seen my fair share of people needing assistance and have actually provided some. If the tri is wetsuit legal at least get one with nice buoyancy waist down, or even wetsuit material shorts. My legs dont float either so I know the feeling.

My wife does not swim well , either does my daughter but they both use the Roka swim trunks. I use those in the pool it's like cheating. My recommendation for open water swim is not to worry and just start towards the back and pace yourself. Learn to breath from both sides and if you need to take a breath every stoke ..so be it. It really not worth getting kicked or climbed on in an open water swim.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

addictR1

by addictR1

thanks for the tip!

Andrew69

by Andrew69

addictR1 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:31 am
figure i'll train my run and bike during this time and hopefully build up enough balls to overcome open swim.
Open water swimming can be very weird for some people.
Ive seen people that are fish in a pool, really struggle in open water. Not because they cant swim, but they cant handle the fact they simply cant grab the edge of the pool if they get into trouble.

Learn to swim is obviously the most important advice, but the next best advice I could give you is to simply learn to relax in the water.
I remember my first tri where the conditions turned really rough right before the start and as soon as I got in the water and turned the first bouy, I started to panic as the waves swept over me.
Didnt help that 10 minutes earlier half of the pro girls walked out of the swim because it was too difficult.

I stopped swimming and quickly realised that I couldnt sink because of the wetsuit, so kept on going as best I could. Wasnt fast, but I did get through it

My wife was last out of the water and acutally finished last overall, but it didnt matter because she finished the race where over 30% of people pulled out of the race because the swim was so rough.
remember, this was out first ever tri and after that swim, we knew we could handle anything a race could throw at us

So learn to swim, get yourself a wetsuit if you can, but most importantly , you need to learn to relax in the water

Andrew69

by Andrew69

addictR1 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:44 am
how do you guys carry your tub and accessories when doing TT with older generation bikes. thanks.
Ive seen lots of tubs strapped to top tubes in Ironman races.
Out of the way but still aero

addictR1

by addictR1

@Andrew69: yea i totally paniced that day. first tri and before we entered into the lake, they kept annoucing "don't fight with the safeguards as they are there to help you if you get into trouble. we want you to come back alive. think of your loved ones and have a good race." i was like WTF... and plus it didn't help while we were being asked to move forward so others can be in the lake and sudden i see my friend that's over 6' tall sudden sanked into the lake. even he wasn't expect a cliff underneath. the lake was murky and couldn't see anything under 2" from the surface. so yea.. i totally panicked and freaked out.

Etienne

by Etienne

addictR1 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:31 am
then COVID hit and 24hrs fitness gym i went to closed for good.
I know it's not always possible but if you have acces to an open water spot (sea, lake) not to far, remember you can swim freestyle in 3-4 feet deep water and still feel secure :idea:

Then will come skill and confidence ... and you'll enjoy feeling free in the middle of a lake :wink:

addictR1

by addictR1

Well I live in San Jose CA so the lakes around me are not safe to swim in.. 😆

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com