GCNs Building The Ultimate Climbing Bike

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Hey all, in case no one has watched this episode off of GCNs Plus Films their is some interesting views on building of Canyons Ultimate disc and testing of weight vs climbing with Si. Obviously you have to have the subscription to see it unless they have done this episode on their Youtube channnel which is sometimes the case. Found it interesting.
https://plus.globalcyclingnetwork.com/w ... ke-1487513
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I can't watch it but I can assure you nothing they build up will better the bikes that some of the users here have. There were a few times when they talked about weightweenism in a condescending tone and I can't believe that their build will be anything spectacular.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

They use lightweight wheels, which in rim form are very light, but their disc offerings are heavy!
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

That and they didnt say what framesize they were using that I can recall but by the looks its 54. Still comes out pretty light though.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

Wookski

by Wookski

Yawn, I'm sure this garbage appeals to regular punters. Anyone spoilt by the truly epic bikes showcased on this forum will be left thinking "is that it? A f#%ken canyon?"

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

In 2019 Ollie was all ga-ga over a 4.28kg model.
Lots of GCN's currently featured "superlight" bikes are still over 6kg.
I don't think they read these forums.

synchronicity

by synchronicity

GCN, I dunno, it's all rather contrived, staged, scripted, fake. :?
GMBN tech is alright though.
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

northwestern

by northwestern

I hope you understand that everrything they do is an ad for bike brands. It has nothing to do with any actual science.

northwestern

by northwestern

UpFromOne wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 3:39 am
In 2019 Ollie was all ga-ga over a 4.28kg model.
Lots of GCN's currently featured "superlight" bikes are still over 6kg.
I don't think they read these forums.
The guy who owns that bike sold the exact wheels in the video on this forum.

MariusRO

by MariusRO

when your business model relies on money from advertisers..the "ethics" start to be a bit flexible

blaugrana

by blaugrana

MariusRO wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:09 pm
when your business model relies on money from advertisers..the "ethics" start to be a bit flexible
It's bothering me quite a lot how they barely label the ads so that people mistake them for editorial content. The only indication from GCN themselves that this video is an ad only appears in the thumbnail and you probably won't notice it unless you are looking for it.
Then on the video itself the Youtube interface warns you that the video "includes a paid promotion". But again, this is extremely misleading, because there a massive difference between having an ad inside the video (like many independent youtubers do these days) that doesn't influence anything, vs the whole video being an ad in itself. And then of course there's their "regular" content (as in not expicit ads), which seems to be sponsored as well, so it's still quite questionable how independent it really is (but we can easily guess).

I find the whole think so disgusting that I'm starting to regret subscribing to GCN+, even if it gives me access to almost every cycling race I want to watch for a very low price (at least for now), because I can't really justify supporting this kind of business model.

Flasher

by Flasher

blaugrana wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:24 pm
I find the whole think so disgusting that I'm starting to regret subscribing to GCN+, even if it gives me access to almost every cycling race I want to watch for a very low price (at least for now), because I can't really justify supporting this kind of business model.
Seems very strong, they are a business and to survive they need to make money, the content doesn't make itself.

Berzin1

by Berzin1

I'll listen to anything Manon Lloyd says, paid content or not. And the GCN kit is very nice.

blaugrana

by blaugrana

Flasher wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:18 pm
blaugrana wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:24 pm
Seems very strong, they are a business and to survive they need to make money, the content doesn't make itself.
Just to be clear, I'm not against ads, as long as it's very clear what is an ad and what isn't. Once we are at the point where one never knows whether what's being said is actual editorial content which reflects their expert opinion or something paid for by some brand or other, the content becomes completely worthless to me as a viewer.

Coincidentally, I just found out that GCN and Wahoo got in trouble for this in the past (https://cyclingindustry.news/asa-rules- ... standards/), though it doesn't seem like their ads are labeled much more explicitly nowadays.

kode54

by kode54

Cyclingtips.com also is starting to charge a fee. I thought the bike industry is booming with a scarcity in parts...with in stock parts getting full retail prices.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com