Gazelle bottom bracket - desperate for the WW brains trust

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

grover

by grover

Hi All,

This is definitely not WW. So apologies. All the googling and emailing has left me empty handed so I'm turning to this community of knowledge and I hope someone can help me in my non-WW pursuits.

I have a Gazelle Cabby. It is a >30kg cargo bike. I am trying to make it heavier with a Bafang mid drive e-bike conversion to cart my kids around.

I can't figure out how to remove the bottom bracket. It appears to be a press-fit square taper? It has no tooling and the product doesn't appear to have threads.

I think this is the replacement product.
https://hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/brand ... cket-wing/

Does anyone have any experience with this design? Hopefully someone from a country where Gazelle are more prevalent (I'm in Australia).

Thanks, John.

DvanW

by DvanW

Indeed a simple press in bottom bracket. Support the frame on the drive side and carefully tap it out with a hammer. If stuck you can apply some heat and it will come out easily.

You can easily mount the Bafang engine afterwards because those don't require threads in the BB. Pay good attention to the spacing of the engine. The drive side might touch the frame without some spacers. Good luck and kind regards from The Netherlands!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

grover

by grover

Thanks. I have tried the hammer from drive side, and non-drive side. Gently/carefully, then less so...

It is comfort that you are familiar with it and I'm on the right track. I'll try heat, and escalate my levels of carefully tapping it out with a hammer. Thanks!

DvanW

by DvanW

Try to heat the axle primarily and watch out for the paint. If this doesn't work there are other tricks but this is the safest method.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn MI 8 Pro met Tapatalk