Cycling Jersey Alterations?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ohjinguh9

by ohjinguh9

Has anyone had any success getting their cycling jerseys altered?
I'm inbtw sizes everywhere (neck much thicker than my torso) and wanted to get some jerseys taken in on the sides

micky

by micky

I had, especially in the past, clothing adjusted in sizing.
Normally in my case it was the sleeves being too flappy.

What you need to find is a person with the exact sewing machine as we're talking of some delicate fabrics.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ohjinguh9

by ohjinguh9

micky wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:06 pm
I had, especially in the past, clothing adjusted in sizing.
Normally in my case it was the sleeves being too flappy.

What you need to find is a person with the exact sewing machine as we're talking of some delicate fabrics.
this is what im concerned about as well. thanks for the info

LouisN

by LouisN

I never had success in finding one in my area. None of the "dressmakers" I talked to had machines (only possible in industy size) that could sew flat stitches with elastic strand. It'S possible with brands that are locally manufactured wich is pretty rare.
Many brands offer many different fit options through all sizes though.

Louis :)

ohjinguh9

by ohjinguh9

LouisN wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:42 pm
I never had success in finding one in my area. None of the "dressmakers" I talked to had machines (only possible in industy size) that could sew flat stitches with elastic strand.
this is what i figured. theres a brand im stuck with for the time being for a variety of reasons, and unfortunately with them im btw a M and L

Point

by Point

Slightly off topic. Just a thought, have you tried Cafe Du Cycliste? I've found for sizing they tend to fit wide necks to larger sizes but the torso tends to keep small. They're completely the wrong fit for me but might fit you...
Road - Burls Custom Ti
All Year - Rove ST
Gravel - Carbonda CFR 696
Instagram

ohjinguh9

by ohjinguh9

not a terribly huge fan of their stuff but ill take another look

micky

by micky

LouisN wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:42 pm
I never had success in finding one in my area. None of the "dressmakers" I talked to had machines (only possible in industy size) that could sew flat stitches with elastic strand. It'S possible with brands that are locally manufactured wich is pretty rare.
Many brands offer many different fit options through all sizes though.

Louis :)
Then I should consider myself lucky as I have an old lady in my small country side town who is always patient with me at fixing my ego dressing code. :lol:

The last one little job that I did was on a Rapha jacket, the insulated one, which in M size had very weird giant sleeves near armpits, while the next one I need to ask is to change the rear pockets on a jersey from 2 to 3.

blaugrana

by blaugrana

I had a road skinsuit (with pockets, not the TT kind) made tighter at the chest and waist, and it's definitely something I would recommend if you have difficulty finding clothes that fit perfectly (being tall and skinny is one example, or in the case skinsuits, also having more muscular legs than torso). The first place I asked couldn't do it because they didn't have the proper machines for elastic fabrics, but I ended up finding a place that could, and the results were great.

Look for places doing clothing alterations in your area and ask around, even if they don't specialize on cycling or sports stuff, they might be able to do it. Just make sure to explain very clearly how cycling clothes are supposed to fit and how tight you want them to be.

nismosr

by nismosr

Have you tried going to your local Dry Cleaner .. they usually do Alteration.I'm thinking about getting one of my Cafe du Cycliste Jacket shorten the sleeves by about couple inches.
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2022 Ridley Kanzo Adv Rival/GX AXS-Zipp 303s
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2022 Basso Palta 2-Rival/GX AXS-Zipp 303s
2023 Colnagno G3X-SRAM Force-Levante

Seven1816

by Seven1816

ohjinguh9 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:12 pm
Has anyone had any success getting their cycling jerseys altered?
I'm inbtw sizes everywhere (neck much thicker than my torso) and wanted to get some jerseys taken in on the sides
Yes! I followed the advice from TraceVelo on Youtube, disclaimer my jerseys are cheap ones, the wife was so kind to sew the seam as I am crap driving the sewing machine. When wearing them you cannot tell that they have been taking in at the sides to tighten the torso area. Quick search for TraceVelo.

ms6073

by ms6073

As already mentioned, flat-lock seams that are used to assembly most cycling garmins are done using an industrial machine, that because of cost constraints, are not typically available outside of the garmen industry.
nismosr wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:04 pm
Have you tried going to your local Dry Cleaner .. they usually do Alteration.I'm thinking about getting one of my Cafe du Cycliste Jacket shorten the sleeves by about couple inches.
I think a 3 or 4-thread serger overlock sewing machine can be used to make flat-lock seams for such alterations, but Dry Cleaners who offer alterations typically don't have such machines, but regular sewing machines that have an overlock seam function, or as a last resort, a zig-zag seam can be used.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

recoilfx

by recoilfx

Yes, I had several of my jersey's taken in by a local seamstress. If your seamstress doesn't have a serger, you can always ask for a zig zag stich which allows for stretch on the seams.