What’s the best bike GPS right now?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

spartacus

by spartacus

Looking for something that can navigate via ride with gps or something similar.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

uraqt

by uraqt

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/

and

https://the5krunner.com/

To many options and features for "best" short answer Garmin or Wahoo... it's been a while since I looked but Wahoo had better mapping for a while, however Garmin is catching up ...

C

uraqt

by uraqt

Also there is no "right now" all the companies push update and add new features and break old features...sorry

Sammutd88

by Sammutd88

I use a wahoo bolt, but as a pure GPS navigation device, the Hammerhead Karoo 2 looks the bee's knees from a mapping perspective.

Aikon

by Aikon

What riding do you do, is your eyesight ok with smaller screen sizes, do you do other sports you’d use it for?

I ride road, MTB & commute, (sometimes on rental bikes), plus I run, swim, Kayak, trail walk & indoor row, I use mapping & nav, so a Forerunner 945 is spot on, I considered upgrading to the Endure that just launched but it skips a few of the features I use on the 945.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Garmin hardware is great, software is crap
Wahoo has ok hardware, software is great

EdWiser

by EdWiser

Just started using the Karoo 2 and it is great. Has nice turn by turn and even if you missed a turn it reroutes quick. Has many different layouts for data.

kode54

by kode54

EdWiser wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:58 pm
Just started using the Karoo 2 and it is great. Has nice turn by turn and even if you missed a turn it reroutes quick. Has many different layouts for data.
I like the Karoo2, but have been pressing the wrong buttons, thus, deleting rides. Trying to get used to another UI takes time...but I like it so far.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

spartacus

by spartacus

Road riding and bikepacking. I ended up getting a garmin 830. I like the looks of the Karoo but it sounds like it has 1/2 the battery life. If it can't last at least an entire day it's a deal breaker.

kode54

by kode54

spartacus wrote:Road riding and bikepacking. I ended up getting a garmin 830. I like the looks of the Karoo but it sounds like it has 1/2 the battery life. If it can't last at least an entire day it's a deal breaker.
It lasts pretty long. Plus, there’s many ways to save battery life if you plan to be out on the bike for over 8 hrs+.

Turning down the brightness will help a lot. I have mine at 25% and can still view it during a bright afternoon. 40 mi later, I’m at 80%.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

ooo

by ooo

one with usb type-c connector
'

synchronicity

by synchronicity

Know that you cannot pan the maps with wahoo elemnt bolt, only zoom.
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Love my wahoo roam battery life is amazing and it's only once had a reset wobble. Easily one of my best ever bike purchases.
Formerly known as Curryinahurry

calleking

by calleking

I've been on a Elemnt Bolt for last 5 years or so. Does the job, always works. It's been great. To be fair my Garmin 800 Edge I had before that was rock solid too.

I just ordered a Karoo 2 as I think the mapping/routing functions and display will make exploring easier for me now that I have moved across the country.
Also, the unit being Android native has a huge upside in terms of functionality, side-loading apps and implementation cycles. I expect the Karoo 2 to get quite a lot of functionality and custom app compatibility down the road.
2023 Wilier Rave SLR
2022 Wilier Filante SLR
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

toride

by toride

I've been using a Garmin 1030 this year and I love it, only the other day used a handy little jem called Trailforks, it's a nav tool that when there are MTB routes locally it will find and download to device so you can follow the route.

Not to mention the new mapping facility, I had the Garmin 520 before and the 1030 is soooo much better, pretty hard to get lost tbh

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com