When to expect French and Italian passes to open (Bonette, Fauniera, Izoard...Les 7 Majeurs)

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Lozaen

by Lozaen

Hey there,

I'm hoping to reach out to cyclists who are experienced with passes in the Haute Alpe / Piemont region.
I am planning to do the "Les 7 Majeurs" this year. Since I will be starting a new job in June I would have plenty of time in May, but I am not sure if I should expect the passes to be open by mid or end on May.

What is your experience with the passes mentioned?
Interested in buying Carbonsport Lightweight wheels with broken spokes.

BMC Teammachine SLR01 Disc Team 2018|Ridley Helium | Kuota Kross|Cannondale Scalpel 29 Hi-Mod

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JamieG

by JamieG

This site may be helpful for the French side at least:

http://www.inforoute05.fr/www/index.html

Mid-May might be pushing it, I suspect. The last week in May might be your best bet.

campagowlo

by campagowlo

I think the Fauniera might be an issue in mid-May

Lozaen

by Lozaen

The Fauniera seems to be an issue any time...can't find proper information on status anywhere. Same goes for its second name Cuneo.
Lombarde seems also to be an issue until mid of june :(

@Jamie
Thanks for the link. In general the french passes seem to be better documented and more information is available on them in comparison to the italian ones.

BMC Teammachine SLR01 Disc Team 2018|Ridley Helium | Kuota Kross|Cannondale Scalpel 29 Hi-Mod

jdecraene85

by jdecraene85

I have done them all. I wouldn't go on an expedition like the 7 majeurs in May. Iseran is relatively north, and Fauniera remote. I would target half June, if possible. That's when I'm going this year :-) Not for the 7 majeurs in one ride though... not yet :-)

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

All you can do is watch the weather this Spring. If things heat up and the region has a warmer than normal Spring, it's possible. I've done most of the passes and the problem is that you cannot ride them if there is precipitation at that time of year. Even mid summer the Bonette gets snow regularely. You would also need an exceptional weather forecast for the day of your attempt and be prepared for low single digit temperatures even in good weather. If your plan is a one day ride, I'd think twice. To be up there at night...no thanks.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

This year there’s a lot of snow over here. A very warm April would be needed for you to be able to ride some of those passes in May. It’s going to be well into June this year, apparently.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

NickJHP

by NickJHP

For French passes, see the four scans at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9ww826q5ca6n ... 9BAea?dl=0.

The numbers inside the blue box next to each pass show the average closing and opening months - eg Isoard on the Alps map shows "10 . 6", meaning on average it closes in October and opens in June. Roads with light hash marks (e.g. Col de Larche on the Alps map) are cleared within 24 hours. Roads with heavy hash marks (e.g. Col de la Bonette, on the same map), are not cleared regularly.

Can't help with Italian passes.

Miller

by Miller

In 2018 I went up the Galibier on the day it officially opened for traffic. There had been a lot of snow that Spring. That date was 8th June.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Nice pic Miller
Formerly known as Curryinahurry

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Check this for Italian passes:

https://www.trueriders.it/news/apertura ... pini-2021/

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

basilic

by basilic

May is too early. Clearing the high passes is a lot of work, they are drilled out with heavy machinery, it's expensive. The big communication roads like col Agnel will be a priority, but not Sampeyre or Fauniera, they're just paved farming roads.
Unless they're in the Giro.

JKolmo

by JKolmo

Yeah nice one Miller!

micky

by micky

Very difficult to predict with this weather.
As already mentioned lot of snow but right now there's a little over average temperatures which might clean some roads and so on.

Lozaen

by Lozaen

Thanks for the input
@ XCproMD: Funny that most passes mentioned under that link are actually swiss passes, but thanks anyway.

I have ridden most of the passes in the past, incl. Galibier in light snowfall end of July, and definitely one has to decide whether or not to go on this trip on short notice anyway, but my aim was to decide whether or not I should consider this ride and start planning or if this was pointless from the beginning. Seems one shouldn's expect to be able to do it in may. I will keep an eye on the wheather and if by accident the passes seem to be open end of may, I might go in the trip last minute, but for the time being I will focus my planning on other tours.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com