When to expect French and Italian passes to open (Bonette, Fauniera, Izoard...Les 7 Majeurs)

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

basilic

by basilic

A bit OT...
I wasn't aware of the concept "les 7 majeurs", never heard that, so I googled it: https://www.les7majeurs.com/
So 12000m and 360km to do in 24 hrs, or 48 if you are a wimp.
For mere mortals, I say 3 days, or 4, to enoy it. Plus Izoard is not really in the loop...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lozaen

by Lozaen

Even though I am planning the "Wimp-version", I think this is even more challenging than everesting, what's also on my list for 2021.
I guess it's part of our spirit of time or "Zeitgeist", to strive for more and more extreme challenges.
While 10 to 20 years ago everyone would travel the world as often as they could and poste pictures from Machu Picchu, table mountain and ayers rock, if possible in the same year, now "every one" is walking, running or cycling across continents or climbing (virtually) the highest mountains on earth simply because it's possible :)

Read about the "Les 7 majeurs" in an italian cycling magazine (AlVento) and it really cought my attention right from the beginning.
Interested in buying Carbonsport Lightweight wheels with broken spokes.

BMC Teammachine SLR01 Disc Team 2018|Ridley Helium | Kuota Kross|Cannondale Scalpel 29 Hi-Mod

matteof93

by matteof93

Lozaen wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:34 am
Even though I am planning the "Wimp-version", I think this is even more challenging than everesting, what's also on my list for 2021.
I guess it's part of our spirit of time or "Zeitgeist", to strive for more and more extreme challenges.
While 10 to 20 years ago everyone would travel the world as often as they could and poste pictures from Machu Picchu, table mountain and ayers rock, if possible in the same year, now "every one" is walking, running or cycling across continents or climbing (virtually) the highest mountains on earth simply because it's possible :)

Read about the "Les 7 majeurs" in an italian cycling magazine (AlVento) and it really cought my attention right from the beginning.
You have found a local :beerchug:

I can guarantee that is 100% impossible to ride Les 7 Majeurs in May. You may find some of the cols opened by the end of May (especially in France) but you will never find the Agnello, Fauniera, Sampeyre and Lombarda opened all at once by the end of May.
However, we had almost no snow this year, with only 1 significant snowfall at the beginning of December and then almost nothing....basically the conditions now at the end of March are what you expect to find at the end of April or even at the beginning of May.

Take a look at this website https://webgis.arpa.piemonte.it/meteopiemonte/ and browse to the tab named "Misure", then "Neve al suolo". You can see how much snow there is for example at the top of the Lombarda and of the Agnello. You can also see temperature and wind.

In any case, because of the pandemic, local authorities will not rush to open cols between Italy and France. For sure you may try to climb the Agnello even if the road has not been properly cleared...but it really depends on how the weather will be in the next couple of months.

A suggestion: there are plenty of climbs in this region that you can do at the end of May. A little list:
  • Colle della Maddalena / Col de Larche
  • Colle della Scala / Col de l'Echelle
  • Nevache (Refuge Laval)
  • Izoard (never had a problem at the end of May)
  • Vars
  • Sestriere
  • Moncenisio
  • Rifugio Barbara Lowrie (by far the hardest)
  • Rifugio Willy Jervis (gravel recommended)
  • S.Anna di Vinadio
  • Colle del Preit

dolophonic

by dolophonic

listen to Matteof93 aint happening in May. you could try but bring your snow shoes !

dolophonic

by dolophonic

yeh nice one Miller ! what a boss.

Lozaen

by Lozaen

Thanks for the Info.
I will check the conditions. Unfortunately I am not sure whether or not authorities will allow me (living in switzerland) to visit Italy or France in May.
Alternatively I migh give it another try in August/September....hopefully the Covid-Situation will be more relaxed by that :)

Intereseting to read that there was below avarage snowfalls this winter in Italy/France since we had quite massive snowfalls here in Siwtzerland :thumbup:
Interested in buying Carbonsport Lightweight wheels with broken spokes.

BMC Teammachine SLR01 Disc Team 2018|Ridley Helium | Kuota Kross|Cannondale Scalpel 29 Hi-Mod

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Lombardy, Veneto and South Tyrol had good snowfall this season too.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Covid will be more of an issue than snow unfortunately. Numbers only going one way in Italy and France sadly
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

Miller

by Miller

dolophonic wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:17 am
yeh nice one Miller ! what a boss.
Thanks. I was anything but a boss that day but the photo is nice.