Titanium Spindles for PDM9100 and R8000

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

kppolich

by kppolich

https://titaniumplanet.com/en/products/ ... edals.html
https://titaniumplanet.com/en/products/ ... edals.html

Before:
ImageImage

After: Ultegra -53g and XTR - 41g
ImageImage

Other pics:
XTR Spindles (standard length) + Nuts

Ultegra Spindles (standard length) + Nuts

Single XTR Before

Single XTR After

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Those spindles will wear out fast and develop lots of play, shimano pedal design need steel spindels

kppolich

by kppolich

define fast and I'll check in here when that event occurrs.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

There have been reports of seizing and play after 500km, a search on the forum and you will find some experiences with them

AnkitS

by AnkitS

kppolich wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:50 pm
Well obviously there are too many factors to define "fast" for you. The preload on the bearings, grease used, force put into pedals and conditions ridden in will greatly affect the milage you get.
Either way, hardened steel against a cheap, soft, ti axle is stupid and just asking for trouble.

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

AnkitS wrote:
kppolich wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:50 pm
Well obviously there are too many factors to define "fast" for you. The preload on the bearings, grease used, force put into pedals and conditions ridden in will greatly affect the milage you get.
Either way, hardened steel against a cheap, soft, ti axle is stupid and just asking for trouble.
Since when is Ti soft???? What is the worst that can happen, maybe some premature wear????? I suspect with good grease and the correct preload adjustment these will be fine. Seems like a reasonable reduction in weight for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Euhm titanium has a hardness of 6 on the Mohs scale and Hardened steel 8.

Titanium axles work great on different pedal designs like speedplay, expedo...

Shimano’s pedal design only works well with steel axles. That’s why Dura Ace pedals have hollow steel axles and not titanium axles like its competitors

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Yea what robbosmans said. Ti is very very soft compared to hardened bearing steel. Since forever. I don't know what you are trying to achieve in proving us wrong.

kppolich

by kppolich

So when I put titanium bearings in this discussion can end?

robbosmans

by robbosmans

I didn’t want to start a discussion, I just wanted to warn you that a lot of members have tried these titanium axles in shimano pedals with various results, mostly bad.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

titanium bearings lol

kppolich

by kppolich

AnkitS wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:11 pm
titanium bearings lol
let's give it a try, for science.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/501428400/ ... acks-plain

Cleaner

by Cleaner

A general concept for bearing design for something where the bearings (balls) are a service item is that the bearing race (cone/cup) should be much harder than the balls riding against them. So if you use balls that are harder than the surface they wear on then your pedal spindle becomes the replaceable service item. Galling is another potential issue with titanium.

Shimano hardens the cups and cones in the axles/spindles with application of boron nitriding which is a good thing. If someone copies the geometry of the spindle and cuts it from titanium that is not sufficient to supply a part suitable for replacing the OEM part. The material certification of Chinese titamium is not something I would trust in a critical to safety application either.

iamraymond

by iamraymond

I posted in your SL7 thread, but wanted to chime in here again in case someone else looks for experinces when searching this thread.

I've been using the Titanium planet spindles on my DA 9000 pedals since last April and they're still spinning fine. To give some context, I've put around 7000km on them in that time, and I weigh 63kg with an FTP of around 230w. Installing them was straightforward, but I recommend that you 1) have a circlip tool and 2) mark the preload nuts with a permanent pen before opening them so you have a point of reference. I packed them with lots of Motorex grease (the green bike specific stuff).

I haven't opened them up to inspect them again because adjusting the preload is a PITA to get right. Maybe I'll do that sometime around 10k kms.

I'm surprised that the Ultegra pedals with the Titanium spindles are lighter than my ti-DA pedals. I have a pair of Ultegra R8000 pedals that might get the titanium treatment now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jekyll man

by jekyll man

iamraymond wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:47 pm

I'm surprised that the Ultegra pedals with the Titanium spindles are lighter than my ti-DA pedals. I have a pair of Ultegra R8000 pedals that might get the titanium treatment now.
Is that because the DA have an extra proper bearing?
Official cafe stop tester