Cycling in Milan

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

tepextate

by tepextate

Hey everyone,

I'm an American that will likely have to spend a few months in Milan starting in late Feb / early Mar due to work (don't worry, plan is to take a COVID test prior to leaving and quarantining immediately upon arrival).

I am super excited about the prospect of cycling in Milan and hopefully elsewhere in Italy as well. I'm debating which of my bikes makes more sense to bring, and figured WW would be a great place to ask since there are so many Europeans here. :D

I have a road bike that can fit up to 28mm tires (measured), as well as a gravel bike that can fit 42mm tires. I'd prefer to bring the road bike since it's mechanically simpler and lighter (rim brakes). Do you guys think the road bike will cut it, or would I be better off bringing the gravel bike (perhaps with 30-35mm tires)?

I know it sounds like an absurd question since people have been biking around on 23mm tires forever, but I've seen a few videos online and it seems like there are a lot of cobbles. So I'm wondering if it would make more sense to bring some fatter rubber for a better time.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

micky

by micky

Welcome to Italy.
Im not very clear about what kind of use you're aiming to do with your bike?
Is it for go to work/daily use or for training/riding?

I don't live in Milan but been there plenty of times for this and that and can't see myself cycling "in" the city.
You would most likely ride as far out as possible toward north most probably, where there's some very nice routes and smaller cities/villages.

Inside Milan it's total madness even with a car due to traffic, road conditions, and so on.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Nowadays there’s a reasonable amount of cycle ways in the city. Outside those it can be quite frantic as mentioned above. But cycling has definitely taken off in the last year in Milan.

This app can be great help to see the most cycling friendly routes in the city and surroundings

https://geoportale.comune.milano.it/Map ... 393&id=ags

If cycling for fitness is what you’re after, I’m using 23 mm rubber too at 67 kg. Yes, in the city there are cobbled streets, and the tramway rails can trap your wheel too, but in most cases you will not be charging down on those but just making your way out of the centre ( or downtown in American parlance :) ).

There are some very nice routes out of Milan such as the Naviglio Grande/Canale Villoresi cycle way system that would take you towards Malpensa/Varese by the Ticino channel system, or the Naviglio Pavese that joins Milan And Pavia. Also the Cernusco cycleway and the one to Monza.

Everything around Milan is as flat and level as it gets. If your into climbs you most likely will need taking a train or using a car. That will allow you to reach the Como and Maggiore lakes and the surrounding climbs. In my opinion you can’t leave Milan without riding in the lake Iseo area (Bergamo and Brescia provinces, 70 km from Milan, you could even ride there and back) and the many climbs with stunning views around. Some particularly hard, by the way. Go past Lake Iseo and into the Val Camonica and you’ll reach Aprica and Mortirolo, also accessible from Valtellina. From there, Gavia, Stelvio.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

tepextate

by tepextate

Hey guys,

Thanks for your feedback and sorry for not being clear! Yes, I'd be riding for fitness. :)

On the weekdays, I'm hoping there are some convenient spots where I can do loops for a workout. Might bring some rollers as well since I'm guessing the weather in March will be iffy for outside riding?

On the weekends, I'd love to go to Como, Maggiore, Monza, etc. as you suggested XCPro.

Sounds like 25mm tires (that inflate out to 28mm) should be fine based on what you're saying, XCPro - is that right? If so, I'll bring the road bike. Thank you for sharing that link as well, it's super helpful!

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Sure 25 mm will be enough. Very typical setup around here.

Just drop a message around here when you are in Milan and know which are you are located if you want further advise by then.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

tepextate

by tepextate

Perfect. Thank you for the advice. And I'll definitely take you up on that offer!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com