Cycling "dash-cam"

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

saldegracia

by saldegracia

Can anyone recommend a dash-cam for cycling? Obviously there are tons of action cams at all sorts of price points out there but none of them offer the kind of battery life or storage capacity you'd need on a multi-hour bike ride.

I am basically looking for something similar like the Cycliq models that can overwrite already recorded data but locks footage if an incident is detected.

https://cycliq.com/bike-cameras/fly12ce/

What I don't like about the Cycliq is that it comes with an integrated light which means it's quite bulky but I have not found anything else with a similar video feature set.

Anyone aware of a similar product?
Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Fuji Jari Carbon, Sensa Fermo SL, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Interested in something like this too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jekyll man

by jekyll man

There's a few threads on here regarding the Cycliq cams not lasting too long, esp the newer ones, and getting no support from the company.

Aldi had one on offer a few years ago but i've never seen it since , and struggled to find it under another name.

Aliexpress didn't really show much, but i did find a few options on gmarket (the korean sales site). Havent bought one but have used the site for other stuff.
Official cafe stop tester

saldegracia

by saldegracia

jekyll man wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:31 pm
There's a few threads on here regarding the Cycliq cams not lasting too long, esp the newer ones, and getting no support from the company.

Aldi had one on offer a few years ago but i've never seen it since , and struggled to find it under another name.

Aliexpress didn't really show much, but i did find a few options on gmarket (the korean sales site). Havent bought one but have used the site for other stuff.
Thanks for that. I did some digging and it seems this is the Aldi-cam, just sold at a much higher price: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ETC-Bicycle- ... 4153591983

There is also a front version on ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wifi-Full-HD ... 3828127191

Reviews for both aren't too encouraging though....
Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Fuji Jari Carbon, Sensa Fermo SL, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

Lewn777

by Lewn777

The local police in my area are running an ongoing 'operation snap' where they will prosecute drivers for poor driving from video footage. However the footage needs to be clear enough to be up to standard. I'm looking for something that can be fit, charge occasionally and mostly forget. Many motorists in my area have an attitude where they really think they can overtake cyclists on blind corners then cut in on them if it turns out there is something coming the other way. One of my cycle club mates had this happen to them recently and ended up in hospital and a bike in three pieces. Sometimes motorists use their vehicle as a weapon, or do close passes which is even worse. If I can upload clear footage the motorist they can get 6 points and and hundreds of pounds in fines. Usually I'd feel like a snitch but some of these drivers really need an attitude adjustment.

jlok

by jlok

How about strapping a tube shape external battery under the stem as power supply for GoPro?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

saldegracia

by saldegracia

Lewn777 wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:43 pm
The local police in my area are running an ongoing 'operation snap' where they will prosecute drivers for poor driving from video footage. However the footage needs to be clear enough to be up to standard. I'm looking for something that can be fit, charge occasionally and mostly forget. Many motorists in my area have an attitude where they really think they can overtake cyclists on blind corners then cut in on them if it turns out there is something coming the other way. One of my cycle club mates had this happen to them recently and ended up in hospital and a bike in three pieces. Sometimes motorists use their vehicle as a weapon, or do close passes which is even worse. If I can upload clear footage the motorist they can get 6 points and and hundreds of pounds in fines. Usually I'd feel like a snitch but some of these drivers really need an attitude adjustment.
That's exactly what I would like it for. There are too many drivers in this city who like to "teach cyclists a lesson" by overtaking them with minimal safety distance and at high speed. There are obviously rules in place to theoretically prevent that from happening but there far too few controls and little enforcement...I have no issues whatsoever with being a snitch on idiot drivers...actually it might save somebody's life in the future...

saldegracia

by saldegracia

jlok wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:52 pm
How about strapping a tube shape external battery under the stem as power supply for GoPro?
possible of course but ideally I'd like to avoid any botching and get some sort of integrated unit that is optimized for battery life and storage optimization, not image quality. IQ should be good not enough but this camera won't be needed for shooting Youtube videos or similar...

uraqt

by uraqt

I think the the best front camera went out of business

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ri ... -your-bike

I don't think the market is big enough, and that is very strange to me...

The "inprovements" to the Cycliq kind of re-enforce that the market is small, many feel that it's a step backwards ....I thought about getting the rideye but I ride in a very safe area and if I get hit I get hit, going to assume that it was a true accident...It's a after the fact I think the limited warring before you get hit is the way to go I think the next gen Garmin Varia is going to be the "one"

C

synchronicity

by synchronicity

Two drivers screamed at me last week (on the same ride). I was just riding along, minding my own business, and they try and scare you to see if you'll fall off (or get/give a reaction). :x Strongly considered getting a cam after that. :evil:
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

AndreLM

by AndreLM

A few days ago, I came across the Drift Ghost XL, that is supposed to have 540 min of battery life.

Resolution is limited to FHD and it is a boat anchor at 120g (and with a stupid mount system). Reviews don't look very promising to use as an action cam... Maybe it is acceptable for a dash cam?

It is just camera...no light.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

saldegracia

by saldegracia

AndreLM wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:57 pm
A few days ago, I came across the Drift Ghost XL, that is supposed to have 540 min of battery life.

Resolution is limited to FHD and it is a boat anchor at 120g (and with a stupid mount system). Reviews don't look very promising to use as an action cam... Maybe it is acceptable for a dash cam?

It is just camera...no light.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk
looks interesting...but yes, quite heavy and bulky, seems it's mainly meant for motorbike use...but it does have a dashcam mode and there is also a 4K version...