2021 PRO equipment thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

maquisard

by maquisard

flying wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:45 am
But hey yeah thanks great joke!
Let us know if you ever get cancer or heart surgery so we can all have a laugh too :wink:
Please point out where Miller or myself were making a joke about Brailsford having cancer or heart surgery?

:noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

robbosmans wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:45 pm
The Disc Pinarello does look very clean and seems to work great for them.
Pidcock.

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

Dylan van Baarle also rode with discs to 3rd place.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

ooo

by ooo

160+140 doesn't look as good as 160+160 or 140+140 rotors :\
'

Guevarca

by Guevarca

But if a tubeless disaster for Hirschi!
https://twitter.com/MatMitchell30/statu ... 15588?s=20

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Guevarca wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:13 am
But if a tubeless disaster for Hirschi!
https://twitter.com/MatMitchell30/statu ... 15588?s=20

In another set of photos, it looks like his Bora WTO rim failed at the hook/sidewall.

Stefano

by Stefano

In my opinion, this is the failure mode of tubeless that scares me the most.

In a clincher tire, if you smash your rim you usually pinch flat. In tubeless, it will hold air even if damaged, until it gives away later unexpectedly in a catastrophic blow off.

I don't understand how FMEA people at bike companies don't see this problem /why this isn't a bigger issue.

maquisard

by maquisard

Agree 100%

Like you say tire and rim needs to be designed for uses of the regular road rider and rough damaged roads.

Particularly in case of hookless. I listened a CyclingTips podcast with a Zipp Engineer about the benefit of hookless tubless rims. All of the benefits relate to production cost and reduced weight. Cycling tire design and QA of manufacturing now may have improved to the time when hookless is possible, but it is still good to have the rim hook in place to hold the tire should it rapidly lose pressure. Hookless is used in automotive industry yes, but characteristics of the tire are very different with much great mass in tire side wall and casing.

Lina

by Lina

Stefano wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:31 pm

In a clincher tire, if you smash your rim you usually pinch flat. In tubeless, it will hold air even if damaged, until it gives away later unexpectedly in a catastrophic blow off.

I don't understand how FMEA people at bike companies don't see this problem /why this isn't a bigger issue.
meh. Like 50% of the flats I used to get one clinchers were blowouts. Though that just tells more on how rare flats were for me with clinchers than anything else.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Stefano wrote:

The rim didn’t fail from impact. The carbon hook/sidewall blew apart. A regular clincher would have blown off the rim in the same way, with the added possibility of the tube getting wrapped around the hub/fork.

Miller

by Miller

Stefano wrote:
I've been riding only tubeless since about 2014 and not once ever has any tubeless tyre of mine blown off the rim. I've had a few unfixables, even rode 10km home once on a flat TLR tyre, and even that didn't come off the rim.

spud

by spud

I know the WW roadie crowd will never go for foam inserts, but they are accepted as the best compromise in MTB - low pressure for grip, foam to prevent hard rim bottoming.

grover

by grover

spud wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:02 pm
I know the WW roadie crowd will never go for foam inserts, but they are accepted as the best compromise in MTB - low pressure for grip, foam to prevent hard rim bottoming.
PRO teams are using foam inserts with road tubeless too. Trying to emulate the ride flat safety of a tubular.

DanW

by DanW

Even in DH not all pros run inserts. They aren't a magic fix and don't always protect the rim after a flat or stop the tyre coming off. It is more about backup rim protection in normal use (ie assuming the tyre is intact and holding air) and allowing you to use lower tyre pressures. The real magic fix you are seeing more an more in MTB seems to be alu rims ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

DanW wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:04 am
Even in DH not all pros run inserts. They aren't a magic fix and don't always protect the rim after a flat or stop the tyre coming off. It is more about backup rim protection in normal use (ie assuming the tyre is intact and holding air) and allowing you to use lower tyre pressures. The real magic fix you are seeing more an more in MTB seems to be alu rims ;)
Probably not. Rob Warner remarked that on a course like Snowshoe, teams running aluminum rims were ruining a rim per run where the guys on carbon were making it through qualy. For Enduro aluminum can make more sense looking at Jack Moir's incident but maybe carbon wouldn't have failed to begin with.