2021 PRO equipment thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

jcrr

by jcrr

Karvalo wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:38 pm
jcrr wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:30 pm
For all around use, mixed surfaces, rain or shine, year round. One tire to do it all. 8)
Do you run it that hard when it's raining?
Yes/no. I 'check' my tires with a quick finger squeeze, but I don't reach for the gauge/pump EVERY single time before I head out for a ride. For purposes of what you are wanting to know, yes.

I'm happy with continuing the conversation, but at some point let's move back to discussing pro equipment
"If it ain't broken, it could be lighter"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

jcrr wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:28 pm
I'm happy with continuing the conversation, but at some point let's move back to discussing pro equipment
Yesss, those interested can always go in the other 7253 threads discussing tire pressures or start a 7254th one... unless you are a pro jcrr? :mrgreen:

jcrr

by jcrr

Dan Gerous wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:47 pm
jcrr wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:28 pm
Yesss, those interested can always go in the other 7253 threads discussing tire pressures or start a 7254th one... unless you are a pro jcrr? :mrgreen:
Nope. Well, maybe in my dreams... :beerchug:

Now, c'mon- who has some intel on cool adjustments done for Roubaix? Did sealant save Colbrelli's rear tire? Was it an insert? Trek-Segafredo running 1x with a chain watcher was pretty smart.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Did Colbrelli puncture?

Some Paris-Roubaix photos from the team pits. Trek-Segafredo seem to have let each rider decide what setup they would use, Mads Pedersen and Quinn Simmons looked to be on tubulars, others on tubeless... and a Canyon-SRAM rider looks to have had a tubeless failure before the race even started.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Dan Gerous wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:38 pm
Did Colbrelli puncture?

Some Paris-Roubaix photos from the team pits. Trek-Segafredo seem to have let each rider decide what setup they would use, Mads Pedersen and Quinn Simmons looked to be on tubulars, others on tubeless... and a Canyon-SRAM rider looks to have had a tubeless failure before the race even started.

Doesn’t look like a tubeless failure. It looks like she wasn’t happy with the pressure in her tires and took it upon herself to let some air out. She probably opened the valve with it positioned at 6 o’clock and got a nice little surprise on her gloves.

jcrr

by jcrr

Dan Gerous wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:38 pm
Did Colbrelli puncture?

He did. Look up in instagram, there is a photo with a closeup of his rear wheel just after he finished, and his commentary that he finished with '2 flats' is making circles on different sites.

flying

by flying

Losing the QR seems like a step backwards but meh that's progress these days :roll:

AG2R riders had hex keys stuck to the seatposts to help with speedy wheel changes.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

flying wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:56 am
Losing the QR seems like a step backwards but meh that's progress these days :roll:

AG2R riders had hex keys stuck to the seatposts to help with speedy wheel changes.

Your ignorance and AG2R's incompetence is no excuse.

DT Swiss makes aero thru-axles and detachable handles with hex keys built in. No reason to strap big hex keys anywhere and the aero penalty of the handle is the same as with a QR if you leave it attached. You have the option of putting the handle in your jersey pocket, which isn't an option with QRs.

Anyway go ahead and highlight this kind of crap...it's utterly pointless because anyone with more than two brain cells wouldn't do this.

Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

IchDien

by IchDien

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:24 am

Anyway go ahead and highlight this kind of crap...it's utterly pointless because anyone with more than two brain cells wouldn't do this.
The whole of Quickstep also did it :lol:

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

IchDien wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:03 am

The whole of Quickstep also did it :lol:

They also started the race with regular clinchers and most of them finished the race on spare rear wheels with tubs. Many teams also ran resin pads. Lots of mistakes were made on Sunday.

Perhaps the hex keys were for some other contingency, since it looks like the AG2R bike has both a 5mm and 6mm, but I can't think of what else on a bike would use a 6mm besides, like, chainring bolts and pedal spindles.

IchDien

by IchDien

Mate, no-one is saying what they did was sacrosanct...just pointing it out.

Maybe we need to go back to the early traditions of the velodrome, but have a detachable hex key instead of a champagne cork hanging off the rear of your saddle :lol:

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

IchDien wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:19 am
Mate, no-one is saying what they did was sacrosanct...just pointing it out.

I'm just legitimately curious as to why teams would do it. Sagan had to grab a hex key from a team car that one year to tighten the bolts on his stem's steerer clamp, but you don't expect stuff like that to happen.

IchDien

by IchDien

Didn't a couple of riders tighten their headset mid race? All that rattling must make a few of them come loose.

Also I've no idea how the Roubaix's suspension works...maybe back up for that? I seem to recall a previous edition where a rider (Alaphillipe?) was fiddling all the time with his bike and people suspected he was "locking out" the suspension at certain points of the race.

This image from a previous race clearly shows Gilbert with it attached too so Quickstep are doing it consistently and for whatever unknown reason.

flying

by flying

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:24 am
Your ignorance and AG2R's incompetence is no excuse.
Whats up with folks like you & maquisard always calling people ignorant or stupid because their opinion does not match yours?

Perhaps you need a break from cycling or at least forums?
Because believe it or not none come here to hear the tone you two display constantly
Neither do you two own the only "right" opinion in cycling
....Chill........go ride a bike

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

flying wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:51 am

Whats up with folks like you & maquisard always calling people ignorant or stupid because their opinion does not match yours?

Perhaps you need a break from cycling or at least forums?
Because believe it or not none come here to hear the tone you two display constantly
Neither do you two own the only "right" opinion in cycling
....Chill........go ride a bike

Then don't frame TAs as inferior to QR for something as inane as this. It's not a problem, don't pretend it is, don't spread FUD and I won't feel compelled to respond. If they're carrying multiple sizes of hex keys, it's because they expect general equipment failure.

I'd rather someone link Peak Torque's video on the subject where he forgets TAs help brace against axial braking forces from disc brake calipers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com